Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:30:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jealousy  (Read 375 times)
Bpdsupporter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 02, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »

So who hasn't dealt with this with you pwBPD?

It can drive you crazy. My pwBPD has been accusing me of affairs for a while. At first I thought it was kinda cute. Like I was flattered that he thought all these guys liked me (I know I got issues Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)) But it swiftly turned sour and really began to hurt my feelings that he would think I would do such terrible things to him. Of course I would try my hardest to reassure him that I love only him. But he had concocted all this evidence that was "undeniable proof" that I was sleeping around with people right under his nose. (This proof was him planting recording devices in my purse or around my house and listening to them saying he could hear me with someone his paranoia was getting outta hand)

So for months my anxiety was mounting. I was so drained and depressed. And always trying to show him my loyalty, isolated myself from all male friends... Deleted any old male friends numbers and contacts, even got a new number, got off fb... etc. Basically was losing a sense of myself.

So you probably have been and are in this current situation. So what do you do?

What has worked best for me is I had to first start taking care of me. That included really getting my anxiety depression and health together. No more weed alcohol and unhealthy foods... more exercise. And prayer I had to go to God about all this. I also began to inform myself about BPD. Im a resesrch information junky anyway so it kinda became an obsession.  With better mental emotional and spirtual clarity. The light bulb finally went off. I realized that i never had validated his initital feelings ever. In fact I realized that all I ever did was consistently invalidate his experience. I began to see that my pwBPD was soo insecure and struggling so much with feelings of worthlessness. He's really really good looking so it just never occurred to me that he felt inadequate and had really really low self esteem.

I realized one day that despite how insanely abusive controlling and paranoid my pwBPD was acting... .He actually was really really afraid and feeling depressed and unworthy of love. He really thinks that I will just throw him a way and find someone else whose better looking and more desirable and better in bed. And the pain is unbearable. He always would talk about a gnawing feeling in his gut my response  oh that's probably indigestion or your just being paranoid. When I think back about it all I made alot of mistakes and was really insensitive and uncaring. It's hard to admit that cause he was such an a#$hole and cranky and controlling.

So basically I had to learn empathy validation and listening. I sat down one day and let him tell me again all his complaints. It was soo hard to hear because they are about me. But I just listened and then I repeated everything back to him. Then I really began to see how if I had BPD I might have come to those same conclusions. I took his hand and said wow it must really really hurt to think that someone could betray you that way. I'm so sorry I never took the time to listen to you. This has really been torturing you from some time.

He was like YES! You finally get it!

I thanked him for being so brave to share with me his feelings... .that's hard for anyone to do.

So this was the first of many conversations we had. He didn't just initial stop being jealous. And he's still trying to work it out and still comes to me about the same issues. But we talk about it and I just listen empathize and validate.

Your pwBPD needs loads and loads of this. BPD is a debilitating scary mental illness. It's stigmatized and our loved ones suffer so much. It's really challenging to do all this compassion when they get emotional. But learning these skills and taking care of yourself first will help you to get your life back. You are the only one who can change.

It really works!

Peace
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 05:33:20 AM »

To listen without instinctively trying to defend and justify, and in the process dismiss, is counter intuitive, but it makes a huge difference.

A pwBPD will catastrophize everything, and we automatically try to minimize in response. ie we try to override their perspective... very invalidating.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Bpdsupporter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »

Your absolutely right! It's interesting because when someone with BPD begans accusations from my experience he never was looking for me to defend myself or justify or even agree or disagree with him. He really just wanted to express his pain and have someone listen and connect. It was a huge wake up call for me. And it took a lot of that burden off my shoulders. I really had to work on empathy. It's not easy but the more I do it the less I take offense and the more he is calm and we can enjoy each other more. I'm really grateful for my pwBPD because these skills I use them with people in general. It's making me be a more compassionate and caring individual and my life is richer and more satisfying. God works in mysterious ways... .truly he does!
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »

What they say is not always a considered opinion but a reactive expression of the present thought or feeling that is running through their mind. Kind of thinking aloud. It provides a window into the the level of extreme motions in their mind. Reacting to these "premature" expressions can often fertilize these egg of an idea and start the ball rolling into a full blown distorted reality.

Often if you just let it wash it goes out like the tide and then a new, and sometimes opposite, thought washes in with the next tide. Hence you can get positive/negative/positive fluctuating serial "decisions'. Like a rapid fire decisiveness.

A healthy mind on the other hand can weigh up positives and negatives in parallel allowing the wise mind to make a balanced best option/compromise decision. Which in turn is easier to commit to.

It is hard to commit to anything when you get this constant ebb and flow of positive and negative thought competing for a place in the decision making role.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest