Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 09:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have to report a little piece of progress and brag on my SO  (Read 386 times)
AntigoneJayne

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:12 PM »

My partner, who I strongly suspect is living with BPD, had a little outburst last night.  He went from fine to angry in a matter of seconds and got verbally out of control "at" me.  He got angry at me and stated that we were going nowhere with this "stupid" relationship, and he hurled a few other insults at me.  Rather than getting into it with him, I simply told him, "Hey, I love you.  This isn't going to be a conversation that benefits us as individuals or as a couple, so I won't be responding to that."  He continued on with more anger.  I was actually deep down feeling the sting on some of the things he said, but I remembered about some of the things I have been reading up on, and I refused to try to argue or defend the irrational and hurtful things he was saying.  I said one more time, "Obviously you're having a rough time tonight.  I'm going to go to bed and hope tomorrow is a better day.  I love you very much."  I kissed him on the side of the cheek and went to sleep. 

Woke up this morning and he didn't say much to me.  But I got a text halfway through my work shift that stated:

"Hey babe . I'm not sure what my deal as last night, but I love you.  And I am very sorry." 

Smiling (click to insert in post)       

My partner NEVER just out of the blue apologizes like that.  I usually have to wait until he's calm, remind him of the things he said or did, and then he apologizes.  I dont know---this is exciting for me.  It's just a small bit of clarity and progress, and my soul needed this today. 

There is hope! 
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Bpdsupporter

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:38:18 AM »

You goo girl! Great use of validation and boundaries. You got this! I'm so happy for you. Thats so awesome to read!
AntigoneJayne

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 01:17:10 AM »

I am just so proud of him.  It made my day.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Every little inkling of self-awareness that he gains makes me feel more like, "okay, we can do this.  This is liveable." 

Bpdsupporter

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »

I felt the same way when I started using all these skills and taking care of myself. See when they are in an episode rationalizing just doesn't work. Listening and validation does! At least for me it works tremendously well in my relationship. You did an awesome job of setting a boundary but assuring him that you love him. Now he's gonna have an episode again but you will be prepared to really validate his pain. All they really want is for someone to connect with that. And with time if you listen and validate from jump the episodes won't have to build up to that point where they are insulting you or attacking you. So keep at it! This special relationship can work! Take it one day at a time. And let him fix his own problems.

Wait ago! Keep at it and stay positive!
Mummyfixit

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »

Great job. You both feel better and a pointless argument was avoided.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest