Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 09:28:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you like to know what pwBPD are taught in therapy about triggers?  (Read 389 times)
Lifewriter16

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: GF/BF only. We never lived together.

« on: April 15, 2016, 12:41:22 AM »

My BPDxbf sent me this summary about what he's been taught in Schema Therapy and a battering programme about dealing with triggers:

When we’re triggered, we feel intense negative emotions about a situation or event (anger, panic, sadness etc). We usually have fixed associations around our triggers (i.e. we make a connection between certain events and extreme emotions). We usually have a fixed response to a trigger (reactions such as avoidance or violence). We usually feel triggers are beyond our control and that they occur in the outside world. We can reduce the effect of triggers by using these steps:

• Accept that the trigger is inside your head and not in the outside world. The event that starts the trigger may be external, but it is your perception of that event and the emotional significance you attach to the event that makes it feel so big.

• Become aware of your triggers. Certain events will keep triggering you. Keeping a record of those events will help you find common threads between events and triggers.

• Find out what’s underneath the trigger. This can take time, but as you record the triggering events, write down any thoughts and feelings that occur around the event. This can help reduce the effect by identifying the underlying needs of the trigger.

• Allow the feelings that are triggered to come. Part of the reason that emotions overwhelm you is that you push the emotions down or associate them with something else.

• Change your behaviour. The essence of a trigger is that it is constant, and this is often precipitated by how you react. If you can change how we react or respond, you might be able to reduce the impact of the trigger.

I find myself wondering to what extent triggers in pwBPD differ from triggers in nons. I'd welcome any thoughts or comments.

Love Lifewriter x
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:10:13 AM »

I find myself wondering to what extent triggers in pwBPD differ from triggers in nons. I'd welcome any thoughts or comments.

Love Lifewriter x

They are much the same but amplified, most nons subconsciously apply these methods most of the time. For a pwBPD it is complicated further because they misread things to see triggers where others wouldn't.

For example being attacked triggers fight or flight. Same for everyone, the difference is the pwBPD interprets the actions of others as being attacked, when in fact no such intent is meant.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest