Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 12:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gfwBPD away on vacation  (Read 378 times)
burritoman

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 15, 2016, 11:06:05 PM »

My BPD girlfriend is overseas on a family vacation for another week and a half. As of today she's been gone a week. I spent most of last week with her, and when I drove her to the airport she couldn't have been more genuine and affectionate. She called me from the plane (before takeoff) with a very sweet and genuine "I love you." Now she has no cell reception, so we're limited to texting.  She was communicative during her waiting periods and layovers, but now that she's in the thick of the vacation her texts to me are short and monotone. She is also being very one-sided and hasn't once said "I love/miss you" or asked about how things are going on my end. Today for example she was in a hurry to get out and only texted me a couple of things (about her). Last night though she sent me a mirror selfie of her outfit (going to a wedding).

I respect that she's on vacation and her communication will be brief. I am not reaching out to her, but when she writes to me I am engaging. For the record, I suspect absolutely no foul play or infidelity here. She's simply caught up in the vacation.

It's only been a week, not much can change. However, it's causing me stress. She's causing me insecurity in thinking that she's changing, or will come back home and decide to leave me. These feelings I admit are grounded in nothing more than my insecurities and doubts, but those doubts are due to her behavior.

Is she like this because of her inherent selfish nature and one-sidedness? Or perhaps am I causing myself undue stress and thinking way too much into this? How can I last another week?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

burritoman

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »

My BPD girlfriend is overseas on a family vacation for another week and a half. As of today she's been gone a week. I spent most of last week with her, and when I drove her to the airport she couldn't have been more genuine and affectionate. She called me from the plane (before takeoff) with a very sweet and genuine "I love you." Now she has no cell reception, so we're limited to texting.  She was communicative during her waiting periods and layovers, but now that she's in the thick of the vacation her texts to me are short and monotone. She is also being very one-sided and hasn't once said "I love/miss you" or asked about how things are going on my end. Today for example she was in a hurry to get out and only texted me a couple of things (about her). Last night though she sent me a mirror selfie of her outfit (going to a wedding).

I respect that she's on vacation and her communication will be brief. I am not reaching out to her, but when she writes to me I am engaging. For the record, I suspect absolutely no foul play or infidelity here. She's simply caught up in the vacation.

It's only been a week, not much can change. However, it's causing me stress. She's causing me insecurity in thinking that she's changing, or will come back home and decide to leave me. These feelings I admit are grounded in nothing more than my insecurities and doubts, but those doubts are due to her behavior.

Is she like this because of her inherent selfish nature and one-sidedness? Or perhaps am I causing myself undue stress and thinking way too much into this? How can I last another week?

burritoman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:10:43 PM »

Oops. Please ignore/delete ^^this^^ quoted post.
Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »

There are two sides to this question... .

Is she like this because of her inherent selfish nature and one-sidedness? Or perhaps am I causing myself undue stress and thinking way too much into this?

Since she isn't telling you what this is about... .I think you are mostly driving yourself nuts wondering about it and overthinking it and fretting about it.

I'm not in a position to guess what she's thinking.

Have the two of you had had vacations or business trips or anything where you were separated for a couple weeks before? If so, how did they go?

Excerpt
How can I last another week?

Two suggestions:

1. Don't let yourself "explode" and text her with stuff about how upset you are now... .if you do, you are really likely to make sure that this is a relationship-injuring problem, when (so far) there is a good chance that it isn't.

When she returns, you may want to talk to her about how this had you feeling... .but if you can give her a warm loving welcome first, and put this talk off a couple days, I think it would be for the best.

2. Take good care of yourself while she's away.

Do things you enjoy. Get some exercise. Make sure you are eating well and sleeping well. Spend time with your friends or your family. Go fishing, read a good book, binge-watch something on Netflix. Whatever it is that makes you feel better, happier, and stronger.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest