Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:36:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I had to call the police lastnight on my BPDgf  (Read 894 times)
oz geary

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 27, 2016, 05:23:00 AM »

So late lastnight, me and my BPDgf were having a great time, we had a quite a few drinks and she got depressed, started talking about how she missed her dead grandparents. Then out of nowhere, she just started shouting at me, calling me names and then hit me. I was dealing with her great up till then. Then I lost my composure, I didn't lash back at her but I shouted and started recording audio on my phone. In the audio she clearly says I didn't do anything and that she has hit me. Then she got in her car and said she was going to drive home and that she wanted to kill herself. I had no choice but to call the police. They arrived and handcuffed her and took her away. I won't press any charges, I  gave a notebook statement that is for information purposes only, not for prosecution. I haven't slept in 24hours. She is still in custody, apparently still too drunk to give a statement. I've told her via txt that I still love her, I'm sorry, but I had to call police because she was violent and suicidal. I hate having to be the grown up. She has jeopardised my new job and accommodation,,, again. But I won't give up on her. She should not have to live a lonely depressed life. We've been together nearly 2 years, I've learned lots of skills from bpdfamily to help me cope and to help her. I can't give up on her. I'm waiting now to hear from the police and for her to be released. Her car is here so she has to come back. What should I do when she does? I'm trying to mentalise and keep a wisemind. I want to hug her and tell her I love her but will that work? Will that be enough? Or will she split me black and hate me, maybe even blank me? Any advice or just comments would be helpful, please x
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Indyan

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated for 15 months, court 4 months ago

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:18:52 AM »

But I won't give up on her. She should not have to live a lonely depressed life.

It took me 2 full years of mind struggling and drama to change my mind on this.

They always manage to make us feel sorry for them when they are never sorry for US.

You are not her saviour, and being a happy human being is up to her, you are not her happiness-maker. Unfortunately, they chose drama over peace, and destruction over constructive behaviour. And this is something you will never be able to change. The sooner you realize this, the better.

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but this is just the way things are.

Good luck - I know you'll disagree with this, and maybe even feel rather annoyed with what you feel is 'another negative comment', but please do keep this in mind for later.
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »

Hi Oz,

I think you did the right thing by calling the police, good for you!

A better idea even, may have been to call the police right when she hit you.  Your safety is not less important than hers, and when you think about it, someone that is hitting you really isn't behaving safely also.

Not only was she in danger of harming herself, but driving drunk, putting other people's lives in danger.

You may feel like you won't give up on her, but to be honest, it sounds like a part of you has given up on yourself?  (Jeopardizing your job and accomodations) Taking care of your self is the first step to any healthy relationship. 

Oz, airplane safety recommendations: "put on your oxygen mask first" are written for a reason.

What can you do for self care today?

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »

Hi oz geary,

I'm waiting now to hear from the police and for her to be released. Her car is here so she has to come back. What should I do when she does? I'm trying to mentalise and keep a wisemind. I want to hug her and tell her I love her but will that work? Will that be enough? Or will she split me black and hate me, maybe even blank me? Any advice or just comments would be helpful, please x

How did it go? I suspect she is going to feel guilty, ashamed, awkward, uncertain and fearful. As a result you may see upset and anger directed at you or the police. Validating these emotions and simply asking non-threating open question may be a way to approach her the next days.

Alcohol lowers boundaries. It may be best to avoid it. You can't control her but you can control yourself.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
ColdEthyl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »

But I won't give up on her. She should not have to live a lonely depressed life.

It took me 2 full years of mind struggling and drama to change my mind on this.

They always manage to make us feel sorry for them when they are never sorry for US.

You are not her saviour, and being a happy human being is up to her, you are not her happiness-maker. Unfortunately, they chose drama over peace, and destruction over constructive behaviour. And this is something you will never be able to change. The sooner you realize this, the better.

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but this is just the way things are.

Good luck - I know you'll disagree with this, and maybe even feel rather annoyed with what you feel is 'another negative comment', but please do keep this in mind for later.

With all due respect, that's your experience and opinion. "They" don't always chose drama over peace, and destruction over constructive behavior. This is the improving board... .not the detaching one.

@oz geary,

I'm glad you chose to call the police. My BPDh will dysregulate the most when he has drank, as well. Calling them if she hits you is a better move.

She very well could split you black. If she does, that's her choice. It's very difficult, but no matter what WE do, they own their responses. Tell her how you feel, and leave it at that. If she's angry, she's angry. I know that hurts... .it's taken me a few years to get to the point to where I can disconnect from the toxic responses.
Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »

That's a tough situation and I think you did the right thing.

I'd suggest you not apologize anymore for calling 911. If somebody is assaulting you, or threatening to commit suicide, that is exactly the kind of situation that emergency responders are there for, and it is beyond your ability to deal with it.

You don't want her having the idea that either of those actions is a way she can get you to do something (or not do something)!

... .as for what she's going to do? No idea, and a good bit of it depends on what happens to her--she could end up getting a mental health evaluation and getting some treatment, although the odds of that being the kind of program (months/years of DBT, for example) that can cure BPD isn't very likely.

What have you heard since, from her, police, her family, or anybody else?
Indyan

Relationship status: separated for 15 months, court 4 months ago

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »

This is the improving board... .not the detaching one.

Yes, sorry, I missed that point... .

Good luck all.
oz geary

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »

Update:: so she came out the police station very fearful and sorry and confused. She says she doesn't remember what happened... .Ok, I believe that. I forgave her, we kissed n everything was ok. We spent the next day together and went home late in the evening. When I got home we txt each other then it seemed to go down hill, I wasn't with her , I didn't care, I was horrible,,, it came from nowhere. After alot of talking we made up again but after that my boss new I'd had to call the police out (I lived on the same site that I worked) and he said I can't bring her there anymore. I broke down in tears at work, started telling them how I felt ,, so they "" let me go"" ! So that's another job I've lost coz I can't get it right with my BPDgf! Anyways I moved back to her house to live with her n her mum. We had a lovely few days,, I helped her on the garden and we went to the local council to apply for our own place to live then the other night, she started crying at dinner then saying that aliens rule the world and we r all doomed! I like conspiracy theories and I do believe we r controlled from the top but I'm not about to believe aliens rule the world and we have no hope. I told her this and it developed in a argument. I couldn't keep a wise mind, I couldn't mentalise. In the end I took some clothes n left. I've been sleeping on a friend's sofa since then,,, last Thursday night.

I want her to take me back tho. I can't stop thinking about her. My depression is at a massive low. I got a new job today but it's crap n I can't focus anyway. Thoughts from ppl very much appreciated ... U guys on here r a big help x

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »

Sounds tough

Sounds like you are a survivor, if you already have a new job, even if it isn't a very good one, and have found a place to crash. I'm glad to hear that.

As for advice? Try to keep a little distance from her so you can sort out your own feelings for at least a few days, maybe a week, at least as a start--you sound pretty vulnerable and fragile too.

Do you have any safe and wise friends you can talk to who will support you without being judgemental or anything?

Is any of your family supportive? And if so are they nearby?

What about your gf's mother? I'm guessing that she is probably not a safe support person for you... .her loyalties should lie with her daughter first... .and if her daughter is that messed up, her mother could well be part of the problem/cause, but you don't say anything there.

Have you ever seen a therapist/counselor? Or any kind of support group for yourself?

... .and my last bit of advice: Keep posting here your story, what you are feeling, and what is going on with your gf. This community is one safe place to share those feelings, even if you don't have any of the others I was asking about.

Hang in there, man!
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »

Sorry to be brief, on phone.

It sounds like you blame yourself for things that are out of your control. What is in control however is your choices. Making choices based on a false belief that you are more responsible than you actually are can be dangerous.

This could be a good time to sort out what things you are in control of and are not.

Also please be kind to yourself.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest