Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:15:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: introduction  (Read 356 times)
copernicus
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 08, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »

I'm male, age 62, a second marriage, married 17 yrs, My wife is undiagnosed but I feel sure from reading "Stop Caretaking the BPD/NPD",  that she is BPD. I stay because I believe the Bible is the word of the God of Creation, the God of Israel and that it shows us the way of life. To violate it, is to court disaster. I wouldn't be in this marriage if I hadn't violated my first covenant vow, but I won't do it again. My biggest problem with my marriage is a lack of intimacy. It's not that I want physical intimacy and it is not available. The problem is emotional intimacy is not available and therefore I have no desire for physical intimacy. Physical intimacy has been such a emotionally painful ordeal in the past, that I avoid it. I cannot flirt with my wife, she doesn't understand it. If it has to be explained or you have to apoligize and defend yourself. You learn to keep your mouth shut. I pretty much keep all my thoughts and opinions to myself. When my wife wants intimacy, I have a real difficult time going there. Yet I masterbate at times. I want intimacy its just that the cost is so high, i'd rather avoid it. We went to a Marriage intensive for "Intimate Anorexia" about 3 or 4 years ago. Cost a bunch. They said we were both Intimate Anorexics but I think I am a reactive I/A because of what I deal with. We worked the program for a couple of months but she was eventually able to sabatage the process and then it was all my fault, as it is with BPDs, right? I wasn't like this in my first marriage. I have two grown children from that marriage. It lasted 22 years. We have very few close friends. I tend to protect my relationships from my wife, all of them.

My wife has not worked in years and sometimes seems to me to be barely functional. She shops on line and I have'nt been able to stop her. She sees a counselor somtimes for her depression but I don't think it does much good. To suggest to her that she might have a problem would be to ask for a verbal beating. Her 86 year old mother is the same. Everything she says about her mother is true of her but she doesn't see it.  I feel really bad about not having sex with my wife because I know its not healthy and it's not supposed to be like that. This is May and we've been intimate 3 times this year so this is not just some man complaining. Is this common in these relationships?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:43:47 AM »

Welcome

copnicus

Unfortunately lack of intimacy is common in these relations. many members here have similar difficulties as yourself. The reasons vary a lot, and can be instigated by either side, or simply that so much time is spent "caring" that it almost becomes almost a patient /carer type relationship than a bonded couple. My wife is low functioning also and I strfggle with that aspect at times

To a pwBPD it can mean either a huge emotional vulnerability, or conversely have very little meaning. It is rarely just a natural and balanced thing. The result of this is that the partners , like you, start to regard it as a minefield they dare not venture into, to the point that it holds no attraction at all.

The key to it is finding out exactly what it does represent emotionally to your wife. I guess that was the focus of a lot of the therapy you have already tried?

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »

I'm sad to say that I, too, am one who lacks intimacy in my relationship. I blame myself for pulling away from him when he was abusing prescription drugs and alcohol. I became really disgusted by his behavior.

Lately he's made some positive changes regarding substance abuse, but we still haven't regained the close physical intimacy that we had years ago.

I think the issue is on both sides. In moments of candor, he's told me he's "afraid" of me. Considering that I'm a tiny woman who has never been physically intimidating nor am I verbally abusive, this has perplexed me.

Perhaps for both of us it's safer to have some distance from each other. And like what waverider says, it's become a minefield that neither of us is likely to venture into, nor holds much attraction.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest