Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:06:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationship Question  (Read 350 times)
ShesAsking
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 09, 2016, 11:32:30 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and I've recently started dating someone who has been diagnosed with BPD. I knew about everything before the relationship so I wasn't thrown off by the knowledge. I am not highly educated on the subject of BPD aside from the google explanations and I just want to be able to feel like I'm able to be the best me in this relationship. What I'm getting at is, how do I approach establishing an open communication about what is and is not okay? I'm well aware, and am able to handle the angry outbursts, but I want him to know that I will not tolerate them if they are aggressive towards myself. If he does have a fear or insecurity I am happy to talk it out with him, but not when they are being driven with an aggressive force or undertone. He makes me so happy, and I want this relationship to last, I just need a stronger knowledge on what to expect and how to handle things. Thanks for your help.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

Hi, I'm new here and I've recently started dating someone who has been diagnosed with BPD. I knew about everything before the relationship so I wasn't thrown off by the knowledge. I am not highly educated on the subject of BPD aside from the google explanations and I just want to be able to feel like I'm able to be the best me in this relationship. What I'm getting at is, how do I approach establishing an open communication about what is and is not okay? I'm well aware, and am able to handle the angry outbursts, but I want him to know that I will not tolerate them if they are aggressive towards myself. If he does have a fear or insecurity I am happy to talk it out with him, but not when they are being driven with an aggressive force or undertone. He makes me so happy, and I want this relationship to last, I just need a stronger knowledge on what to expect and how to handle things. Thanks for your help.

Welcome, it is a good start that you have found a place like this so that you can share and talk through your journey. The people here speak your language and can help guide you.

You will find that you have to adjust your ways in a fashion that seems counter intuitive.

What you are really talking about here is how to establish and maintain control of personal boundaries. This is essential.

What does take getting used to is that this is not a negotiated, and agreed to set of rules. When we try to do it that way all we end up with is a set of 'demands' which although may be agreed to are flouted in the moment. Your boundaries are determined soley by you, and enforced completely by your actions, and of which no one else is relied upon to be amenable with.

In short, your bluff will be called and that hard question of "well what you going to do about it?" will be tested. You need to be clear about this before setting any boundary. Neither do boundaries need to be discussed, they need to be actioned, and most importantly with consistency. They are not easy so you have to reserve them for essential issues.

Anyway you will get the hang of this and many other things. The process is to change you, rather than changing him, for that is what you can control.

Are there any specific issues that are concerning you to start with that you would like some pointers with?

Welcome to bpdfamily

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest