Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 04:43:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: examples of manipulation please  (Read 433 times)
foody

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: currently separating

« on: May 10, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »

Hello

as the title suggests, can folks give examples of how they were manipulated. After a 16 yr relationship with BPD gf the fog is lifting and I'm thinking more clearly about things she's accused me of.

The big one over the last few yrs is me being controlling. Eg. If i tell her she looks nice in something that implies i wamt her to wear it so im controlling.

She always says i get annoyed if she goes out with friends so im controlling. The truth is if i say lets go to the pub theres alwaya a reason not to, but when her friend says it she's there like a shot. So i say im only annoyed because you wont ho to the pub with me. This applies to lots of things, cinema, eating out. Etc.

Also if im just sitting in my own world i get -why you p@$/d off? Am i getting on your nerves? 

Then theres the 'dont want to talk about it. If you talk about it im going out ( very common). '

So any other examples?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 05:34:32 AM »

www.psychcentral.com/lib/how-to-spot-manipulation/

This article covers the different ways people can manipulate each other. IMHO, in a relationship with someone with BPD, both partners resort to one or more of these methods. On the part of the non- many are co-dependent. We behave in ways that keep the peace ( for the moment ). That in a sense is controlling the other person- because we don't want to set them off.

goateeki

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:27 AM »

The big one over the last few yrs is me being controlling. Eg. If i tell her she looks nice in something that implies i wamt her to wear it so im controlling.

I got this a lot.  It would be preceded by her telling me that she thinks she's unattractive, so I'd compliment her appearance -- usually her hair or how she looked in a certain outfit -- and some short period of time later she would tell me how controlling it was to say that, and that I said it only because I want her to wear certain things.  Hearing this was surprising to me, because like most guys, these things aren't super important, and honestly I thought she just looked good and was trying to make her feel better about her appearance after she'd been complaining about it.

I think women generally and women wBPD in particular place a lot of emphasis on appearance, in ways guys just can't understand, and there is zero benefit in a male partner being drawn into this vortex.  There is nothing you can do right in this zone of their lives. Just stay away.

Once I said that she looked nice, and she smiled, and then frowned, and said "So I didn't look nice yesterday?" Years later, I saw exactly that bit of dialogue played out in a sitcom, with us, the audience, encouraged to laugh at the insanity of it.  But that was my actual life for a very long time.

Everything you've pointed out here are things that existed in my life. Even the "I'm not going to talk about it" thing. Some upsetting event would occur, I'd want to discuss it, she'd turn on her heel and threaten to withdraw some thing that mattered to me, like dinner plans.  This also has been surprising to me as we're told women like to speak about their feelings and the relationship endlessly, while men don't, and in my case I was with a woman who outright refused to speak about issues or the relationship generally.  She seemed to fear it.  She once said that she was unable to speak about these things.

But life is much different now, I'm happy to say.
foody

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »

Notwendy thats a very interesting article. Thank you. Goateeki its only just coming clear whats been happening. I often get statements like " you dont care about me" at totally random times. Just thrown out there. Another is " i cant cope with the kids im going out" and just leaving so again i have to stay in to do bedtime etc. This is also used as a threat cause she knows I'll go and sort the kids out etc to keep the peace. At other times she'll put her vunerable mask on and give me a deep hug and say " sort it out for me" and then walk off.

Realisation is a crappy thing sometimes. I wish I'd found this sight yrs ago.
goateeki

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 19 years

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »

Notwendy thats a very interesting article. Thank you. Goateeki its only just coming clear whats been happening. I often get statements like " you dont care about me" at totally random times. Just thrown out there. Another is " i cant cope with the kids im going out" and just leaving so again i have to stay in to do bedtime etc. This is also used as a threat cause she knows I'll go and sort the kids out etc to keep the peace. At other times she'll put her vunerable mask on and give me a deep hug and say " sort it out for me" and then walk off.

Realisation is a crappy thing sometimes. I wish I'd found this sight yrs ago.

Foody, I have to say, reading again what you wrote, that I really do understand what you've been experiencing.  For me, the combination of "stiff arming" -- outright refusal to discuss the substance of any problem we had -- and faulting me for every imagined slight (even, as I said, when I'd done something like compliment her) made me feel over time that she just did not care about me.  We were married for 19 years and have two young children.

She has a history of real physical and emotional trauma, but something I've learned in therapy is that it's irrelevant.  I never believed I could ask anything of her, given her history.  I came to resent our relationship.  I honestly believe that though she could have done better, it would have taken a decade of therapy. 

It got so that whenever she got upset about something (which was often, and included such meaningless things as the way I slid clean dishes onto other clean dishes stacked in the cupboard), I could predict her response to my effort to try and work it out.  If, for example, I said something like "It's hard for me to understand why the way I stack plates is so important to you or why it bothers you so much" she could only respond with something like "I'm a terrible person. Don't listen to me." Or she would withdraw some thing that I cared about, like telling me that I'd better not touch her or that she no longer wanted to go to a film we'd planned to go to, etc.  Once I said to her that she had so many very specific expectations of me that she was bound to be unhappy with me. This drove her crazy.  She was relentlessly focused on others and their shortcomings. Me in particular.     

I'll pass along one critical thing that my T has told me.  He has said that the hardest thing for people in my position to do is to see the behavior and believe it.  Believe that yes, this is who she is. And refrain from explaining it or excusing it. I mention this to you because of what you say about realization being a terrible thing.  It's terrible, but you're also getting in touch with the reality of the situation.  Maybe there is an unending sense of need in this woman that no one will ever be able to fill.  For me, I saw this in the way my ex would fixate on one person after another (usually a female friend), idealize them, stay on the phone with them until midnight, and when her friend finally couldn't take it anymore and would cut her off, she would be devastated.

I've been with my girlfriend for a year and a half now.  She isn't perfect, she's human, and sometimes things happen that upset her. But she responds in such a healthy, productive way. She works things out, reconciles herself, and moves on.  She is at her core a happy person.  For me, life has gone from being something like a prison, or monochromatic, to freedom and vivid color.  I feel so much more alive than I once did. 
foody

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »

Thanks goateeki.

I find it really unerving hnow how so much of this behaviour is experienced by so many different people. Ive read things people have written and ive experienced exactly the same thing, sometimes word for word. I dont want us to split but now im realising how refreshing it it just thinking and focusing on me not her, not having to to constantly worry about her. She was in an irritable mood yesterday because she had to collect our daughter from school. I just carried on as if everything was normal. Didnt rise to it, just carried on my chores amd sorting the kids out. She stormed off to bed at 6pm, came back dowm ten minutes later and lay on the sofa. I just lwgt her to it. After an hour or so the mood lifted amd she was lovely.

I cant be bothered with it anymore. Even if she was opem to discussing sorting things out i dont think I'm interested. Shame really.she'll never chamge cause sje wont accept theres anything wrong with her.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest