Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 07:42:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone with borderline change without therapy  (Read 376 times)
confused73

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 17, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »

I have been with my husband for 20 years and I found out he has been casually hooking up with people I have suspected for a long time but never had anything solid just alot of little clues and a sick to my stomach feeling he has never been honest about anything that has to do with sex even between us he can't be honest it took me leaving him to finally admit that he masterbates but says he has stopped and said he don't even like the word I told him I don't want him to stop it is a normal part of being a sexual being just not to lye to me.But the kicker is he is still masterbating and lying about it. So with all the discrepancies that have came out which he is in strong denial about even though I have recordings of it he tells me it is not real I almost feel like he is trying to brainwash me.So can I really trust him when he says he seriously wants to change he wants nothing more out of life then to be with me and he wants to be completly transparant.I should also add that he is a truckdriver home every night but there is some serious evidence that he is bi(when he was over the road for 7 months he brought a pair of mens pants and underware home in his dirty clothes there is more evidence he is bi but this is one of the things I have witnessed) and he masterbates in his vehicle alot.I feel like I am trapped in  a situation I can have no resolution from
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

C.Stein

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:16:40 AM »

Hello  ,

I can understand the doubt and confusion you are feeling.  Knowing in your gut something is not right but never being able to completely know for sure.  This was my entire relationship with my exBPD.  My gut instincts said she was not being completely honest with me at times, little signs that something was not as she made it seem.   I always ended up giving her the benefit of the doubt but those gut instincts never went away.

The brainwashed feeling is known as gaslighting.  It can really mess up your head, causing you to doubt everything. The lying that your husband is doing could be due to many different reasons.  With a pwBPD one of the those reasons would be to avoid shame, which could also be the reason why you husband is lying.

What makes you think he suffers from BPD?    
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:21 AM »

Can someone with borderline change without therapy?  One of the pioneers on BPD recovery, Marsha Lineham, a few years ago revealed that she herself had suffered from it and and recovered.

www.psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/06/27/marsha-linehan-acknowledges-her-own-struggle-with-borderline-personality-disorder/

However, by all accounts self-recovery is an exceedingly rare accomplishment.  Generally, for most people, long term experienced and trusted guidance is required.

• A person must first stop the Denial and Blame-Shifting.  How can a person recover if there is no problem or it is someone else's fault?

• A person should have guidance - intensive or meaningful therapy is crucial.

• A person must diligently apply the counsel in life, perceptions and behaviors.

• A person must stick with it for years - there are no "quick fixes".

Do you see that?

confused73

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »

He has never been formally diagnosed and refuses because he does not want that on his record but he fits alot of the traits to a t he took an online test and it came back severe he says he don't think he is severe but in the middle I used to think he was narcissistic, passive aggressive and a sex addict, but learning about BPD and reading the posts it really fits.I guess I just wanted some hope that he could change on his own because he seems so sincere even though he cannot come clean and face his other side. Even though he has hurt me and I have been confused for the last 10 years I can't seem to hurt him (leave him) he puts me on a pedestal to my face and hates the hell out of me behind my back.I genuinely care about him but I can't stay and I don't know how to leave.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »

Have you pondered the 5 stages of grieving a loss?  Where would you place yourself?  Have you come to "acceptance" yet?

PERSPECTIVES: The Five Stages of Grieving a Relationship Loss

confused73

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »

Wow I have been in a circle of the first 3 stages for several years I just hit the stage of its really over but it is extremely hard for me to accept.

Do you have any suggestions on how to start moving forward
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest