Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 06:17:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selfish vs self protection  (Read 401 times)
badknees1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »

Maybe some of you could help me sort out my confusion about setting bounderies. When I am in conflict with my BPD wife, I employ validation and JADE. Sometimes, though, the barrage from her is just to much so I say... stop yelling at me, lower your voice, I'll listen then or your being abusive right now so I am going. I feel selfish because maybe I am being too sensitive. Another scenario is when I need sleep. I will tell her I am going to sleep. She will react angrily to that saying she is awake and had a bad day and I don't care about her day... ."go ahead take care of yourself" rings out. I care about her day, but I need sleep but maybe I don't. I might just not to want to hear her negative feelings of the day or I need to just relax etc. When am I a loving caring husband and when am I being a jerk? I seem unable to justify me to myself sometimes. I don't want to be a doormat but also don't want to be a jerk.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jessica84

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

It is not selfish to use boundaries to protect yourself. It is ok to walk away from verbal abuse and take care of yourself. I'm not always successful at this, but I try to withdraw before things escalate.

Pay attention to your body. You know when you're tired, hungry, stressed, not in the mood, etc. Pushing yourself to exhaustion for her sake is not healthy for you.

Maybe try SET with a boundary?

Support - I can see you're upset and need to talk.

Empathy - I'm sorry you had a bad day, and I really want to hear about it.

Truth - I need to get some sleep right now.

Boundary - Let's talk in the morning when I'm fresh so I can give you my full attention.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

Maybe some of you could help me sort out my confusion about setting bounderies. When I am in conflict with my BPD wife, I employ validation and JADE. Sometimes, though, the barrage from her is just to much so I say... stop yelling at me, lower your voice, I'll listen then or your being abusive right now so I am going. I feel selfish because maybe I am being too sensitive. Another scenario is when I need sleep. I will tell her I am going to sleep. She will react angrily to that saying she is awake and had a bad day and I don't care about her day... ."go ahead take care of yourself" rings out. I care about her day, but I need sleep but maybe I don't. I might just not to want to hear her negative feelings of the day or I need to just relax etc. When am I a loving caring husband and when am I being a jerk? I seem unable to justify me to myself sometimes. I don't want to be a doormat but also don't want to be a jerk.

Boundaries are not about fairness, they are about knowing your limits and self preservation. You do nobody any favors by trying to battle on past the point where you are being overwhelmed. Thats when you start reacting badly

As you get better at dealing with issues then you can adjust your boundaries as you patience and tolerance develops. A person with little regards to the boundaries of others will always push them, no matter where they are set, and guilt is their weapon of choice. Self doubt is our greatest weakness.

Listen to your gut feeling, that is your body's alarm bell.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
badknees1

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »

Thank you for the responses. I was not aware of SET... .this is cool. It gives me a script I can go to. Self doubt/second guessing myself has always plagued me. Using Jade has indeed given me confidence. One would think it would not because I am not firing back answers at the rage. But it does work and inklings of a backbone are beginning in me. Next week I begin the NAMI Family to Family 12 week course. I am cautiously optimistic JADE, SET, and the NAMI course can restore some of the me that has been lost and in the process love my wife more than just surviving.
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »

The idea is not to JADE, that puts you on the back food and backing into a position of vulnerability

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest