Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep calm long term  (Read 349 times)
BowlOfPetunias

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 31, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »

For the past few months, I have been somewhat successful in not matching my wife's anger with my own.  I have also had success with validating.

Recently, however, she has started falling back into some of her rage behavior, and I find it difficult to remember to validate her emotions and keep calm.

This weekend, we were driving with our two kids and my son's friend.  There were arguments going on between my wife, son, and daughter, so I was already tense.  I was using GPS, and it told me to take a right.  I pointed out the no right turn sign, but then noticed that the pavement had a lane painted for right-hand turns.  I said that this design was stupid.  She then took this as criticism of her!  Fortunately, I did not react to strongly, but I was unable to do anything about the raging fight between her and the kids.

She fell back into another pattern this week.  My son says he really appreciates my role in defending him against his mother's rage.  That does not mean, however, that he will obey me.  I try and try to get him to do his homework, but he always says "I'm coming" and does not come to do it.  He will go to watch TV when I explicitly tell him not to.  This happened while my wife was out of the house this weekend.  When she got home, she started to blow up at me for not being able to control him--when she can't do any better.  Again, I found it very hard to stay calm and not fight back in self defense.  (I also explained to my son that it is very hard for me to defend him if he refuses to improve his behavior when I try to get him to do his homework/clean his room/etc. without the abusive behavior exhibited by his mother.)  She did later apologize for taking it out on me.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »

hi BowlOfPetunias  

i find that a great deal of what helps these relationships, any relationship really, is an acceptance of who your partner is. this leads to depersonalization, even when behavior toward you is hurtful, and it leads to far less tension on your end.

youre improving a lot of things on your end already - your wife is criticizing you in the face of it. getting ourselves on a sure footing, being objective, and open, but confident in our own actions goes a long way toward depersonalizing someone elses criticism. being objective and open informs that confidence. it sure doesnt hurt when you get an apology as you did, but odds are, one of you is better equipped to deal with stress.

have you had the opportunity to read about Radical Acceptance? i think youve made great strides toward reaching it.

i have virtually no experience in setting boundaries when it comes to parenting, and children, im hoping others can chime in on that subject Smiling (click to insert in post)

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest