Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:24:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie. Not sure how this works. But here's my deal  (Read 340 times)
OldDude
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: June 06, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »

Uh hello... .

I'm 59.  My wife (2nd wife) is 54.  We've been married 5.5 years. 

I knew she had traits of BPD although she denies that she is - or has in the past.  We don't talk about the BPD subject.  She admits to "major depression" and had had it in the past and also "anxiety".  So when I talk to her about mental health issues it is either depression or anxiety. 

Currently she reports being majorly depressed, is very anxious particularly in the morning.  And often goes off driving sometimes in tears, sometimes not - just sad-mad looking for who knows what reason.  She says she screams in the car sometimes and sits in parking lots and cries. 

We got into an argument about who said what in a relatively innocuous discussion that turned bad suddenly and then she started attacking me and not really making sense (ranting at me for minutes on end and then saying I don't let her talk and interrupt her constantly - and other stuff that was even more bizarre).  This is not new - but was more intense than any difficulty we've had in some years. 

She has driven off and has been staying in a hotel 200 miles away.  We've been texting a bit.  She says she is trying to become un-depressed.  I say ok take your time.

Now. She is resistant to depression treatment - says she doesn't like the state of mind SRIs give or other depression drugs.

When younger age had two bouts of anorexia, had treatment, but says she only recovered after she decided she wanted to. 

I need advice/expertise.  How to attract her to treatment for BPD-trait.  I believe it is the primary problem anyway - but I am not confident that I really know anything. 

Thanks for reading. 

Old Dude
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »

hi OldDude and Welcome

mental illness is challenging to live with for those living with it and those that love them. im glad you found us, this is a great place to get support for yourself, as well as learn skills and tools to help you best support your wife. a great place to start is with the lessons directly to the right. there, you can learn communication tools that can come in very handy for the fights that start off small and escalate (the ones that start off big too).

its interesting that your wife said that she only recovered after she decided she want to; i think this statement applies to everyone, its a very personal choice that must be made on our own, and, for example, pushing can backfire.

can you share a bit more about the history of your relationship, and the dynamics of the relationship - the ways you have tried to support her struggles, as well as what you are able to do as far as taking care of yourself? these will help us to know more and better support you.

please keep posting OldDude. youre in the right place Smiling (click to insert in post)

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest