Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: not rushing while not rejecting: where is the balance?  (Read 483 times)
patientandclear

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: single

« on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »

Hi all.  I'm a rare poster on this board, but my ex wuBPD is back in touch with me and I want to practice skills Smiling (click to insert in post)

Effective boundaries over three years have him accepting that the thing he is most comfortable with -- where he is my intimate "friend" and we are partners in all but name (oh, and no physical relationship), and he sometimes pursues romance with other women -- does not work for me.  We've had long periods of no communication because he won't work with me on less than an intimate connection (constantly pushing for more in a way that is hard to draw lines around, though if I get to this point again, I'll be more hard line about that), and I won't proceed with the intimate dynamic he wants without some assurance that we are actually working on a real relationship.

Anyway, after nearly a year apart, he got back in touch recently and proposed that we explore where we could go together with no per se limitations out of the box.  This is all I've asked, going back years.  So I said yes (which is "opposite action" for me -- I usually would have a whole list of hoops he needed to jump through to prove to me that this was not going to fall apart, that he was really really sure, etc.  I've done a lot of work on accepting who he is and what happens with him, and the truth is, he may never be "really really sure" and his feelings are going to change.  I've been working on my own reactivity and tendency to jump to dire conclusions just because he has a moment of doubt.  Anyway, this time, he offered what I needed, so I said yes).

We both said words about going slow, but he almost immediately began pushing to see each other (we live 4 hours apart), and to begin a physical relationship again.  (We have not yet seen each other--that is planned for a couple weeks from now.)  And now, predictably, he is getting cold feet, wondering if this is fated to fail, he thinks we are probably not compatible, and so on.

This is a good test of my "don't take it personally" skills and my radical acceptance skills and whether I've dealt with my own rejection anxiety.  So far, so good.  I am going to try to let him work this out on his own, without me jumping in to solve it or advise him or ... .

But I do have a thought that maybe I should offer that we don't need to have a weekend-long visit, not yet.  To relieve the pressure that may be causing.  However.  In the past, I've done stuff like that, which created an easy way for him to resolve his feelings but put us in the very position I don't want to be in: effectively, intimate friends.  Also, in the past, I have prematurely determined that things would go badly and so I would not let things play out.  I never just tried to trust my skills at navigating things as they come; I sort of tried to steer things to a premature conclusion based on my own fears.

So I guess my question is where you all think the best balance lies.  Just let this unfold without trying to take control of it?  Or make offers to step back, to lessen the pressure?

Obviously, if he says he wants to change the plan, that's fine.  I won't let the situation return to what it was before, where there is no express commitment to exploring a real relationship.  If he wants to return there, I've told him I'll write him letters but I have to be at a greater distance -- I cannot be his de facto but unacknowledged partner anymore.

But if he doesn't change the plan, my current thought is to just allow it to play out, and not myself try to alleviate pressure by pre-empting and calling it off myself.  Would appreciate any insights.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

BestVersionOfMe

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »

Welcome, glad to see you active here today.  I guess my initial impression to seeing what you wrote is that control might be a really big issue for you.  Regardless of your ex having BPD, coming from a place of control will make any relationship difficult.  Control is an illusion and is usually caused by the ego and not really knowing the true self and worrying about our pasts.  The question becomes what do you want out of the relationship?  State clearly what you want, yet be comfortable with the idea that the chips will fall as they may and you have no control over him, his emotions, his actions, or his reactions.  And you are right about "not solving" anything, the last thing a man wants or needs is for a woman to offer unsolicited advice, Smiling (click to insert in post).  I'm glad you embrace not taking things personally and radical acceptance and perhaps if you pursue the relationship with this mindset it will go differently than before.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 11:02:32 PM »

So I guess my question is where you all think the best balance lies.  Just let this unfold without trying to take control of it?  Or make offers to step back, to lessen the pressure?

I see offers to step back/lesson the pressure as an invitation to him to run away again, if not a nudge to push him away.

I don't see much upside for you if you help him do that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his pattern is A: Pull you in close. B: Truly realize that that means exclusivity/etc. for you. C: Run away for months.

I see this as making step C easier on him. Or perhaps trying to nudge him to do a mini-step-C where he doesn't completely disappear for months.

And I see the pattern as one he will do even if you behave better than you did the first time 'round... .until he finds his way of dealing with it better. And for that, the less you are involved in his decision there, the easier it is for him to find his own feelings instead of getting lost in yours.
patientandclear

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:41:28 AM »

Grey Kitty, thank you. Nothing could have been more useful.
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »

Glad to help.

Let us know what comes of it, whether he shows up or not, and how gracefully he does it.
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »

Hi P&C,

What I eventually found to be helpful when I've been in a similar situation is to focus on my own process.    The underlying belief/assumption under each of these questions is:

It's 100% My Job To Take Care Of Myself

Questions for Self:

I may be disappointed or get my hopes up here only to be disappointed in some manner.  If that happens what do I want to do to take care of myself?  How have I developed my skill in handling disappointment?

Can I accept this person just as they are, and still take good care of myself?  How do I plan to take care of myself when this person is being who they are? In what ways to do I practice accepting people as they are?i]

We may have some time together that feels satisfying or beneficial or very good in some ways, but whether it will last or means something significant about the future, I have no way of knowing because I cannot predict the future.  What do I want to do to take care of myself given that reality?  How do I sooth myself when I have no way of predicting the future?

If things are really good for a while and/or promises or intentions are put forth that then change or are withdrawn, can I take good care of myself anyway?   How do I plan to take good care of myself?  What skills do I use to manage myself when important things change?

There is no way to fully ensure or protect myself from frustration, heartbreak or disappointment if I am going to make myself vulnerable to loving another person.  Am I willing to risk being vulnerable?   Can I take good care of myself no matter what happens?   How will I do that?

What do I think will be required of me to create a better relationship/connection with this person?  The answer has to be something(s) that I know I could do (simple actions) and that would likely help create a better connection and that are within my value system, even if it would feel hard or awkward.  

patientandclear

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »

MaybeSo: what a wonderful post.  Yes. exactly.

I am glad to report that it is at least possible that I have answers to those questions that would allow me to engage in this potential relationship without putting myself at risk of more than ordinary sadness.  Which is a big change from years past.

Thanks again for this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest