Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:44:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I desperately want to believe him and start putting our family back together  (Read 425 times)
MadTrain

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 30, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »

Hi, glad I found u guys. Anyone been in my shoes? Been married 8 years and have 4 littles. We've had problems w alcohol abuse, drug  abuse, lies, manipulation and just recently it got physical. I left w my 4 kids a month ago. Talking to a couple of friends and sharing about my convos w my husband a friend suggested I look up BPD... .My husband fits the bill to a T. Things are starting to make sense now: BPD, codependency, depression, addictions and our volatile relationship. After a month of anger and rage and hurtful conversations my husband has gotten to the 'I'll do anything u need and I know I need help, I'm gonna get it' portion of our routine. I desperately want to believe him and start putting our family back together but I honestly don't know if I can. 4 kids under 7yo + a BPD spouse + my own dysfunctional issues=     I seriously have no idea what to think, where to go, how to think this through... .Anything. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.  -MadTrain
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

jrharvey

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »

Im so sorry about your situation. It must be very difficult. I know you want to believe so badly. I can say that my relationship has turned violent several times before. I never retaliated and never did anything to deserve violence other than her own messed up fantasies and made up stories about what i am doing behind her back (all not true). I have heard her say several times she needs help and will do anything to change but although I know she desperately wants to change and shows it the actual actions do not change. Her reactions come at some deep unconscious level that takes some serious fixing. I really hope it works out for you. I know how hard it is to give up on someone you love.
MadTrain

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »

Thanks jrharvey. I just got on these boards and haven't read through everything (a bit overwhelming), but from what you know of BPD... .Do they ever really change? I told myself I wouldn't return to him until I see action, not just words.  But thank you for your response.
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »

Hi MadTrain,

Welcome

I'm sorry to hear that. That must of been a scary experience when your H got physical. Are you safe now?

To answer your question if they ever change, that depends. BPD is a spectrum disorder with different severity, its ingrained in the person's personality, a personality is difficult thing to change. Is he self aware? Does he feel like something is off with him? Does he have a desire to get help?

My exuBPDw is undiagnosed, is not very self aware and believes that her circumstances is influenced by others and not from her dysfunctional behaviors. BPD is a persecution complex and I would say that her top BPD behavior is projection. That said, she's not a benchmark for BPD but if she does change I think that it will come from one of our kids, our family is still young.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »

Hi, glad I found u guys. Anyone been in my shoes? Been married 8 years and have 4 littles. We've had problems w alcohol abuse, drug  abuse, lies, manipulation and just recently it got physical.

Hello MadTrain,

How recent was this, and are you safe right now while you process things? Does anyone in your real life know, a safe ear you can trust?

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »

You are here, your husband is not, in fact he is on his own journey.  There is a lot to learn about the disorder which is great but you did mention you have your own dysfunctional behaviors to work on.  What are you currently doing to address that?  I'm glad you are safe now, welcome!
MadTrain

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »

Thank you all for your replies! My children and I are safe. We left him and our home a few hours after the incident (under the protection of the police). Charges weren't pressed and he wasn't arrested... .All I wanted to do was get out and away.

Turkish: my family is aware of everything that has happened. I haven't told them about the PD. I'm still wrapping my head around it and I'm afraid if I can't explain it correctly I won't get retional / helpful responses. We don't need any more wood in that fire. 

Mutt: thanks for the explanation. He's def NOT self aware and is constantly saying he knows he needs help (for his unhappiness is all). He does blame all our circumstances for his behavior and is a victim in everything, never taking responsibility. All I know is I can't go back to what we had and I can't give in to his promises... .So I feel like it's gonna be a long hard road. He's not gonna like it.

bestversionofme: I totally fell into codependency. I'm actually going to al-Anon (bc those r a huge part of our issues) and looking for some additional counseling. Stop walking on eggshells is my next purchase  Smiling (click to insert in post) but I'm very blessed, I have an amazing family and support group that helps me process and keeps me accountable. They aren't professionals but they've helped to get me to this point. Now I just need to find more specific counseling.

Thanks for the welcome and the help guys   
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest