Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 09:37:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Validation vs correction/reflection  (Read 444 times)
Horus

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 03, 2016, 03:55:50 AM »

I'm still having trouble with the validation thing. Look I want to help my wife and I just don't see how validating the irrational will help... .I can see how it will keep things cordial but that is not my goal. I'm no professional but it seems to me confirming irrational behavior will only get you the same results. Another thing is when I did validate I found my self taking on BPD behavior for the sake of keeping things cool. We know the definition of insane and when I look at the validation method its seems like I'm keeping one "crazy" and making another (myself) . how is this helping her? I see how its helping me IF I can keep my own sanity in the meantime. I feel like I'm tricking her and my self because when I step back and look I'm only enabling and contributing to the problem. I know people will say she entitled to feels how she feels which is true but if how she feels doesn't coincide with the truth am I not obligated to say " yes Love I see how you could feel that way (validation) but your reaction was a little extreme ( give her something to reflect on) cause my situation is that she use's the wrong emotion at the wrong time. Rage instead of anger, offended instead of irritated, mad instead of upset, abandoned instead of lonely... .Cause at least one of the main issues I deal with also is her not being able to manage her emotions. So what's wrong with at least suggesting that they may be being extreme or choosing the wrong emotion , how else can they learn? I know this will be a struggle to take this approach and has been but I feel the need to at least try. One of the main things I don't agree with in the medical field is that they always go for the bandaid instead of the cure. I know that there a lot of controversy on how you should treat BPD and BPD in general but I'm not interested in validating for the sake of just keeping things cool. I want my wife better.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 05:27:27 AM »

I'm not interested in validating for the sake of just keeping things cool. I want my wife better.

Rewarding or encouraging difficult behaviors - that doesn't make sense, as you say.

The general idea is that no one likes to live in an invalidating environment. People with BPD traits, even more so. The idea of validation to inventory and rethink how we are interfacing, and identifying how we are invalidating, and stop.

Read threads here and look for one where a member was invalidated and how that member reacted. My response to you here might feel invalidating (my apologies if it is).

If you are effective at validation - if you learn not to be invalidating - you will have better relationships with people. This is a powerful tool. Mastering it will elevate your emotional intelligence and your "people skills".

Excerpt

This is what validation is: https://bpdfamily.org/2013/06/validation-encouraging-peace-in-BPD.html  It might help to watch this to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

This is a good written summary: https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-validation

It might be best to share an actual situation that you are dealing with and walk in down here.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 05:31:39 AM »

Hi Horus,

it makes no sense as long as you think of your wife as an integrated rationale being. That model is insufficient.

What may help is seeing a rationale and an instinctive/emotional mind. When invalidated or not sufficiently validated the instinctive mind takes over - totally shutting off reason.

We validate to give the rationale mind of our partners a fighting chance. Validation helps regulating the emotions and that keeps the instinctive brain stem taking over - no crisis so no need for emergency behavioral program in the head of the pwBPD.

Excerpt
yes Love I see how you could feel that way (validation) but your reaction was a little extreme ( give her something to reflect on) cause my situation is that she use's the wrong emotion at the wrong time. Rage instead of anger, offended instead of irritated, mad instead of upset, abandoned instead of lonely... .Cause at least one of the main issues I deal with also is her not being able to manage her emotions.
I'm assuming here for the sake of the argument (and only you know whether I'm right) that the way you wrote you also are tempted to execute it. It may surprise you hearing: You don't see you just say you see and launch into immediate invalidation ("but" is a real good marker for potential invalidation and is closely related to JADE). Validation is a lot about seeing and accepting the other as is - in that moment. Seeing and accepting until she feels seen and accepted. Feels not just hears the words.

Yes, there is a need for accurate and at times painful or negative feedback. Patterns like SET and DEARMAN are exactly designed for that. But before they have a chance to reach the pwBPD that person needs to be in a state of mind that is calm enough to listen effectively. In most relationships of new members that is often rarely the case. Getting to that place takes a while - to acquire validation skills and for them to make a dent.

Excerpt
So what's wrong with at least suggesting that they may be being extreme or choosing the wrong emotion , how else can they learn?
This is a good idea however execution matters hugely here - naively executed it is controlling and will make matters worse. In fact what you want to do here is really validation - provide accurate feedback on what is going on. That is exactly what SET is all about.
s - Support: In an ongoing discussion this may be a simple as taking a non-aggressive / supportive body posture
E - Empathize: Lots and lot of validation until person is somewhat calm and receptive. Don't progress before that point is reached.
T - Truth: Objective and non judgemental. Don't push. Facts are offered - the pwBPD job to take them up when ready or leave them. Keep in mind admitting mistakes is very hard for a pwBPD so don't force it. Often facts take time to digest so impact may be seen a little later.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Horus

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »

Very much appreciated
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest