Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:15:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A breakthrough?  (Read 421 times)
EmotionalWrek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 04, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »

So today my other half told me he's considering medication to help with his BPD.

He's been told by three therapists that this is the best course of action. He's scared to death as his mother was a BPD and was medicated and it ultimately led to her auicide last year and he's worried he will go the same way.

He's going to talk to his therapist tomorrow about it.

What are people's experiences with their partner going onto meds?

Thanks x
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »

So today my other half told me he's considering medication to help with his BPD.

He's been told by three therapists that this is the best course of action. He's scared to death as his mother was a BPD and was medicated and it ultimately led to her auicide last year and he's worried he will go the same way.

He's going to talk to his therapist tomorrow about it.

What are people's experiences with their partner going onto meds?

Thanks x

I don't have any personal experience but it sounds like he is uncomfortable enough with his situation to take action.  That can be a good thing.  People usually don't change their behaviors or work on themselves unless they are uncomfortable enough.  Let us know how it goes.  I wouldn't bring it up by the way, I'd let him do it on his own. 
EmotionalWrek

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:10:17 PM »

Unfortunately it didn't go well. He decided that he didn't want meds and has ended the relationship. It's killed me knowing he was the option to help himself but his own experience has been so negative growing up with his mum etc. I really am unsure what I can do. As he just tells me I make him ill when in a relationship.
BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »

Unfortunately it didn't go well. He decided that he didn't want meds and has ended the relationship. It's killed me knowing he was the option to help himself but his own experience has been so negative growing up with his mum etc. I really am unsure what I can do. As he just tells me I make him ill when in a relationship.

I'm sorry to hear that, very sorry.  He isn't thinking clearly and is seeking familiarity over joy.  Seeing the world differently is painfully frightening or him. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest