Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 09:42:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I give in to her control ultimatum?  (Read 507 times)
ArleighBurke

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »

Further from my last post:
https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=295972.0;topicseen
I found a Dad parenting course (and good husband course) 1 night/wk for 10 weeks in my town. It seemed fantastic - covering being engaged with the kids, good health/fitness, treating your wife well. I showed it to my uBPDw for her comment - saying it looked great, I was interested and what did she think? Basically she hated it - tried to convince me not to go, got more and more upset when I wanted to.

3 days later, she's "researched" the organisation on the internet, and says it promotes religion, oppression of women and is anti-gay. She said it "goes against EVERY one of her core values" and she is outraged by what she read about them. And she would be "beyond greatly concerned" if I attended the course.

I researched the organisation this afternoon and found very little bad about them. They do have an anti-gay marriage stance - saying children deserve both a mother and a father - but I have seen nothing else bad.

So now I'm in the usual cr@ppy position I normally get in. If I go to the course, I violate her supposed beliefs and do something that she says is horrendous - further "proving" that I don't care about her. If I don't go, then she wins at manipulating me.

I am in a hetro marriage with my wife so does it matter what they believe? Does she believe that I'll take on their views straight away? Surely she thinks more highly of me - to be able to stick to my own beliefs? She did this a few years back - when I started improving myself via an online life-coaching course. She read some of the posts and said she felt outraged at the beliefs that some people had and told me I was to stop being on that site.

Normally in these situations, I'd just back down because it's not worth the hassle, but I'm not sure that's the right tactic.

Suggestions?

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

motherhen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:51:36 AM »

Hmmm, maybe something along the lines of "Thanks for the heads up, I will be sure to keep an ear open for any hateful rhetoric."

That way she feels heard and validated but you don't end up sacrificing something you want to do. I think it's awesome you want to do that BTW. I have a friend who signed up for a parenting class only to find out she was the only one present that wasn't court ordered. She loved it though. LOL
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:02 AM »

She most likely believes it will be an outside influence on molding your behavior... ie competition.

The reasoning is just a side show, dont get into debating the reasons.

If YOU feel it is worthwhile then reassure and validate and go for your own reasons.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
ArleighBurke

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:03:13 AM »

And have her think i am deliberately going against her wishes and values? Is that good/ok? I know i'll never hear the end of it... .

ArleighBurke

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:21:42 AM »

So we talked about it more:
Her: I've been on their website. They are a religious organisation that don't accept gays, think a woman should work less and spend more time with the kids, they don't approve having kids outside marriage and think the man is the head of the household.
Me: So... .traditional Christian views?
Her: yes!

This is the first time I've heard someone bag Christian views! Apparently they are SUCH a bad influence on us all... .

Call me weak, but after discussing it for about 20mins I folded and said I wouldn't go on the course. (And even after that she still talked for another solid 10mins about why I shouldn't go). I know if I went I'd hear about me "not supporting her" forever, or any opinion I had that differed to hers she'd blame on "that course". I'd like to think that listening to her, and not persueing the course will somehow count in my favour, but somehow I doubt that.

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »

Do you align with the core beliefs of this group, or is there genuine doubts within yourself?

It's not about you not supporting her, it is an example of her not supporting you.

ArleighBurke

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:54:33 AM »

I align with the general christian view. I understand she has "concerns". In her eyes she has been "losing control" over me since I found out about BPD (3yrs). This course would stress her. The benefit I would get out of this course would be small (because I think I'm already a good dad), so I perceive the negative effects outweigh the positive - rightly or wrongly. I guess in this instance I'm "choosing my battles".

BestVersionOfMe

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »

I have had some of the same negative reactions to having a life coach or therapist or reading self improvement books from my uBPDw.  I think it is the same thing as "shining the light on to darkness."  I'm not saying your wife is dark, I just mean the more you improve yourself, the more uncomfortable she feels being around you.  The opposite is also true, the more you blow up or argue, the more justified she feels with many of her behaviors.  Nearly all of my self development life is separate from my wife's knowledge and it is my business.  If she asks about things like having a life coach, I always tell her that my life coach is about improving me to be the best version of myself and nothing else.   Sometimes I'll even be sarcastic and say things like, "Are you really against me believing in being positive?  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)"  I challenge her by asking open-ended questions so that she is forced to come to her own conclusion.  It sounds like you are very much interested in being a better dad, husband, person, etc.  There are many other ways to do this without attending face to face courses, don't you agree?
ArleighBurke

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »

There are many other ways to [be a better dad/husband] without attending face to face courses, don't you agree?

There's this website I know about with lots of people who are trying to improve their relationships with their spouses... .  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Yes. I already do a LOT without her knowledge. I guess that's why I'm OK to "lose this battle". I'm not losing a whole lot, but maybe, just maybe, I'm gaining some of her trust.

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »

I have done support groups before, I haven't found them a huge benefit in themselves. However they were useful for setting a precedent of having "outside influences and interests" and breaking my wife's sense of entitlement to a monopoly as to how I live my life.

If you are not all that driven to attend them it is not a battle worth fighting, as it can be a big one and you need to want it, otherwise you will cave down the track anyway.

ArleighBurke

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 10:41:47 PM »

Agreed. The last 3 years I've been trying to put more of "what i want" out there. Like going out with friends. I try to go out once every 2 weeks and it feels like a major battle each time. Slow progress I guess.

It's amazing how much effort she's gone to to "prove" this is bad for the relationship. And I'm sure in a few months she'll complain that I'm not trying to improve myself... .

Life with a BPD!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »

Agreed. The last 3 years I've been trying to put more of "what i want" out there. Like going out with friends. I try to go out once every 2 weeks and it feels like a major battle each time. Slow progress I guess.

At least you are doing this, I use up all my "me time" brownie points doing things I like rather than on any relationship stuff. That I can do here.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest