Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 05:28:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you help your BPD partner realize that they have BPD?  (Read 425 times)
joshbjoshb

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 13, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »

Hi,

So my PBD spouse is having one of those periods  and I am going crazy. Well, almost.

Is there any article that I can send her that perhaps will be a wake up call?

Anything you did - or you realized - happened that caused your spouse to say "well, maybe I need help"?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Hlinthewiking

Relationship status: In a relationship living apart

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:00:03 PM »

This is the best I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraGmA7-9FA

Though I'm in the same situation as you are and everytime I try to bring up the fact that she may have a problem, things don't go well, no matter how I do it, I gave up direct approach.

I tried showing her a BPD video in our language once, since she doesn't know English, otherwise, I would have shown her the one I linked to you, she had an episode right after and stated she doesn't have BPD and that she only does what she does because I don't do things right.

If you are wondering how I did it, I did a personality traits quiz myself a while ago and mentioned her, she became interested to me surprise, so I took advantage of it and we did it on her, I was amazed on how aware she was of her actions and feelings, things that I though she would deny, she agreed. After that I decided to mention BPD, without bringing BPD or anything related to personality disorders and mentioned that someone she likes supposedly had it (Marilyn Monroe), to soften it and give her the idea that she wouldn't be alone and someone who she always likes also had it, then I showed her a video, she stopped me 1 minute into the video and had an episode. It didn't work.

I'm very interested in this as well if you ever find out a way. I'm guessing in my case, she will take years of disappointment and suffering before she seeks help if at all.
Icanteven

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »

"How did you help your BPD partner realize that they have BPD?"

You don't.

My wife's in treatment for a number of officially (very recently) diagnosed mental illnesses.  One day, with nothing left to lose, I said, hey, maybe the reason you weren't getting any better is that you've been underdiagnosed and you're BPD.  This was clearly the wrong thing to say.

"Where'd you get that? A bunch of people trying to diagnose me who've never met me?" 

"Well, you do meet all the criteria in the DSM.  In fact, you're an 'and' when the DSM is only looking for an 'or' condition."

"F*ck you I'm not a borderline."

Never mind that her official diagnoses overlap HEAVILY with the DSM 5 criteria, or that her psychiatrists and therapists have quoted the criteria to me almost verbatim.

She's lot of terrible, devastating illnesses that by themselves alone would be incredibly challenging and together form a sort of DSM Voltron of mental illness.  But she's not BPD.  Nope. 
VitaminC

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »

Led to this one. Quite different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2RRaC-99r0
Hlinthewiking

Relationship status: In a relationship living apart

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 02:45:48 PM »

Oh man, that one made me break down, so grim :/, I just want to hug my gf real hard.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest