Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:16:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking out of bad spirals  (Read 347 times)
globalnomad

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 14, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »

I have not posted on this site for a while. Things were going pretty well -- thanks partly to some helpful suggestions I got on here -- but the last couple of weeks have been awful.

I am feeling exhausted, utterly ground down and have lost the capacity to validate. My wife continues to be frequently triggered by the stresses of raising a baby. I feel like I am stuck in a hellish version of groundhog day where similar scenarios play themselves out over and over again and I am powerless to change anything: Something happens with the baby that stresses her out. She gets angry at me because I am not doing anything to help -- or whatever I am doing is in her eyes not helpful. I get annoyed that she is taking her stresses out on me despite the fact I am trying to help. She starts raging and calling me useless, incompetent, a bad father and so on. Recently she takes things a step further by frequently taunting me and calling me pathetic and cowardly for not leaving her.

The reality is that if it weren't for my son I would have already done so. I am still committed to staying for now, but I am really at a loss as to how to come back from the brink here. I am also questioning what it means to stay in such an abusive environment -- and whether there is a realistic chance of turning things around. I'm not really sure what my question is here. But I guess I would be interested in hearing any thoughts on how to break out of what feels like a vicious death spiral?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »

Hi globalnomad,

The stresses of having a baby are one thing, and mama being BPD is a whole other. You're doing your best under the circumstances and even then it feels like it's not enough.

Are you getting any sleep? Even in "normal" homes where there isn't BPD, a newborn baby can put everyone into a sleep deprivation zone that makes it hard to believe any of us survive the early infant years.

Are you able to carve out any time where it's just you, globalnomad, doing something to recharge your batteries?

The advice we hear as new parents can sound like blah blah blah when you're tapped out. I remember people telling me to sleep when the baby sleeps, which is all but impossible when the dad is BPD and needs attention around the clock.

You feel you've lost the capacity to validate, and that is legit. Validation is a combination of empathy and the art of listening. Not to mention authentic validation often involves tone of voice, body language, facial expression. Hard to do when you're dealing with the demands of a baby.

You know when she's raging at you, calling you useless, incompetent, etc. that those are her fears about herself, right?

How does opposite action work with her? This is from DBT, where you do things contrary to what you feel in the moment. It might mean looking at your wife with compassion when she her face is scrunched up in anger, when you feel fed up right back at her.

Understandably, doing something new (and difficult!) like feeling compassion when your'e overextended is pretty tough. I find I can only feel compassion if I take care of myself in a way that is highly disciplined and what (in a former life) I would consider very selfish.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest