Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 05:55:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separation anxiety as a non when things are going well  (Read 376 times)
prettyflowers

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 15, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »

Have any of you experienced severe separation anxiety from your BPD partner when things are going smoothly after a major upset?

After my partner cycled out of "breaking up" and returned to me this past weekend, we went on a spontaneous trip and had a nonstop wonderful time.

After five days straight with very little time apart, she wants a few days of time alone and with her family, which is completely healthy behavior.

I've been having sporadic panic attacks since we returned to our separate homes yesterday even though we've been in touch via text every few hours. I feel crazy and scared. Her pattern is to decide on her own during "normal" time apart that this isn't working, distance herself, then spring the breakup on me, so I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »

Yes.  I have experienced that a lot in the past, but what I've learned is that high conflict high drama/intensity relationships almost always have difficulties with comings and goings and push-pull dynamics that mirror the engulfment/abandonment fears of both partners and the corresponding actions (push-pull) creates a petri dish that encourages those fears to become even more inflamed ... .even in the "non" ... .unless the "non" works hard to learn skills in managing their own anxiety and understanding themselves and their own responses.  As you say it's healthy to have time away from a partner.  It's healthy to have good quality time together.  There is suppose to be an ebb and flow in togetherness and separation in any intimate relationship. Intimacy itself relies on this dance between togetherness/separatness, we can't really have intimacy w/out tolerating both states.  We all have to learn to let go and allow a partner to do what they are going to do, while digging deep to manage our own anxiety and fears if they are away or if we sense our own fear of losing them. We can't control anyone else, just ourselves. As adults, if we do break-up or suffer the loss of an attachment object, while it's very painful, it is not life threatening.  Anxiety and panic is our primal response to life threat, and we often move into that kind of panic, even when our life really is not being threatened.  :)istance or threat of losing a love object feels like it's life threatening. But it's really not.  The reason that is important to keep this in mind, is b/c you want to clam yourself and be in a grounded state, not a panic state which turns off your frontal lobes (smart brain) and causes you to act in primitive ways, as though your life were at stake. This is the personal work that needs to be done, how to sooth yourself (quiet mind/calm heart) and manage this anxiety inside.  It's your anxiety, it's yours to work with.  Paradoxically if you can sooth yourself and let go and allow the distance, the retreating object doesn't need to run so fast in the other direction, doesn't need to force more distance in response to an anxious partner's attempts to cling.  Any chasing or controlling behaviors, while understandable, helps keep the pattern of push-pull very much alive and it can teeter back and forth like this over and over again.  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest