Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For a moment, I genuinely forgot that my boyfriend is a dxBPD  (Read 372 times)
misuniadziubek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »

In some ways, I have become habituated to letting go of things as soon as they happen. It's like I'm wearing a raincoat that's been coated with rainX. I get hit with mud and rain and it all slides off or is blown away by the wind.

If you asked me what is the quality of my relationship; the overall health, I'd tell you that I've found myself a partner for life. That I feel safe and comforted by my relationship and that it improves my well-being.

And I wouldn't be lying. Because at this point, it's all that I pretty much see or remember.

A friend sent me an email she got from a fairly recent love interest, who is the son of a dxBPDmom. It had all the jarring red flags. Expressions of devotion. Idealization. Promises of never being apart. Being too deep in the relationship to abandon the friend. And horrible angry abusive words about the friend even doubting their future for a moment and expressing those concerns and   an invalidating request to never speak those feelings again.

And it was like reading an old text or email from my BPDbf. And I messaged him at that moment.

Excerpt
"You used to be mean. Things weren't always this great."

His response?

Excerpt
"You've changed a lot of how you act and you make it easier not to be mean. And it's also realizing that a lot of my anger is not even related to you and so there is no point of taking it out on you."

I have changed. I say no a lot more than I used to. Some of my boundaries are far more rigid. Others more flexible. I don't dread driving to see my boyfriend anymore. And most importantly, we've both created a safe loving baseline for each other to return to. No matter how intense a fight is, we return to that baseline. It's anchored by pet names and a certain dialogue that reminds both of us that we are on the same team. It's like reassurance that at the end of the day, we have each other and neither of us is leaving. It brings him back from his numbness. It calms down my own distress.

More than anything, we focus on the happy moments. I regularly remind him of the wonderful and loving things he does for me and when he asks me if I still care about him I remind him of the ones I do for him. And there are hundreds of these moments every week. That's the place where our relationship thrives.

But the same triggers are still at play. When either of us is tired or depressed, in my case, the stability breaks down. It's still a constant work in progress and sometimes I have a hard time getting out my head and that deer in headlights emotional flashback. Mix in him getting dysregulated at that moment and it again escalates to epic proportions.

Take last night. I accidentally turned a flashlight on while he was driving. And he got angry. And instead of admitting to the wrong and validating his anger, I started JADE-ing. I was annoyed. I wanted him to move on without me putting in the effort. And we got 10 minutes of him berating me followed by pretty much expressing exactly what he needed from me in terms of validation, but me not being willing to give it. It's a special circumstance. And I was annoyed and so I let that dictate the dialogue, making things worse.  Next time, I will do better. I was responsible for 50% of the situation and I did badly with my 50%.

Also, his roommate is causing him stress. They act like they are sane and well-adjusted, but when push comes to shove they revert to a lot of really passive aggressive actions and frankly make him feel unwelcome in the shared kitchen and living room. They once texted me complaining that he forgot to take out the garbage that week. Leaving in the morning to go to his car, I let the front door go too quickly and the momentum meant that it slammed behind me. This caused him incredible stress because he already feels like he has to walk on eggshells.

He was angry with me. Asking me repeatedly why I was so careless. That now he was going to have her slam doors every time that she leaves the house in retaliation. This dysregulation was too much for my very fragile, sleep-deprived state and I got upset. Started tearing up. Felt like my chest was tightening up. This got him more upset because I was 'miserable' now and what a cra-ppy morning. Eventually, I resorted to some DBT skills I've picked up and held a frozen can in my hand until it started hurting enough to get me out of my own emotional frenzy. Then I could be back to normal.

And yeah, it sucked. But what sucks more is that he's in the situation where he gets that much grief from his roommate that he then takes it out on me.

So yeah. Two really incredibly difficult situations in one day. And leaving without resolving them is far more damaging to me than if I stay and weather the storm, somehow. Still got that codependency rearing its ugly head.

Sometimes I sit there and think: This is the life I'm choosing? I'm still not ready. Things could be so much easier with a non-BPD. But would they be as enjoyable and passionate? Would they be as motivating and supportive. Would they understand where I'm coming from when I just have a shi-tty day?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »

Hi Mis,

Just wanted to commend you on the amazing work you are doing for you. Getting to a point where you are not reactive and triggered, letting go of things is a great step- and you have seen the results of this in your relationships- I hope with everyone and with yourself.

I have found this to be a work in progress- not always linear- there can be ups and downs but in general the progress is real progress and personal growth over time.

Your BF is still BPD, but you have changed and the dynamics between you seem to have changed. So you don't feel ready to choose this for life? Would things be easier with a non-BPD?

Stay tuned in to yourself. If you aren't ready to choose, then you are not ready. You don't know the future- but you need to be true to yourself now. Don't make an insincere choice. If deciding this one day at a time, or one week, or one month, is what reflects you, then this is the best you can do.

We tend to emotionally match- attract and be attracted to- people who match us emotionally in some ways. So it makes sense that you'd question whether or not you would feel the same way about someone who didn't have PBD. The answer to all of this is within you. You are a unique human- attracted and attractive to other unique humans- and they don't just come in two categories- BPD or non.

But you have discovered a very key point to all your relationships- the constant is YOU. By working on yourself, becoming more mature, your interactions with others have changed. You've seen the benefit of this in your relationship with your BF- but this is also a benefit you will keep as it is for you.  So keep up the good work!
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »

Most relationships have fights without even knowing why, or the mechanics behind them. As a result of the work you have done you are aware of when it goes off course, and can often figure out why. This can make you feel angry as you believe you should know better. You need to let that go and dont berate yourself, or think you are back to square one, as you are far from it.

At times now I know I am responsible for conflict, it worries me not, in fact it is freeing that I can let my emotions off the leash at times. The reason is I am aware of it and now can limit the fall out, and repair any damage... .I can be human again.

As long as you can keep toxicity out of a relationship and reign in escalations then things are pretty good.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
joshbjoshb

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »

Wow. I am really J right now Smiling (click to insert in post) how did you arrive at this point? Was he working on himself as well? Please share.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest