Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:25:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD bf sleeps on his ex wifes couch to spend more time with troubled kids  (Read 342 times)
pizzamargarita
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 22, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »

First, thank you for this website.  My live-in BPD bf has been divorced for 3.5 years.  Although he does not have an official diagnosis, I truly believe he is BPD with a co-occurring disorder.  Five months ago, he went through alcohol detox, but not rehab.  Since detox, his symptoms have been much worse, making it very difficult to even talk to him.  His son has been on home detention, so he sleeps on his ex wifes couch many nights.  When I first vocalized my feelings, he tried to keep those times in-frequent.  However, now he has flipped a switch again, and is staying there more, driving his daughter to her summer activities during the day, before he leaves for work in the afternoon.  I am always excluded from any plans that he makes with his daughter.  He seems to be obsessed with her, and her life.  He claims he feels so much guilt for not being there for his son especially, during their very bitter divorce.  I have been extremely patient and understanding, but lately, I have been flying off the rails about this.  He puts very little effort into our relationship (apparently he hates me now, I am the bad one).  It's a vicious cycle in which we argue, with little resolution.  There have been effective discussions with some positive outcomes, but then he will revert to being selfish, disrespectful, and discourteous, in a vengeful way.  I barely see him now, and it's been like this for roughly six weeks.  He also tells me he does not want to get close to me, and he doesn't think about the future.  I have point blank asked him if he is planning on moving out,or if he has already. He always says No.  I have explained how dysfunctional his behavior is, and that I do not like him staying there.  There are no boundries for him, or his son.  They are very similar in personality, and both have grave relational issues.   It's clear that he is trying to dangle a carrot in front of me, and is unwilling to compromise.  I am at my wits end.  I was planning on asking him to move out this weekend, because I just can't deal with anymore of the Dr. Jekyl/Mr.Hyde life.  The other half of me which is probably co-dependent, just doesn't want to let go because I have been in love with him for a long time.  We do have a lot in common, and when he actually shows some emotion, I tend to forgive.  Is he afraid of being abandoned by his children?  He had a very abusive childhood;  his mother and father were both alcoholics, and his mother may have had another personality disorder.  He was on his own by the time he was 12.  Abandoned by his mother, emotionally.  He told me years ago, that after his parents divorce, his father would sleep on their couch at times, and he never knew where his father was living until he was around 17/.  I told him that he is repeating the same dysfunctional behavior that his father used to do.  He claimed it was because his mother was sometimes physically abusive, and she would pass out hunched over the kitchen table.   I admire him wanting to be a better parent, but of course, it's his extreme way of doing so increasing my anxiety to the brink.  How else can I communicate with without him thinking I am the enemy and punishing me?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Dutched

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »

Welcome on the board, good that you found us.
Being here, start reading the lessons.

Feel sorry for you going through this!
In my response I don’t want to be harsh, merely to show matters in more perspective.

As far as I see, he nor his ex wife are detached from each other, despite that nasty bitter divorce.
Which ex, that went such a divorce, accepts that the other ex sleeps in ones house (couch or no couch), who?
That is not healthy.

As for his kids. Well, being a father myself, I understand his worries. Feeling the responsibility and just plain out of love to be there for them.
Please understand the reasons he told you of his background. Divorce is painful, very painful for kids going through a divorce and it will have a long very deep emotional impact.
So he himself went through it, now his kids …

There is a lot of push and pull going on, he wants to be with you, he is rejecting you, doesn’t see a future with you.
You are the one that is indeed giving in, hoping for better and he consequently feels save with you again.

Is that a basis for a solid and trustful future in which both partners can rely and support each other to built a mutual future?
I am not saying to break up! That is not the intention of this board.

What I am saying is that it seems:
You and your place are a safe haven, some one to rely on, some one to trust and to express his inner turmoil.
He and his ex are not detached at all. Bitterly divorced… but still having enough attachment to have him around in her house, sleeping in her house, being part of the ‘former’ family…

Just my two cents.
I think the same dynamics that you experience now, led to his divorce.
But that couple didn’t break up… for the law only…

For years someone I loved once gave me boxes full of darkness.
It made me sad, it made me cry.
It took me long to understand that these were the most wonderful gifts.
It was all she had to give
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest