Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 02:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It gets really good and then really bad - verbal and physical abuse  (Read 468 times)
ck1nix

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 29, 2016, 08:56:14 AM »

I am in a romantic relationship with someone who exhibits all the signs of BPD. It has been a roller coaster, I feel like I am always walking on eggshells, I am either the greatest person who walked the earth or the lowest ever. There is verbal and physical abuse, they lock themselves in our bedroom, will not talk to me except through email which are accusatory and mean. There seems to be a pattern to this behavior, it gets really good and then really bad. I am trying to deal with this and have noticed that I am enabling and I am trying to set boundaries, keep things on a routine etc. Really at the point where I need support.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

heartandwhole
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »

Hi ck1nix

Welcome

I'm sorry to hear that you feel on a roller coaster in your relationship, that is so difficult. You are definitely not alone in your feelings; I felt that way, too. You have come to the right place for support, as the members here have been in similar situations and understand. We also have tons of tools to help things get better—and things really can get better, ck1nix, there is hope.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

First of all, I want to ask you about your safety, since you mentioned physical and verbal abuse. Do you have a plan, ck1nix? It is so important to have support lined up before things escalate, so that you will know exactly the steps you want to take and won't be scrambling in the heat of the moment, when you can't think straight.

Here is more info. about a safety plan: Safety First
It also helps to have local hotline numbers handy. Have you checked them out? It's a great place to call just to get information should you need it (and hopefully you won't).

We have excellent resources on boundaries, too, to help things improve in your relationship.

How long have you been with your partner, ck1nix?

Keep writing, it helps to get things down. We are here to support you.

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Meili

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »

ck1nix

I know that the roller coast ride that comes with idealization and devaluation is incredibly painful and confusing. Never knowing what will happen next or what will trigger the push/pull dynamic is maddening.

The good news is that you have recognized what is going on and that you've already started to make changes for yourself to mitigate intense emotions that come with all of this.

I echo H&W in wanting to make sure that you are physically safe. First and foremost, that must be the main concern.
ck1nix

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 01:54:30 PM »

Thank you so very much for your support and insight, I do have a safety plan in place where I text a word to friends, they know that it means I need help and will call 911. I did suffer from a black eye and broken nose about 4 months ago. I did not press charges, if if ever happens again I will leave and will press charges. I have also seen a therapist who told me to either leave or educate myself to learn how to live with it.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »

Hi ck1nix,

Maybe we can help think together about how to de-escalate situations. Do you feel comfortable sharing how conversations go? A scenario where things went from zero to 60 and seemed to come out of nowhere?

Sometimes the way we phrase things can help with emotional arousal.

LnL

Breathe.
adaw

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »

After a lot of abuse she looked at me. Don't ever leave me, please.I know I won't then she got increased periods of paranoia and now a new pha
se hallucinations: she is unable to tell reality from her imagination. I know I  need to step in I just don't know how 
ck1nix

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »

The physical abuse happened because I pulled the blankets over me and was accused of trying to uncover my partner, she totally flipped out on me, asked me to leave the bedroom, I started to leave and was actually down on my knees trying to protect myself, she pulled my hair out in clumps, blackened my eye, broke my nose and tried placing her thumb over my artery in my neck, I thought I was a goner. I let out this horrific scream and then she stopped, no remorse whatsoever, said it was entirely my fault, that I was the abuser and she needed to teach me a lesson.
ck1nix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:40:44 AM »

I will also add that things have gotten better since she has started taking medication, no angry outburst but I still feel like I am always on guard and I really do love this person and I have been educating myself on how to deal with her.
adaw

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »

I am well trained in hand to hand combat. I never fight back I just block punches and disarm her. My advice call in paramedics or police as needed
ck1nix

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »

Thank you for the advice, I will also add that she is trained to injure, works in a correctional facility. I will leave if it ever happens again.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 01:04:05 AM »

I have been educating myself on how to deal with her.

Hi ck1nix,

What tools been working for you so far? We have great resources here. Have you checked out the lessons to the right on the sidebar?------->

I'd especially recommend communication skills, because they can de-escalate conflict and help pwBPD feel validated. Also, boundaries are very important for you, as you mentioned already.

Keep posting and let us know how we can best support you. That's why we're here.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest