Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:18:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi my first time here.  (Read 436 times)
Sysyphus

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 15, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »

My husband of over 30 yrs has BPD. We have been working on how to deal with his BPD. last night was a real setback and I am so confused. I spent Saturday night with my sister who lives 6 hrs away we meet at families home half way. He was scared to be alone but told me he knew it was important for me to see her. We lost our parents earlier this year and it has been hard. He struggles so badly with abandonment . When I got home yesterday afternoon i thanked him again for his sacrifice and we sat together and watched TV. I asked about dinner he got up and went to lay down. I  asked him what was wrong. He said i  didnt validate him when I got home. He said I  ignored him and he said give me some time to get over this. I said ok. Well he gets up and start screaming at me about  how i hate him i care more about others. It got out of hand. I lost it,.I know bad move. He was trying to take my keys away and I wouldn't let go. He then pushed me against tje wall and put his forearm on my neck and slammed my head against the wall and chair. There were 2 more physical attacks. Today he says I pushed him to do it cause I couldn't control myself. I can't say anything right. I hurt from the physical pushing. He said i need to validate him before this can stop. Any help is appreciated.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 03:36:46 PM »

Hi Sysyphus,

Welcome

Is your username picked after the king of Ephyra? I'm so sorry that you had to go through that  I'm glad that you decided to join us, bpdfamily is a safe place where we can share our thoughts and feelings. You're hurt, do you require medical attention?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 03:53:49 PM »

Hi Sysyphus:  

Physical violence is never okay. I'm so sorry for your experience.  . You need to take steps to stay safe. Has he gotten physical with you before?  

Because he feels invalidated, does not justify violence in any form.  Has he been in therapy before?  Is "validation" something you have discussed in the past?

The below link is to a booklet that has some helpful information on staying safe:

https://bpdfamily.com/pdfs/safety_first.pdf

It can be helpful to think through a plan for you safety, should he become violent again.
BowlOfPetunias

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »

Validation by coercion is way, way out of bounds. Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  Validation is something we do to help the other person cope.  It is not something we should do OR ELSE.

We all know that BPDs have problems with logic.  But this is extreme--How can someone possibly validate someone when forced to do so?  "Yes, now that you threaten me, I do see that you are angry/hurting/sad."  Validation, by definition, must be voluntary.  (One of my college professors said that Ernst Bloch had once made a joke about "enforcing [Kant's] categorical imperative with a gun."  This sounds a lot like that.)

The physical abuse has to stop PERIOD.  He also needs to understand that you will not respond to threats--at least not in the way he wants.  He should understand that possible responses include divorce and/or calling the police.  That is a firm boundary that must not be crossed.

This sounds like someone who has latched on to BPD as a justification for bad behavior.  He needs to see his BPD as a problem that he is responsible for controlling, not a license to be abusive.
Sysyphus

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »

I so appreciate everyone's concern it means so much. It is a strange feeling to know that there are people who get this. Yes that is where my user name came from, it is also my dogs name. I feel it defines the every day struggles. My husband also has chronic lyme and other tick borne infections on top of the BPD. I sometimes feel he uses it as an excuse to act out too. I'm at a loss he keeps saying that I know what to do to fix this... .God help me I don't! I am not hurt just hurting. Both emotionally and physically. I couldn't work today either i never call in so my guilt is over flowing. I did finally make an appointment with a therapist today. Thank you everyone 

Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:09:43 PM »

Sysyphus   

I'm glad to hear you made an appointment with a therapist.   Give your dog a big hug.  Animals can be a comfort, during times of stress. 

Take care.  Let us know how things go.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:42:14 PM »

Hi Sysyphus,

How is it going now?  I wanted to share something based upon what he said to you. 

Quote from: Sysyphus
Today he says I pushed him to do it cause I couldn't control myself. I can't say anything right.

Many members on the boards have heard this or similar things,  even patterns of children with BPD. I heard it early on in another form: "you know what pisses me of,  so just don't do it!" The problem is that it's a constantly shifting valuation target, driven by the unstable emotions of another. 

Some simple questions are hard to answer.  I was thinking yesterday that I'm not sure I know what domestic violence is.  It's come up recently from a few members and I thought it might be helpful to talk about what it is and what it isn't in a general sense... .and what to do.

This was published on one public service site:

MYTH: Domestic violence is a "loss of control."

FACT: Violent behavior is a choice. Perpetrators use it to control their victims. Domestic violence is about batterers using their control, not losing their control.  Their actions are very deliberate.

MYTH: The victim is responsible for the violence because she provokes it.

FACT: No one asks to be abused. And no one deserves to be abused regardless of what they say or do.

Though we talknow a lot here about validation and how to reduce conflict,  violence crosses a line for which the abuser is responsible.  It's possible he may feel guilt or shame,  and being unable to deal with it,  blame shifts it onto you.  Ultimately,  however,  the blame lies with him.  He's asserting control.  You can't control him either,  and I hope you're taking steps to be safe.   

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Sysyphus

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »

Hi everybody. Again thank you for your caring. Right now we are at a quite place. Still recovering from this last episode. He told me that if I wanted him to or my counselor thought it might help he would go. I suppose I'll see how that goes. He is feeling very guilty for what happened and is an easy trigger. I am trying to stay neutral and supportive. I will update and I so appreciate all of you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest