Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 06:05:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Schools For Son  (Read 373 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« on: August 18, 2016, 12:14:56 AM »

I live in a school district that isn't the greatest,  though interacting with the school staff this past year,  they try hard and seem engaged.  It's just the area we live in.  
A little over two years ago,  S6 "graduated" pre-K.  Earlier in the year, she had talked about getting him into a good school,  possibly a language immersion one nearby.  I left the research to her and let her know what she me from me.  From my point-of-view,  she was too busy with her new life with her boy toy which she was a few months from marrying at the time,  to follow through. So the day of our son's graduation, we went to register him at the default primary school near my home. I led on this,  and I had already filled out the forms. Subsequently,  I went to our HMO to get documentation for immunizations,  and also went downtown to get a copy of his birth certificate which we had lost.  She mentioned again about changing Schools.  Kind of late. Her career is such that she often works along side the education community.  I trusted her to be better informed to see things I wouldn't.  Regardless if that's true,  she dropped the ball.  
Though he was far ahead academically at the beginning of kindergarten (he ended up being one of the top 3 kids in the class), we did have a couple of acting out incidents last fall.  We signed permission for him to see the school counselor.  We put him in a Peacebuilders program during winter and spring break.  see here for more on that program.

She had talked about him skipping ahead to first.  When we took then D3 to start preschool,  she talked about skipping her ahead to pre-K, which made no sense since state law forbids starting kindergarten at 4. So our daughter would have had to sit a year twiddling her thumbs?  I was almost tempted to encourage her to ask to expose her,  but that would have been playing games.  Both of the kids are "geniuses" according to her;  she tells them this.  It wasn't helpful that the psych resident called S6 "brilliant" a couple of months ago. He could possibly be two standard deviations above the average IQ, but he's not genius level, which would be three. She talked again about skipping him the last day of kindergarten,  and transferring him.  He starts 1st grade next week at the same school.  We had the orientation tonight.  

She mentioned again about transferring districts.  She said tonight,  and she mentioned this last school year,  that her husband's grandmother said that we could use her address to get him into the adjacent district which is better.

One of my concerns is that it will be in a school with Chinese (and Indian) Tiger Moms. I've lived and worked in high tech for 24 years.  I know the culture.  Not necessarily bad,  but with an emotionally vulnerable child,  I'm worried about him landing in the middle of the pack or lower.  I've floated a transfer by him once in a while and he wants to stay.  He's the kid,  we're the parents,  I know,  but I'm concerned more with his stability vis-a-vis his mental health.  His uncle got into the top tier university system here,  having graduated from the second worst high school in the district.  Scores are a valid data point,  but they are also only that.  I've always been auto-didactic. I'm trying to pass that on.  

The other concern is the stability of their mom's marriage.  Last fall,  it was "I should never have left you,  I went through a server depression last month,  add bad as when I was pregnant with D." I later observed her treating him with disrespect and coldness publicly.  At the beginning of spring, I got a call with her sobbing,  and more of "I should never have left you!" This past weekend,  another late night call (couched with,  can I call you later to talk about the kids?). More crying.  They're hurting financially.  She's the primary bread winner,  and she makes half of what I do. She reminded me of something I told her a month ago,  that karma always comes back.  I don't remember saying exactly that,  but I didn't disbelieve her.

The me-her-him age spread is 10-10-10, decreasing.  I started working in the Silicon Valley for a Fortune 500 tech company the year the kids' SD was born.  She's expecting way too much from him,  especially given he just graduated with an undergrad degree last year, and I started my career at 20, earlier than most.  

A month ago,  she told me she's getting a restraining order on her BIL. Her husband was cuffed, put to the ground and "beaten" according to her.  She called 911 when she felt threatened.  BIL fled,  H was too foolish to follow the cops orders to shut up.  My ex is diminutive.  She called.  The cops are going to default to her.  When recounting this story,  she also told me that she told her H later,  "I don't know what I was thinking when I got together with you!" She has shared none of this with her family,  because she doesn't want to hear the "I told you!" soes. She said that.  

Stable marriage?  I don't think so.  I didn't say that tonight,  but I was tempted,  so I ignored her comment about the grandma's offer, as I did when she first said it months ago.  I'm just going to keep shining her on for now.  School starts next week.  We'll see how it goes.  

This past weekend,  I was at a party for one of S6's classmates.  The mom asked me if we had transferred schools because my ex had mentioned it to her.  I replied, "no,  she says that every year, " and the mom looked at me oddly and let it go.  School starts next week.  We'll see how it goes.  

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Thunderstruck

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »

On one hand, we definitely want the best schools and best education for our children possible. On the other hand... .it's first grade. I  have to wonder how much elementary school will really impact the rest of their lives.

Middle school, meh. I think all middle schools are terrible. It's a weird age for kids, they are hormonal nightmares.

High school... .now yes, this is where I believe better programs will matter. I had a school that offered AP classes that I could take for college credit. Those were excellent. But my high school was small and only offered a few.

We had to make the decision whether to move into an A-rated district where SD11 would know no one, or move into her current school district (B-rated) where she could go to school with the same kids since pre-K. We decided to move into her current school district. SD11 is bright, but she has difficulty focusing her attention on her tasks. I don't think that will change if the school is A-rated or D-rated.

Getting the most out of education mostly has to do with the work you are willing to put in! That sounds like a cliché or something on a poster, but I really believe it's true. In every class no matter the teacher, there will be kids who are curious and want to work hard to learn, and kids who want to just get the day over with.

"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

"The sun shines and warms and lights us and we have no curiosity to know why this is so. But we ask the reason of all evil, of pain, and hunger, and mosquitos and silly people." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »

On one hand, we definitely want the best schools and best education for our children possible. On the other hand... .it's first grade. I  have to wonder how much elementary school will really impact the rest of their lives.

By the time I reached 7th grade,  after which I went to the high school across the street, I had attended 4 different schools,  from kindergarten on.  K-2.0, 2.5, 3-4.0, 4.5-6th. The mid year transitions  (2nd and 4th grades), I took in stride.  I guess I was resilient,  not that I had a choice. 

If S6 doesn't get into Harvard because he attended the wrong primary school,  then so be it.  I feel that his mom is projecting her own issues,  despite the validity of school scores.  I went from private to public to private to public.  I experienced the different academic environments.  I also think I was more resilient than our son.  He's emotional to a degree I never was.  It's hard to see what is right or beneficial,  given his mom's borderline traits,  and also thinking of my borderline childhood.  His mom has already kind of profiled herself as a difficult parent to the school.  She told me at the end of the school year where she perceived teachers mumbling about her behind her back.  Like my BPD mother,  who complained to me for years about "politics" in nursing (and I believed her), I see now how much they contribute to the problem,  oblivious. I think we'll eventually have issues at whatever school he (or his sister) goes to. 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »

Just adding a couple of cents of thought.

There can be a social stigma with skipping grades.  The younger child might not be accepted well among their peers and become a bit of an outcast.  A year or two can make a big social difference at young ages (and even in high school).  What might seem like something for a mom to be proud of, could be the wrong thing for a child in the long run.
Quote from: Turkish
I've always been auto-didactic. I'm trying to pass that on.
That is probably one of the best traits to pass on to someone these days.  As someone who grew up in the educational days of having to go to the library (or physically thumb through a family set of encyclopedias), I'm a bit in awe of the educational opportunities out there now. These opportunities can supplement formal education, to give people many skills. You are a tech savvy guy, so I know you are well aware of what's out there.  I listen to a radio/podcast tech program frequently (Leo Leporte).  I'm always impressed when very young people call into the program, who are studying free online programming classes, putting together their own Mindcraft server and many other techy things.  They are molding their future outside of the traditional school system. (most often with encouragement from parents).  There are many great opportunities that parents can promote, beyond going to what is thought to be the best schools. Even getting a domain for your child and promoting positive information on the Internet is seen as a strategic thing to do (so when a child gets college age, they are more apt. to fair well with a name search by a college or employer).

Being the most intelligent does not equate to being the most successful in life.  There is a lot to be said for emotional intelligence.  I think on average, the most successful people are a combination of IQ and EI/EQ. 

Quote from: Turkish
If S6 doesn't get into Harvard because he attended the wrong primary school,  then so be it
It's not always worth the cost to go to prestigious colleges (considering loan payments and lifetime earnings). I guess it depends on what field you want to go into.  Many people do just fine with lower cost education.

With you in the picture, I'm sure your children will fair quite well.  I think you've got this.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest