Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:03:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I handle this well?  (Read 353 times)
FeelingBitter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: August 21, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »

All,

I'm an advocate for an abuse survivor who is clearly BPD (not officially diagnosed... yet. Her counselor is being cautious because she has just gone through trauma). I wrote a long post earlier this summer about the hell I experienced advocating for this very manipulative, emotionally unbalanced person. Keep in mind i have worked with a lot of survivors - PTSD, trauma, depression and anxiety I can work with. BPD is something else though.

After she came back from abroad I resolved to set better boundaries. Keep in mind, we were 'friends' before I knew she had been assaulted and I was called into her case. I defriended her from FB and kept our communications through email. I am now only communicating with her by email. No more text messaging, etc. I also told her that I won't be attending all of her hearings with her, but will help her with other aspects of her case. She's working with another advocate.

Well yesterday she emailed me and said 'I have the hugest news about my case, call me when you can." I was reticent to call her but we haven't talked since May so I thought it would be ok. We talked on the phone for an hour about her case and it was fine. I gave her an action plan of steps and we hung up.

An hour later I get a call from her. Shouldn't have picked it up, but I did. She told me that she had driven back to school, was in a gas station, and "thought she saw him" and was "so scared" and "hiding in the bathroom.' By *him*, she was referring to the abuser, who was kicked off campus and who she has a protection order against. Keep in  mind she has been doing this for the last few months, telling me and her best friend at different times that she 'thinks she sees him' everytime she feels one of us is pulling away.

I told her to take a deep breath and that it would be fine. I woke up very aggravated however, angered that I had taken a risk on her by agreeing to phone her for an hour, and then she had decided to manipulate me into 'worrying about her' (which yeah, I wasn't).

So I called her and told her that if she ever thinks she sees him again, she should call the cops. And if she reached out to me first, I would call the cops - because they are in a much better position to protect her than I am. She got quiet and said she understood. Two hours later she emailed me something about her case, which in my mind was her way of apologizing.

Did I handle that right? Was I too harsh? Keep in mind when I started working with her, she would tell me and the other advocate she wanted to go to this vague 'hospital' for ideations. When we told her we would call the hospital the next time she expressed ideations, she stopped and then later told us she 'set a date' for her death if things don't get better. The point is, the imposition of consequences stopped her. So I feel like since the whole 'I think I see him, I'm so scared" is now replacing "I want to go to the hospital, I feel suicidal", I need to be firm from the get go.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:24:05 AM »

Hi FeelingBitter,

Well yesterday she emailed me and said 'I have the hugest news about my case, call me when you can." I was reticent to call her but we haven't talked since May so I thought it would be ok. We talked on the phone for an hour about her case and it was fine. I gave her an action plan of steps and we hung up.

An hour later I get a call from her. Shouldn't have picked it up, but I did. She told me that she had driven back to school, was in a gas station, and "thought she saw him" and was "so scared" and "hiding in the bathroom.' By *him*, she was referring to the abuser, who was kicked off campus and who she has a protection order against. Keep in  mind she has been doing this for the last few months, telling me and her best friend at different times that she 'thinks she sees him' everytime she feels one of us is pulling away.

It seems to me that you are having to deal with your BPD friend/client in a manner similar to how a therapist might. Professional boundaries will be your lifeline. And she will try to cross over those boundaries how ever she may.

As I see it, when she was able to talk to you for an hour about your case, that was perhaps not a moment of intimacy per say, but it was a time when she felt like she could depend upon someone, and that someone is you.

And so that familiarity triggered in her a fear that suddenly you would no longer be available to her (i.e. imagined abandonment) and this is perhaps why she phoned you an hour later, and perhaps fabricated the whole scenario where she saw her abuser. I compare this behavior to how a waif BPD uses "helplessness" as a means of control: she describes herself as being in a situation where she is a potential victim in the hopes that this will motivate you to "rescue" her.

This is exactly why she thinks she sees him every time one of her support members starts to pull away. But also whenever she feels like she can depend upon you, or feels connected to you in some way, this is also a trigger for her.

So I called her and told her that if she ever thinks she sees him again, she should call the cops. And if she reached out to me first, I would call the cops - because they are in a much better position to protect her than I am. She got quiet and said she understood. Two hours later she emailed me something about her case, which in my mind was her way of apologizing.

Did I handle that right?

I think if you want to try to limit this possible behavior of her's where she is crying "wolf" whenever she feels anxiety, then you made the right call. Otherwise, she's going to continue to use you as a security blanket whenever she experiences feelings of anxiety for some reason or another.

Was I too harsh?

I think she will be disappointed with any boundaries or limitations you place upon her.

Keep in mind when I started working with her, she would tell me and the other advocate she wanted to go to this vague 'hospital' for ideations. When we told her we would call the hospital the next time she expressed ideations, she stopped and then later told us she 'set a date' for her death if things don't get better.

This is exactly what a borderline waif does.  Consider reading the parable of "the bridge" by Edwin Friedman.  Here's a link.

She needs to learn how to deal with her anxieties without using other people. You, perhaps, just need to learn to deal with the guilt you feel that for some reason or another, she might be triggering in you.

Best wishes,

Schwing

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:46:05 AM »

Unfortunately dealing with pwBPD you will need to be "harsh". This is the reality of being black and white. pwBPD think in black and white anyway, so they understand this as long as it is consistent.

Softening the edges leads you into grey areas which leaves them confused, so they try again.

Seeing the "bogeyman/ object of her fears" is simply a way of putting a name to her fears, even though the fear may be about something less tangible.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
sweetheart

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »

You did great, you have set a clear boundary that will keep you emotionally safe in your role as advocate for this woman.

FeelingBitter

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

Hi everyone 

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. This site is such a wonderful resource, and has helped me feel so incredibly supported. So thank you SO much.

Schwing, thank you so much for your truly insightful response. This part: "And so that familiarity triggered in her a fear that suddenly you would no longer be available to her (i.e. imagined abandonment) and this is perhaps why she phoned you an hour later, and perhaps fabricated the whole scenario where she saw her abuser."

This makes so so much sense now. I was confused why after talking with me for so long, she would then feel anxiety about being 'abandoned.' Like that made no sense to me then, but now it does. Thanks!

It also touches on waverider's comments - that seeing the 'bogeyman' is really a way of putting a name to her fears - namely her fear and anxiety around being abandoned by me.

It kind of reminds me of manchausens in a way right? People with manchausen's invent physical illnesses to really treat unrelated mental and emotional pain.

Thank you for validating my gut feeling that setting firm boundaries was the right thing to do. I don't have a mental health background so working with her makes me so nervous.

I guess I DO feel guilty, because I've backed off so much and I obviously feel empathy for her as a survivor. I'm just an empathetic person naturally, and I've never been good at setting boundaries for myself. But this case is really forcing me to get better in that respect.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest