Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 356 times)
Guillaume620
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 28, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »

I found my way to this website through an exploration of the Drama Triangle (which I discovered in Melody Beattie's "Codependent No More". My wife and the love of my life suffers from clinical depression and anxiety and I am trying to master all of the resources that I can do deal with it.  It has gotten progressively worse over the past 4-5 years and is now acute to the point that she doesn't really function at times.  I am a "rescuer", always trying to fix things, make excuses to friends and family, hide the "embarrassment".  I am learning to break away from that role, but it is hard to watch someone you love sink further into depression and inactivity.  I feel responsible to my wife's family, who are far away geographically t]and who expect me to aggressively "solve" this problem, even though their ideas on "solving" are counterproductive.

I've been in therapy off and on, but I am hoping that a community of people that have perhaps gone through or are going through what I am currently going through can help.

Thank You
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

ArleighBurke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

Welcome!

My wife is a high functioning BPD with depression and anxiety. She appears "normal" to the world during the week, then falls apart each weekend.

I also find there is a fine line between loving/supportive and enabling.

Do you suspect your wife has BPD? It probably doesn't matter, the techniques/resources/mindset here would apply whether she does or not.

Can you tell us more about your situation? How old are you both? How long have you been together? Do you have kids living with you? What is a typical interaction you have with her?

It's fantastic that you want to help - and I'm sure you will find some guidance and answers here.

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »

Guillaume620,

Welcome

I'd like to join ArleighBurke and welcome you. Anxiety and depression is really tough. I'm sorry to hear that you're wife is going this. I would find it hard watching a loved sink further into depression. CBT was initially designed to help people suffering from depression. Is your wife seeing a T ( therapist )? Are you seeing a T? Do you find time to do things that you enjoy? What motivated you to search for Karpmann drama triangles?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »

Guillaume620,

Glad you found the site, and sorry for the troubles that bring you here.

In what ways is she not functioning?

Is she getting out of bed?

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest