Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
July 31, 2015, 12:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, EaglesJuJu, lbjnltx, Kwamina, livednlearned, Mutt, Suzn, Turkish, Waverider   
Advisors: maxen, madmom, once removed
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?  (Read 28082 times)
BentNotBroken

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »

Randi Kreger- A caution on using that reference to Phineas Gage. Some new research has been conducted that deconstructs the Myth of Phineas Gage. The wikipedia article has some information and references that are quite enlightening on the subject.

wanttoknowmore

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »

Agree. That it is a combination of genetic vulnerability and childhood trauma/environment.
I just want to add that among siblings who have BPD ,they present symptoms differently .e.g.
one sister is quick to break and go to new relationship every few months whereas other sister changes partner only 2 or 3 times in entire life. Both have fear of abandonment though. First one has chaotic work life ,second one has stable job life and so on. Degree of symptoms can vary among siblings.
XL

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »

I absolutely learned from my BPD mom. I have a very good early childhood memory, and most of my behavior was a slow spiral in direct relationship to her level of craziness. I was a smart, quiet, helpful, normal kid that got dragged into the middle of a load of relentless chaos.

I see the behavior as a kind of "grasping at straws" in lieu of proper emotional vocabulary. We witness people resolving conflicts with tantrums, threats and abuse, and when conflict arises in our own lives that's the only tool we have.

I think this is why DBT is so useful. It's a tool box of life skills I didn't learn as a child.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Tigerabbit

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »

Oh boy, this is a big topic for me and my pwBPD. He did have a TBI, which he has historically blamed on me. He also has OCD, and for the first 2-3 years after he obsessed INTENSELY about his intelligence (the only thing he valued about himself at the time, which he felt he lost because of me. He is brilliant, and I never noticed a change in his intelligence, only his self-confidence). This has been a huge source of contention between us. He was attacked by a group of about 7 guys after we had gotten in an argument and were walking down the street late at night. His yelling due to our argument (I had walked away at this point, and when I returned there they were harassing him) was misinterpreted by these sad excuses for human beings who attacked him from behind and proceeded to kick him in the head until I jumped on him to prevent them from kicking him anymore. He blames the entire preceding argument on me (not to shirk my role in it. It takes two to argue, but I didn't make those guys attack him), and has said very hurtful things such as "I wish you had just let me die". And at other times I've been called his angel, but it's been a long time since I've heard that sentiment. I've been painted black for a long time now. (Lesson I learned here...   NEVER argue in public. EVER.)

Anyway, regarding your actual question, it definitely didn't bring on his BPD, but I think it may have made it worse. Whether or not that is due to purely psychological or physiological reasons, or a combination of the two, I don't know. I have too heard of TBI's causing drastic changes in people's personalities, however, often making them depressed, moody and volatile.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." -Plato
daze

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »

Yes, my uBPDh was in a coma for a month due to a four wheeler accident when he was 13.  He also witnessed and experienced domestic violence as a very young child.  And he was also sexually abused by a female babysitter as a young child.
Seb

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 05:36:45 AM »

My ex apparently slept-walked and fell out of her bedroom window when she was about 13/14 and ended up in hospital...   broken bones, head injury, etc.

Don't know how much of her story I believe; I sometimes wonder if she didn't really sleep walk, and if it was all just a cry for attention from her parents.
hergestridge

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2015, 05:58:16 AM »

I would also recommend you to track down some general information about the cause of BPD outside of this site. You will find a less psychodynamically colored take on things, where consensus is that not so much is known about the cause of BPD at all.
Skip
DSA Recipient
Site Director

Person in your life: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »

I would also recommend you to track down some general information about the cause of BPD outside of this site. You will find a less psychodynamically colored take on things, where consensus is that not so much is known about the cause of BPD at all.

What types of resources are you recommending?
enlighten me

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »

From what ive read im inclined to favour nature over nurture as the main cause. I believe nurture is only a factor in an abusive upbringing.

Where nuture plays a role with BPD in most cases is due to how the pwBPD is treated due to their behaviour. A child with BPD may play up more, may lie more, may have more caue to be told off. This I believe is why they grow up feeling they were victimised.

I believe my exgf daughter is highly likely to have BPD. Ive witnessed how her and her brother are treated and it is normally the same. Where the difference lies is that she likes to make trouble and therefore gets told off more. Her mum also panders to her to try and prevent her blowing up.
enlighten me

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »

This is a support site as opposed to a research site but that said there is a wealth of knowledge here.

I think the problem with BPD is that no one has a 100% answer to the cause. Everything is opinion. Be it that of psychiatrists or that of doctors.

All you can do is research findings on BPD and come to your own conclusion until a definitive answer is found.

You can research behaviours and this can be a useful way of finding a cause but you will be met with a myriad of opinions.
Links and Information

Your Account
Settings
Moderation Appeal
Become a Sponsor
Sponsorship Account

TOOLS
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic