Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: How common are personality disorders?  (Read 4007 times)
FeelingBitter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »

I'm jumping in here because I'm shocked to see such high prevalance rates. I have pretty rich life experience. I know people from all walks of life. This pwBPD who I've known for the last year? I have NEVER met ANYONE like her. She is something else. And btw, I've worked with a TON of trauma survivors. This is the first severe pwBPD I've ever met. No way is it 6% of the population. No way.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Matt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »

I'm jumping in here because I'm shocked to see such high prevalance rates. I have pretty rich life experience. I know people from all walks of life. This pwBPD who I've known for the last year? I have NEVER met ANYONE like her. She is something else. And btw, I've worked with a TON of trauma survivors. This is the first severe pwBPD I've ever met. No way is it 6% of the population. No way.

I was married for 12 years to a woman with BPD;  she is pretty much a textbook example, with very extreme behavior at times.

Before we were married, I knew her for many years - worked with her - had a lot of the same friends.  It never entered my mind that she might be mentally ill!

BPD tends to show itself within intimate relationships - spouses, siblings, kids, parents.  Not so much in working relationships or among friends.

If you know 100 people, maybe 6 of them do have BPD... .but don't show it outside their homes... .

gotbushels

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »

I'm jumping in here because I'm shocked to see such high prevalance rates. No way is it 6% of the population. No way.  

To add to what Matt said, it's somewhat accepted that high-functioning pwBPDs act normal unless the BPD behaviours are triggered. It's believed some high-functioning pwBPDs have tendencies not to show BP behaviours except to family and people close to them. This tendency is consistent with the suggestion that the 6% result is an underestimation. To balance--it's actually sometimes thought to be one of the most common PDs of all the PDs. E.g., a study showed that amongst 859 outpatients, BPD appeared by far the most prevalent out of Cluster B (Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic).*

*Source: Data from Table 3 from Mark Zimmerman, Louis Rothschild, and Iwona Chelminski, "The prevalence of DSM-IV personality disorders in psychiatric outpatients," American Journal of Psychiatry 162 (2005): 1911-1918. (link)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions