CAUSE: Without childhood abuse and trauma?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bitzee:
In my own family, I do believe my sister is Borderline (un-dx).  My family was not an abusive one.  My mother was a sensitive person, prone to depression and high-strung, but neither she nor my father had a personality disorder.

My sister was born while my father was overseas in the miltary.  My mother was without support, and had an infant, a toddler, and a 4 year old to care for on her own.  She became clinically depressed, possibly as a result of a post-partum depression that went untreated, and she was unable to continue to care for her children.  At the age of 6 months, my sister was separated from the other two children and sent for an extended stay with my grandmother... .until my mother recovered. 

This scenario produced a Borderline.  Early separation from the caregiver and probably also emotional neglect due to my mother's depression... .  The rest of my sister's childhood was normal.

Genetically, my sister probably inherited my mother's sensitive nature and, in the first few months of her life, she was not properly nurtured.  Abuse was not a factor, but my mother was unable to cope with the difficult circumstances life had presented to her.

My sister went on to have a diagnosed Borderline daughter.  Interestingly, she repeated the scenario of separation from the caregiver when her own daughter was also 6 months of age.  She was going through a divorce and had to give her daughter to my other sister to care for. 

RavenK:
Thank you, Bitzee, that was very helpful to hear about.

-RK

Bitzee:
I'm glad it helped.  I thought it was a good concrete example of some of the points borderchic made.

I might also add, just to clarify, that the events I described occurred during wartime and my father had been drafted.  So, my parents' separation from each other was particularly stressful.  Also, it was back in the day before post-partum depression was a recognized condition... .and anti-depressants had not yet been invented.

My other sister, who was nearly two years old at the time did not seem to be adversely effected (she was sent to my other grandmother).  Whether that was due to a more nurturing infancy that she may have had or to a different biological nature, I can't say.  She is much more like my father, however.

elphaba:
Everything I know about DB's childhood, shows no signs of abuse, abandonment or any real trauma... .all of his siblings are fairly well adjusted, responsible caring adults.  His behavior problems started at a very young age from what his family had told me in the past.  His sister closest in age to him is one of the most positive, loving, upbeat people I have ever met.

So, yes... .I think it is entirely possible for this illness to develop without major abuse/trauma... .

Mousse:
I think with mine, it was hypersensitivity, traumatized by childhood physical illness, and an invalidating environment. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page