August 01, 2014, 02:47:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: an0ught, livednlearned, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: BacknthSaddle, corraline, cosmonaut, DreamFlyer99, formflier, free'n'clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, Love is Not Enough, maxen, maxsterling, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, woodsposse, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Think About It... An individual’s overall life functioning is linked closely to his level of emotional maturity or differentiation. People select ... partners who have the same level of emotional maturity.
Emotional immaturity manifests in unrealistic needs and expectations. ~ Murray Bowen, M.D.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do BPD men know how to love, or is it just a pretense to get you where they want  (Read 2461 times)
della

« on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:39 AM »

Iv been seeing a BPD man for 14 months now and when he is 'normal' he says he loves me,  but then he chages and says he never loved me he is just telling me what I want to hear. When 'he is in his loving stage' he honestly appears to love me, but at other times he doesn't! How can he change so much? I know it is a characteristic of his illness, but i really need to know, is he capable of love?
pallavirajsinghani
Distinguished Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:48:29 AM »

I think that it is the egocentric love similar to that of a three year old child.  Is it true love, sure, it is, for the moment it exists.  It is not the mature love which giveth and taketh.  To me, it appears that the BPD love is totally conditional.  The universe exists only for them, and you are just a part of it.  You are there for them, they are not there for you.

Mind you, I state this not as a criticism. but as an observation.

I implore yoy to read read and read all the posts you can on this site and also read as much literature.books you can on BPD.

Please understand that all the love in the world cannot cure them.  The operative word here is cure.  However, specialized therapy called DBT is known to help them.  They must be committed to this therapy in order to learn how to control their abusive behavior.

Forgive me for the typs, zi am typing in the dark.

Humanity is a stream my friend, and each of us individual drops.  How can you then distinguish one from the other?

Finding_Myself_again

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:58:20 AM »

Hi Della and  Welcome! ,

Like pallavirajsinghani wrote, they have moments they feel they love you but it is indeed the feeling what they call love.  It has nothing to do with how a mature healthy adult would feel love.

Part of the game is their fear of being abandoned, once you come too close they fear you will leave so they push you away or leave you in order not to have to re-live the abandonment pain they lived in their past.

Don't think that by loving him even more and trying to convince him you will never leave him because you love him he will believe you and only give you I love moments, he will not get it, he lives in a different world. 

Until last week, I wanted to learn even more about BPD to be able to take as much pain as possible from my friend and just be there for him in diffcult moments.  He managed to push me over the edge 1 time too much.  Today I'm NC and everyday I realise more and more that what he called 'love me or care about me' was just fulfilling a need he had and even had nothing to do with me.

Take care of yourself and read as much as possible on this forum, go over the different boards this helps greatly in getting more insight in BPD and will help you to make up your mind.

Take care

FMA

They love without measure those whom they will soon hate without reason - Thomas Sydenham
Auspicious
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:01 AM »

If he has BPD, then he doesn't have a solid identity; a solid sense of self that persists over time through changes.  That's why his feeling of the moment is his "reality"; if he doesn't feel loving to you at this moment that must mean (he thinks) that he never really loved you.

Think of the brain as a machine that makes sense of things.  A mentally ill brain is broken (or ill tuned, anyway). It doesn't work right, but it is still going to try to make sense of things.  The "I must have never really loved you, I was just fooling myself" story is a way to make sense of things, without which they would have a very uneasy feeling of not being able to integrate the evidence of their senses.

Have you read the Lessons?

thewife

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »

With me it's ...I really love you,now what's in it for me attitude. I always get the, i work don't I ,I come home,don't I..I think in his mind he is more than wonderful and loving and he is sincere. He's actually very manipulating and selfish. 
peacebaby

Home Board: SO-Staying

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »

I personally believe that a BPD diagnosis does not make one incapable of love.

I think when they get dysregulated they say things they don't mean out of self-protection.

Though of course I can't answer about your specific situation.

Keep reading and thinking...

Peacebaby
Hannahbanana

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »

I personally believe that a BPD diagnosis does not make one incapable of love.

I think when they get dysregulated they say things they don't mean out of self-protection.

I agree with this take on it, somewhat, although i still don't understand why my ex told me he loved me daily for 11 months or so, then i don't love you and never did, for the next 5-6 months...roughly every week he would say this to me.  He never went back to saying he loved me, it was as though once he decided he did not...he never said it again, but still contacted me and pressured me in exactly the same way he had when he apparantly loved me.  I have no idea whether it was because he just didn't love me, or if it was because he said he did not, so felt he couldn't just change back, because i cried and cried and made a bit of a drama out of it all and i said "you think it is normal to just change your mind like that at the drop of a hat.  You told me yesterday that you loved me more each day, and today you are telling me you do not love me and never did...this is not the normal behaviour of a sane individual"  I even hung up the phone on him telling him that he had just confirmed his skewed mental status to me by changing his mind about something as serious as loving someone, all because they disagreed with a comment he made (this was prior to me knowing about BPD)  After that, he kept saying things like "i love the way you dress, or i love the way you do this or that, or i love you as a person, or i love a lot of things about you..i care about you or have massive feelings for you" but never again did he say "i love you"

His friend told me that he was advised by other friends to back off from me at one point, because he was diving in so deep and forcefully, that they assumed he would scare me off.  He said they knew he really wanted to make it work with me because he would not stop talking about me and that one of his friends had advised him to be less keen, as apparantlyt girls get too cocky and start taking the pi** when they know a guy is very into them.  He thinks my ex took it literally and in true BPD form, went to the extreme with it and messed everythig up.
dados76

Think outside the box.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »

to quote my partner:

'we're friends! I love you! I can't deny you anything, no i can't. you need a present, i love you i love you!'

'i'm not a fan of you today. ugh just go AWAY. i don't love you hardly at all today. stop bugging me.'

... and this is to the cat. wink

Anna17

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 06:57:35 PM »

I agree with peacebaby. Or, at least, this is the case with my BPDh.

He is a loving and loyal partner when he is stable. When "the demon awakes," when he is stressed or feels threatened or whatever and goes into a rage, he lashes out. I see now that the nasty things he says grow out of a need to protect and defend himself. They are not a reflection of what he truly feels.
della

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

thanks guys, I think I agree with Anna and Peacebaby. My BPDbf has even admitted to being impulsive and saying things to me that he doesn't mean and then regretting them later. I guess, in his way, this is an apology, an admission that he isn't always stable?
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic