COMPARISON: BiPolar Disorder vs BPD

<< < (2/12) > >>

geroldmodel:
Excerpt

I believe that the acid test is treating for bipolar and looking at the leftover symptoms.

I found this board after 14 years of ex being treated for his bipolar and not being symptom free.

From what I read over the years,

psychiatrist will first treat "possible bipolar" with anti-psychotic meds and see how the patient evolves... .

Anti-psychotic meds don't help PD... .so if the patient doesn't inprove it's a personality disorder.

GameGirl:
Hi All -

This is a question that frequently comes up on this board and I found a very interesting article about it today that I thought might be useful.

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/46236.php

Randi Kreger:
When I was writing my new book, the psychiatrist whom I spoke with most often was just spitting mad at this article/study (don't remember which it is). He didn't agree with it.

GameGirl:
Quote from: Randi Kreger on June 27, 2008, 12:46:58 PM

When I was writing my new book, the psychiatrist whom I spoke with most often was just spitting mad at this article/study (don't remember which it is). He didn't agree with it.

I thought it was really interesting, and I agree that the co occurance of bipolar and BPD are way over diagnosed.  I think that doctors diagnose BPD patients with bipolar so that they can get better insurance coverage, and that doctors diganose Bipolar patients with BPD because they can look very BPD when they are in an episode. 

For the bipolar advocacy community, this can present a huge problem because bipolar folks are not getting the correct dx, treatment or understanding of their illness, which is distinctly different from borderline personality disorder, even though people with bipolar can manifest many of the same symptoms.  Doc sees a bipolar cutting and says "borderline" immediately.  This is often  not the case.  Doc sees rage and says "borderline" despite the fact that rage is a huge symptom of a mixed bipolar mania.  Same with substance abuse, hypersexuality etc.

When you work with both populations, you do see some who definately have both, but for the most part they really don't.  There are some major differences that you get a feel for over time.  For me, I don't see the amount of overlap that is being dxd and I don't see much response to bipolar meds such as lamictal etc., when given to borderlines.  I do see a good rate of remission, but I have seen it come from group and individual therapy. The meds that I have seen work are APs like seroquel and anti depressants.

Randi Kreger:
It's been awhile since anyone posted, but for closure I wanted to add this. This is from my new book, the Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder, out in November 2008:Both people with BPD and those with bipolar disorder experience dramatic mood swings. But there are three crucial differences: 1. People with BPD cycle much more quickly, often several times a day.2. The mood swings with BPD are more specific: all emotions are affected (fear, anger, sadness) while people with bipolar either have mania (intensely high) or major depression.3. The moods in people with BPD are more dependent, either positively or negatively, on what’s going on in their life at the moment.Randi KregerWelcome to Oz Community OwnerStop Walking on Eggshells and the SWOE WorkbookThe Essential Family Guide to BPD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page