|
Title: How to approach specific therapy for SO?¢ Post by: YaboiE-San on August 19, 2026, 03:51:48 PM I know last night I was panicking a bit. We just had a really big fight and I kinda just cracked under the pressure. I've calmed down a bit, and figured the best way for both of us to move forward is to get some kind of therapy or counseling for this. The only issue is I'm a little afraid to suggest the idea, as she may just say no and outright refuse if I'm a little too nasty. Any tips or ideas for how to approach the idea gently? And possibly how to know when is a good time to bring it up (I'm not very good with social cues)
Title: Re: How to approach specific therapy for SO?¢ Post by: mendingway26 on August 20, 2026, 12:56:56 PM The fact that you calmed down enough overnight to look for a constructive path says a lot. Timing and framing make all the difference with this conversation.
Lead with you, not her. "I don't want to keep fighting like this, and I don't want to keep hurting you either, I want us to get help" lands differently than anything that starts with what she should do. It is hard for anyone to refuse a request that is about your own struggle. Pick a calm window, not the aftermath of a fight. Even a day or two of quiet makes the suggestion feel less like an accusation. Offer to go together rather than sending her. Couples counseling feels like a shared project instead of a verdict that she is the problem. If she refuses that too, you can still go alone, and that is not a failure, it gives you tools for whatever happens next. If she reacts badly anyway, don't argue the point that night. Plant the seed once, gently, and let it sit. These ideas often get processed in private long after the conversation ends. Title: Re: How to approach specific therapy for SO?¢ Post by: BigMac on August 24, 2026, 01:37:25 PM I've gone through this myself. I've pushed a few times for my wife to see someone but never by telling her that she needs to be the one to go. I've suggested going for couples counseling and framed it as my needing help. That, at least, went over well enough, even if I didn't actually get her entirely on board. I have on 2 separate occasions started seeing a councilor on my own when I have become overwhelmed. Through seeing improvements in myself she has at times mentioned that she was going to look into seeing someone herself but has not yet. When she brings it up I'll usually say something encouraging without pushing. Something like "we could all use help sometimes" or "everyone should see a therapist from time to time."
Don't be afraid to seek help yourself. The times I've gone have been incredibly helpful. |