Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NAMI resources  (Read 1470 times)
i-res-q

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: married

« on: August 13, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »

I encourage you all to look up a chapter near you and find out everything that is available to you and your loved one. I will be stating the Family to Family program in about 4 weeks and can not wait. It is 12 weeks and from what I've heard, wonderful.

I went to a meeting.  It was so informative and interesting. They are offered free at various locations in the area. Being a suburb of Chicago we have quite a rich source of services if you know where and how to look. There are transitional housing programs, day training classes, and therapy all offered through NAMI- National Alliance for Mental Illness. I was in a small group with 4 other people who all have grown children with various disorders and levels of functionality.

www.nami.org/
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Vivgood

Relationship status: married 14 years

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »

Great link, thank you!

vivgood
momofrage

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »

I was just perusing the National Alliance on Mental Illness website - www.nami.org. It is a national organization for patients (they call them "consumers", their families, and the general public.

I called the local chapter to get info on the Family-to-Family program for myself, and the Peer-to-Peer program for my BPD/bipolarDD17. Our area doesn't run the programs until they get enough people signed up that are interested, so it might not be until spring, but I signed up myself, DH, and DD as interested. Our local NAMI also runs a bimonthly support group for family members. I am going to try it out on Monday (DH is in town on Mondays, so theoretically he could go along, but I bet he won't). I also invited a girlfriend - she has a bipolar freshman DD in H.S., and several other kids with various serious issues.

Check out the website - look under "Support and Programs" to find something you might like, then see what is available in your area. I read the following on the website, and it really resonated with me:

"Anyone familiar with mental illness knows that recovery is not a singular event, but a multi-dimensional, multi-linear journey characterized more by the mindset of the one taking it than by his or her condition at any given moment along the way.

Understanding recovery as having several dimensions makes its uneven course easier to accept. Much as we don't blame the cancer patient for dying of invasive tumors, we can't condemn a consumer whose symptoms overtake his or her best efforts to manage illness.

Recovery is the point in someone's illness in which the illness is no longer the first and foremost part of his or her life, no longer the essence of all his or her existence.

Ultimately, recovery is about attitude and making the effort."

Right now, by this definition, my DD is in recovery. And I guess I am too! Hooray for us!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I also found the following for my DD - many of you have bipolar or depressive relatives, or perhaps yourself:

"The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) is a national non-profit organization whose mission is to provide hope, help, and support to improve the lives of people living with depression or bipolar disorder, through the use of peer-based, recovery-oriented, empowering services and resources. Since it was first founded in 1985, DBSA has helped millions of people with mood disorders. For more information about the national organization, click on www.dbsalliance.org/ "

My DD is very receptive to this - she's wanted to go for a while, but DBT was on Monday nights when the local group meets. Now that she's stopped the DBT, I think she's going to try it out. I hope so.
GameGirl

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »

FYI - the term consumer or client is almost always used in mental health instead of patient because the term patient is a remnant of the medical model of mental health treament, which gave most of the power to the doctor and little to the person seeking treatment.
Togetheritispossible

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »

we joined the Family to Family group with NAMI. I have to say i will cherish the people we met and forever remember the hearts that told their stories. We met each week for a few hours and looked forward to the next. week... we now get together once a month for an update. in addition to this board it was a place that i felt not alone and very understood.  i would reccomend this to you.Smiling (click to insert in post) x
twojaybirds

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »

I just spent two (out of 4 ) days at the annual NAMI conference.   

Shawn Shea was exceptional and I recommend his book on happiness.

www.suicideassessment.com/web/top-level/happinessis.html

I heard Sasha's mom and dad speak.  How compelling.

www.sashbear.org/

I attended a writing workshop by two moms with books on why we need to tell our stories

www.benbehindhisvoices.com/  and   www.bridgeross.com/brainbroke.html

These were not BPD but moms with children with other mental health issues.  Our journeys can be very similar.

Without insulting any of you I did leave Marsha Lindehams's DBT workshop. I have not yet joined the fan club of DBT.  I believe a good therapist knows a lot and meets his clients where they are at.  DBT therapist only use that one therapy, which may sometimes work.  However I left her work shop because she focused on her  "I did this"  and "I did that"

I spoke to a family therapist later on who also walked on on her for some what the same reasons.  The only highlight I got from her was her disturbed mental health history which I was unaware of.

www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/health/23lives.html?pagewanted=all

I also saw Brandon Marshall. www.projectborderline.com/Official_Site/Home.html He was a bit humbling but still a football player. " I have a 5-year 50 million dollar contract." pregnant pause.  "Let me repeat that, a 5-year 50 million dollar contract." I specifically asked him a follow up questions about his belief in what schools should be doing.  While he stated that was his platform, to minimize suspension and work with kids in school, and his project wants to help with that ,he offered no action steps. At the end I then gave him my card and invited him to my school.   I also just sent a follow-up email.   I hope he walks his talk and I get some sort of reply.

I also learned that NAMI trains the police nation wide on how signs of mental illness and how to respond to these folks differently.  Its called CIT www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=cit2   They are more than willing to come onto schools and to do professional development for teachers/ counselors/ admin.

Next year the coinferenc will be in Texas.  If you contact them early enough you can often volunteer in lieu of conference fees.
cfh

Relationship status: Married 30 + years and struggling under the strain

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

I have been a volunteer with NAMI and they do wonderful work.  One of the things that I am most impressed with is their mission to educate the police to recognize the difference between criminal behavior and the behaviors of a person with a mental illness.  It's a slow process but they are making progress especially in New York City.
vivekananda

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:27:07 AM »

HI twojaybirds, thank you for all that feedback and those valuable links.

I am sorry to hear that the DBT workshop was full of a great 'I am' - what a disappointment. Personally I am hoping that DBT will be our life line. It seems the best thing we may have here where I live (and I think it would suit my dd) - it seems to be tailored to suit the needs of the person here though, in the way that it's delivered... .maybe different places do it in different ways? Group 'classes', followed by one on one discussion/interaction with a T, for a year it seems.

I am pleased you have been out and about and active on behalf of us all and our dear ones with BPD. I hope that guy Marshall comes to your school (who he is, not known by general public here in Aust - I'll check out his website).

Hope the next two days are good for you,

Vivek  
sam-99

Relationship status: single parent

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »

We saw the psychiatrist yesterday and he recommended my dd's sister and I take the Family to Family course which is 12 weeks.  Has anyone went through this course.  Will it address our needs with the BPD?  Is it worth the time?  We will be driving almost an hour to and from and it looks like the cours is 2 1/2 hours long.  Your comments please.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
lovesjazz

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »

I have taken and now teach the Family to Family course. It is well worth it. Not only knowledge, but resources and

Networking. It gave me a whole different view of what my BPD is going through. Don't miss it.
griz

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »

Where would I find out about this class in New York.

Griz
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
cfh

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

Call your local chapter to find out when they are giving the next one in your area.  We took it and it was great but it is not specific to BPD.
sam-99

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »

I did apply for the Family Connections Course through the NEA-BPD site but may be awhile for it to come to our area.

Maybe the NAMI will help something till then.
Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »

I took the Family to Family course and did not find it helpful.  We maybe spent about 45 minutes out of a 12 week class on BPD and then it was pretty basic stuff.  I know that you said that you signed up for the Family Connections Course (NEA-BPD). . perhaps you could call them directly and let them know how desperate you are, they may move you to the top of someones teleconnections course.
somuchlove
Formerly " t6450"

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »

What type of things do they do at these sessions?  Would they be good for trying to blend family, help with a child that is tough to manage.
Being Mindful

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »

My dh and I did the course together. It was extremely helpful and educational, plus we met others who were also trying to help their person w/BPD. Our group went on to meet beyond the course work. It can be very worthwhile, especially if you put in the effort by attending each week and doing the little bit of homework. I recommend it.
cfh

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

Sam99

Though Family to Family spent very little time just on BPD it was so helpful in role playing how to communicate with a mentally ill person.  Plus we made such great friends over the 12 weeks.  

Now we just had our first class of Family Connections Course (NEA-BPD) and spent 2 hours on introductions.

I'm still not sure if this is going to be as helpful because almost everyone in the class has a pwBPD whose life is quite successful and on track.  They hold good jobs, have completed advanced degrees, are married with kids, no drugs or suicide attempts, no DUI's, probation, jail etc.

Not at all similar to what so many of us experience on this board.

I almost wondered if I was in the right place!
sam-99

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:10 AM »

Thanks for the replys.  My UD and I are going to sign up for the next class.  Worth a try.  We need all the help we can get.
sunshineplease

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:40 AM »

Has anyone else had a hard time getting into a NAMI cycle? I tried to sign up for one yesterday, and was grilled pretty relentlessly about what, exactly, was happening with my daughter, and whether she had a firm dx that would fit in with their criteria. I was thinking, gee, I'm describing some pretty "sick" behaviors (cutting, suicidal ideation, hospitalization, meds). We left it that she was going to talk to the other two "teachers" and get back to me, but 24 hours later she still hasn't.
cfh

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

Sunshine

I do remember before we took the class that one of the teachers called me to get a very detailed description of our ds.  I think they need to do that to make sure the class is for the people who need it and not some "voyeur".

And to make sure it's for the family member and not the consumer.

It's a really good course so give it another try.
sam-99

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »

I never talked to a soul. Did it all through email. Guess I got it easy. Our class starts in 2 weeks.
cfh

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »

We took Family to Family a couple of years ago (loved it) and just went to our second session of Family Connections Course (NEA-BPD) for BPD families.

Happy to report the second session was better than the first and we are starting to get to know each other.  

Wouldn't it be great if these courses were ongoing and we could always go once a week?

whiletheseasonspass

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »

Sam 99- did NAMI 12 week Family to Family 2x.  First time I went without dh who was not on same page at time and I shared the issues about that too- and one of the co-leaders- there were three and they were wonderful! asked me if my dd had BPD.  I had thought possibly but that took my breath away when she asked for I felt validated at that time that maybe dd DID have it for the co-leader was really perceptive and knowledgeable.  I had already read Walking on Eggshells at that point.  

Second time dh and I went- dh was taking head out of sand at this point - (now he is WAY on the same page- seeing, being more healthy etc... .  but I digress)... .  we felt bonded with others who had loved ones with mental Illness. Although each session had it's good points that BPD was brushed over- talked about in passing and the first session I was the only one who had a pwBPD and the second time there was one person.  

So maybe a BPD Family to Family might be more useful in my opinion but wondering cfh,

you said
Excerpt
Now we just had our first class of Family Connections and spent 2 hours on introductions.

I'm still not sure if this is going to be as helpful because almost everyone in the class has a pwBPD whose life is quite successful and on track.  They hold good jobs, have completed advanced degrees, are married with kids, no drugs or suicide attempts, no DUI's, probation, jail etc.

Not at all similar to what so many of us experience on this board.

I almost wondered if I was in the right place!

Wow!  I can see how you might wonder if you were in the right place.  Why were they there generally speaking.  As I always say on this board there is a spectrum of difficulties with our own children.  Some here have more minor issues - some children have grown to become very high functioning- and the other extreme would be where I feel we are in our private world.  And there is the middle ground.  And in between the far ends and the middle.  And again our own personalities as parents - how we deal and then what we have learned i.e. skills.  

So I guess what I am wondering - what the parents were seeking by going to that program if their kids seemed successful and on track as you have described.  

Meanwhile- must I register to find out if it is in my state?  Or I guess I could google my state too and see if anything shows up.  

wtsp

somuchlove
Formerly " t6450"

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

Last  Wed. after reading this thread I got on the computer and googled NAMI.  I found the state agency where I live.  I called and immediately felt good at the conversation I had.  He put me in contact with 2 people that conduct Family to family with in about 60 miles of where I live.  I will be calling them today , I hope.  He also said the group here in the town I live has not been active for 2 yrs. but wanting to get going again.  He did give me the phone number to call someone here.  In 2 days I got a big packet of information.  Information BPD as well.  

I am interested in attending their classes but like most of us, my time is valuable and so want to make sure I am with a group that can meet the needs I have as far as BPD.  I imagine what makes the program work in each city is the person giving it as well.  

thanks to this site for providing me again with help and support.
cfh

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »

Family to Family through NAMI is great but it is a course on mental illness and will not be specific to BPD.  My group focused more on shizophrenia, bipolar and depression.

The Family Connections Course (NEA-BPD) given by another organization is only BPD

Those who teach the courses of both are all volunteers so I guess some will be better than others.  Im still in touch with one of the NAMI teachers and I ended up as a volunteer on their Helpline.

Even though NAMI is not just BPD i think you would get quite a bit from it.
momontherun

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »

I was going to do the NAMI Family to Family class as it was discussed at one of the bi-monthly meetings which are the same participants. I couldn't bring myself to sign up and since stopped attending the NAMI meetings. No one could relate and when they tried I felt singled out - sure everyone there had a pwMI and seemed to accept me/my situation. I couldn't take the pity, the constant look of remorse from them. Perhaps, it was just my perception and thought I'd give it another try maybe.

Then I found the Family Connections Course (NEA-BPD) - of course, its not available where I live... .  so few things are. Then I found there is a telephonic course and figured wth at least i'll be learning the same stuff and everyone attending are from all over with commonality: not only are we facing BPD but we are somewhat isolated. So though it is soon to start, I do have a sense of connection already. I just received the coursework for the first meeting and anticipating the introductions in an email so we can jump right to the course.
sunshineplease

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »

Seems I made the cut and will be attending, starting early next month. Hoping for good things.
vivekananda

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »

let us know how it goes eh?

Vivek    
sam-99

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »

On way home from first NAMI Family to Family class. I like it. Much like this board, it is good to be with people who get it. My UD is going with me so we will learn together and gain a lot I feel. We will both take different things away from it. We are the only BPd family in our class of 28 but I don't think it will matter. It's mental illness and all has some common threads. Will keep u posted.
raytamtay3

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married - 1 year - 2nd marriage

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »

I signed up for  a free course offered in my district through NAMI. It's a 12 week course every Tuesday from 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM beginning in September. It's called Family to Family.  I'm so excited about this and thought I'd share. It will be nice to be around others who have family members with mental illnesses for support, and to learn other ways of handling situations.  The woman I spoke to who is heading it up has a DD with bi-polar disorder.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
mama72

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

I took a 6 week class through NAMI a few years ago, and found it incredibly informative and supportive. I hope you find it the same, ray!
HealingSpirit

Relationship status: Married 19 years.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »

Hi Raytamtay,

We found NAMI in our area too.  Dh and I are going to the Family to Family too, which also starts this September.  Let's compare notes after the course. Smiling (click to insert in post)

I am excited as well.  I don't know how I got along before I found all these resources.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
raytamtay3

Relationship status: Married - 1 year - 2nd marriage

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »

Hi Raytamtay,

We found NAMI in our area too.  Dh and I are going to the Family to Family too, which also starts this September.  Let's compare notes after the course. Smiling (click to insert in post)

I am excited as well.  I don't know how I got along before I found all these resources.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

How cool! Different state but the same course during the same time period! Yes, will def. compare notes! Smiling (click to insert in post)
MammaMia

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

NAMI deals with a variety of mental illnesses.  Sadly, Family to Family does not include BPD.  Having said that, it is general knowledge about mental illness and was excellent in that regard. It focused on bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, OCD, and many affective disorders that can occur simultaneously with BPD as well as the biological changes occurring in the brain when mental illness is present, regardless of the cause (trauma, genetics, environmental factors, etc.).  I still highly recommend attending.

There is a separate telecommunication-type course for BPD offered by NEA.BPD on-line that was recommended by NAMI, but sadly, it is practically impossible to get into due to the volume of people who want it.  I have been on a waiting list for 6 months and recently received a notice that there was no clear indication of how long it would take to be scheduled.  As an alternative, they did offer a 12 week course on BPD in Virginia but that is not feasible unless you are in that locale.

With BPD so prevalent, I am mystified as to why there is not more help available.  It seems to be the one mental illness no one wants to talk about.  

Someday . . .

Relationship status: married, 36 years

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »

What Mammamia wrote is well worth paying attention to.  I notice that you live in New Jersey, I am sure that there are Family Connection classes given by NEABPD close by.  I would definitely recommend going to those classes rather than NAMI's.   I went through the Nami's classes and out of their 12 week curriculum BPD is mentioned for about one hour.   It was enjoyable to be around other people who have family members with mental illness, but to be honest, there were 30 people in the class and I was the only one who had a relative with BPD.   In the Family Connections classes through NEABPD, the entire 10 -12 week course is solely devoted to BPD and all the classmates have a relative with BPD.  So, to put it in a nutshell, if you are at all able to get into a Family Connections class it would be well worth your while!  Good Luck!
sunshineplease

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »

I also found the NAMI 12-week Family-to-Family program very helpful. They had to give me kind of special dispensation to attend, since my child didn't have a diagnosis on the list MammaMia enumerated above. Very nice folks, and a lot of great information on everything from prescription medications to communication and care-giver self-care. I especially appreciated thee anecdotal stuff on how people manage the health-care system. Really went a long way in helping me feel less alone. (My group also had a very strong emphasis on getting better funding and education for mental illness statewide.)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest