Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you be friends with your exBPD?  (Read 987 times)
Butterfly03

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: March 08, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »

You all know my story! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) I tried hard to remain friends with my exBPDbf but he wanted to take advantage of me emotionally and involve me in a triangular situation with his new girlfriend that I wanted no part of so I am now going into my second week NC. I am interested to hear from you guys out there - your stories.

Did anyone else try to stay friends with their exBPD? If so how did it work out are there any success stories out there at all?

or

Can you simply not be friends with your exBPD? What's your opinion.

I definately think you can't be friends with someone with BPD.

Butterfly
GCD145

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

Not just "no" but "no freakin' way in h&ll".

GCD145
VB

Relationship status: Trying again...

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

Why on earth would you want to be friends with them when you have got rid of them!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Harker

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »

Make a list of the qualities you would want in a friend, then tell me if that person qualifies... .
NewStart

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »

You can if you want to be used like everyone else in their lives.  Sure might seem like 'hey this is great, this person still has all this energy!'  But at it's core like everything else with a BPD it is all about people serving them and they will get that energy by taking it from you.  Remember they are emotional vampires.

So, do you wanna be one of the 'hang around girls' who never moved on and are there to fill his narcissistic glass when it's becoming empty?

PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

Relationship status: Separated since Nov 30, 2009

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »

I tried the whole friends thing once... .we ended up getting physical soon after and then *bam* back in our twisted relationship.

Can an Alcoholic be "Just a social drinker" or "Just go to clubs and drink soda"?

More importantly, can the BPD be "Just Friends" with anyone? This is a two way relationship, they would have actually be healthy to reciprocate any constructive friendship, something that they just aren't capable of doing.

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
amotherinvegas

Relationship status: Married 7 Years

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »

As someone who has a child with a BPD, I would love to hear stories about how the relationships change after they left. As much as I hate to admit it, he is an amazing father and she loves her father dearly. But I'm scared if I dont keep the peace with him, he may get violent and have to be banned from our lives. I read the article on this site titled Leaving a Partner with BPD and it was very helpful, but actual stories would be appreciated.
VanessaG

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »

I got twisted in the notion of contemplating the friend thing, even when he was with the new woman.  It was not the proudest time of my life, looking back on it.

At some point he told me he didn't think he could be platonic friends with a woman, something he'd proven repeatedly, then of course wanted to keep me around as a friend.  Yes, duh, Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) .  So when it very quickly became obvious I was getting twisted back up in the drama I said I wanted to be no contact and referred to his statement and history with NOT being able to be friends.  Wished him well, buh-bye.

I'll admit that I'm sure I seemed like a waffling fool, but at that point, it was a wonder I wasn't drooling and banging my head against solid walls.

Whoever suggested the list of what you look for in a friend and see if they fit the bill was right on.  You will find that in no way, shape or form will this person, in their current state, have the stability and emotional fortitude to be any sort of friend to you.  At best, it will be one-sided, with them getting their bottomless emotional need filled (in part) by you. 

Listen to your head.  Your heart still wants you to have hope.  Give it some serious time with no contact and see if, in six months or so, let's say, you still want to have them as a friend.

BTDT.  Have the t-shirt.  It says you're healthier without him.

VanessaG
theridler

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »

Run for the HILLS!11   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
bentknees

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »

I think your true friends have spoken here, so turn and don't look back! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Everytime I get around my exBPDbpw i hear a loud sucking sound... .thats my soul.

You can do it.

May the wind be at your backred-flag

Peace,

Bentknees
Butterfly03

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »

Hey my friends,

Thanks for all the replies! I'll just make it clear I have no intentions of breaking my NC ever with my exBPDbf, I have moved forward positively so much in so little time without him in my world. Going back to the gym to do yoga & meditation, taking my son for laps in the local pool, starting doing karate with my son three times a week in family classes, joined the local photography club and have just enrolled to study counselling/psychology for two years for my diploma. I tried so hard to be his friend at the end but he tried to take advantage of the friendship I had offered. ie wanting to still sleep with me while having his new girlfriend (YUK   ) and asked me for a loan! It makes my head spin that there actually people like this in this world.

Butterfly
confused01

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »

I tried it right after we broke up because I had second thoughts of leaving her. It was a terrible mistake. She was a different person, I was used and abused, everything was all one way. She was bitter and raged. Now that she is with someone else she wants to stay friends. There is no way. I do not advise being any kind of friend, from my experience. They don't know how to be friends. I got setback eveytime I saw her. The veterans on this board say nc is the only way out, they know what they are talking about.
rosebud

Relationship status: x 4 months

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »

Not just no, but HELL NO.  In past break-ups, I've never had a problem remaining friends, could always think of something positive to say about the person... .for one reason or another it just didn't work out.  BUT this one, no way.  A friendship with my BPDxh would have manipulation and triangulation (read definition) written all over it.  That's not a good feeling and it certainly isn't friendship.

rosebud
C12P21

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »

Mine has asked this of me, I think I would rather wear a tiolet plunger on my head.

C
rosebud

Relationship status: x 4 months

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »

Mine has asked this of me, I think I would rather wear a tiolet plunger on my head.

C

LOL!
man34

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:27 AM »

no way... .they suck u right back in there emotional trap... .no friendship... .
turtlesoup

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »

Well, her personality stinks, so aside from shimmy sham there doesn't seem a lot of point. 
AnonNZ

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 04:01:52 AM »

It depends on what you class as a friend... .

Personally, I don't want a friend I have doubts about, am watching, waiting and anticipating for the BPD behaviour to surface and constantly have to be on guard around... .
louise12

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 04:15:07 AM »

You can't be friends with them.  I really can empathise with you as this is raw to me at the moment.

He has new girlfriend and is still txting me expecting me to give in and sleep with him.   

Think yourself lucky you don't work with him.  I do!
Butterfly03

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 04:18:24 AM »

Oh gez louise12 your ex sounds like my exBPDbf. He tried the friends thing with me and expected me to still sleep with him even though he has moved on to a new girl... .how can they live like that?

Butterfly
lieslieslies

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 04:27:49 AM »

hi all,

NO YOU CANNOT !

3L
Indigo Sky

Relationship status: End of March 2013 she tried to have me charged with assault so she could benefit from it financially and then have me deported. Just about everyone has told me if I go back to her city most likely I will run into personal danger.

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 05:38:44 AM »

You can be a friend to them!

I dont think it is possible for them to be a friend with you!

All relations with a BPD is one way.

But being a friend to them is possible. You have to have great boundaries in place and no thoughts of being anything else but a friend. The moment you cross over from being just a friend to them to even thinking about restarting the relationship, your right back where you started from... .

Being a friend to them also means you take for granted that their lies and manipulation is part of who they are.

If you have any emotional attachment to them, I would suggest NC. I remember when just hearing her voice on the phone sent me into a tizzy, same thing happened with texting.
theridler

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 06:42:06 AM »

I don't mean this in a moral way, but what could possibly be any good about being a friend to someone who isn't a friend of yours?  Surely maintaining that would have a terrible effect on your self esteem as well as being rather boring and draining on your personal resources... .
Indigo Sky

Relationship status: End of March 2013 she tried to have me charged with assault so she could benefit from it financially and then have me deported. Just about everyone has told me if I go back to her city most likely I will run into personal danger.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »

Excerpt
I don't mean this in a moral way, but what could possibly be any good about being a friend to someone who isn't a friend of yours?

The point I was trying to make was that you could be "friends" with your ex BPD partner. The ex BPD partner may feel they are friends with you but they treat all relationships the same.

Why would it have a terrible effect on your self esteem?

I dont think it would be boring or a drain.

Look at how many "friendships" people have with people who are not BPD... .many of them are far from perfect... .

BrienBear

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: no longer together

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »

My exBPDbf liked to fancy himself that we'd be great friends, etc etc etc. And I told him that maybe we would but... .No. Well after he recently moved out, I was like "hell no hell no hell no." I'm too angry anyway. The sight of him makes my blood boil, to think of what he's done to me and to think of how much I've been used.

I hope that goes away so I can just "move on" with my life. We'll see... .But anyway, no, I couldn't be friends with mine.

Well that and I dont think I could deal with the whole everything-is-everyone-else's-problem bullhit_.
StillChasing

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »

I'm friends with a few of my exes.  Good ones, without any latent emotional badness lying in wait to ruin things.  So early into the game with my XBPGF -- after our first break-up and before I heard about BPD (nevertheless realized she fit 7 of the 9 criteria) -- I tried to be just friends with her.

We were hanging out with mutual friends, and she was apparently bothered that I was NOT trying to make the moves on her.  So she started making the moves on me; slowly, but with increasing intensity.  Before the party was over, she was literally on top of me.  Our friends left pretty much knowing that if they hadn't left when they did, we were just going to excuse ourselves anyway. 

Next thing I knew, we were in a relationship again.  She loved me.  I was the hottest guy she ever met.  Etc.  And then she dumped me again.  And then we tried the friends thing.  And then the sexual attraction kicked in again.  And so on.  I write it casually now, but only because I'm too exhausted to be anything other than apathetic.

And now?  She just married some abusive scumbag, so I'm done.  Chances are that I'll never hear from her again.  If I do?  My resolve has wavered before, but at this point, I don't think she and I will ever talk again.  A real shame.  I wanted to marry her and raise a family with her.  And now I'm blocking her e-mails.

I definately think you can't be friends with someone with BPD.

Amen, sister.
tinkerbellz

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

tried it too... .doesn't work... .soon it was back to asking for sex or money or whatever from me and STILL not taking any responsibility for what went wrong. Have to admit I did fall for the sex re-engagement once... .*sigh* ... .luckily was able to keep my sanity after.

Now I know that I have indeed finally let go and friendship would just keep rubbing the wound raw and I'd never heal. I even told her that. She needs to move on and so do I.

my heart feels lighter already. Smiling (click to insert in post)

unknown

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »

be friends with an exBPD... .hmm.

all the abuse and blame but no sex... .

ill pass.
Beast98

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »

Mine has tried to pull the 'lets be friends' card a number of times. My answer is always the same... .You can't have a friend because you can't be a friend.

I can be cordial, yes. I've even helped her out from time to time. But that's because I'm a somewhat selfless person and care about her, regardless of her evil deeds. It's NOT because I consider her to be a friend. Just not possible.
anker

Relationship status: in a good relationship now with a kind fellow

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »

My friends treat me with care and respect. They interact with compassion and talk to me about their own feelings freely.

to my friends, I am more than a way to make someone else jealous. More than a crutch. More than a sex toy.

Friendship is not what he and I would have.

I have disordered people in my life that I am friends with. Care about. But with someone with BPD the fact that you have ever been intimate makes real friendship impossible.
lieslieslies

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »

You can be a friend to them!

All relations with a BPD is one way.

But being a friend to them is possible. You have to have great boundaries in place and no thoughts of being anything else but a friend. The moment you cross over from being just a friend to them to even thinking about restarting the relationship, your right back where you started from... .

Being a friend to them also means you take for granted that their lies and manipulation is part of who they are.

If you have any emotional attachment to them, I would suggest NC. I remember when just hearing her voice on the phone sent me into a tizzy, same thing happened with texting.

hi fb,

as always, so well discribed, but I had it, as you know, from that I said no to fs after

I went and then we went back on r/c again. can you "explain" the retarded way of this as it feels like so chilsish to go from relation to friends and as soon as sex is on the schedule they think we are a pair again. happened to me in an earlier re-engagement where after act she said "great, then we had that done... .2 ? "  so cracy just like thats the whole point... .so... .

3L
ShredHead82

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 02:04:52 AM »

The sad thing is- there is no truth, no validity to anything they say- and where there is no truth- there is nothing. There never was a friendship, relationship, anything of any kind- the non is is just a floating random thought in their head- sometimes an obsession, sometimes nonexistant. I have enemies I have better relationships with- at least it's consistent. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Im.okay.now
Formerly Whataride

Relationship status: In a great relationship with someone who isn't nuts !

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 03:18:26 AM »

My ex was the same to her friends as she was to a romantic partner. Who needs it ?

And why on earth would anyone want to be friendly to anyone that has done dastardly deeds to them is beyond my comprehension ? Civil yes if they happened to find themselves in the same room but friendly ... .NO WAY !

I might have felt differently when i was still walking through the fog but that's how i see it today.

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 04:49:27 AM »

Brrrnnnng! Brrrrrrrng! (phone rings)

BPD ex answers: Hello? Oh Hi Butterfly!

New Squeeze: Who's that?

BPD ex: It's Butterfly.

New Squeeze: What does she want?

BPD ex: She's just a friend.

New Squeeze: Um, She was more than a friend, right?

BPD ex: We broke up.

New Squeeze: So, why does she keep calling here?

BPD ex: We're just friends... .

New Squeeze: Are you telling her stuff about me?

BPD ex: of course not.

New Squeeze: Well, how would you like it if I kept talking to my ex boyfriend?

BPD ex: Go ahead.

New Squeeze: Fine! I'll call him right now!

(And you can see where this is headed.) 

Unfortunately, when romantic relationships dissolve, the friendship that remains between a Man and a Woman needs rules and well defined boundaries.

Without well defined boundaries- lines can be crossed if one or the other person feels lonely and reaches out for comfort and soothing.  Too often people become vulnerable and cross a line and unfortunately everybody gets hurt in a triangulated relationship.

Grieve the relationship. Let it go. Otherwise you will torture yourself waiting for the phone to ring or wondering if you can call or not. It's not a friendship - it's a habit.  You've got to kick the habit.

Learning to self-soothe is the most important life skills we can accomplish and that means turning away from former lovers as friends. When we feel the need to get a confirmation that we are ok from someone, sometimes it better to just look in the mirror and tell yourself you'll be ok.  Take a hot shower or bath, play some music, read a book. The feelings will pass.  Sometimes its all we can do to just wish our former friends well and leave it at that.  Soon there will be new friends to call.

C12P21

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »

Excerpt
Learning to self-soothe is the most important life skills we can accomplish and that means turning away from former lovers as friends. When we feel the need to get a confirmation that we are ok from someone, sometimes it better to just look in the mirror and tell yourself you'll be ok.  Take a hot shower or bath, play some music, read a book. The feelings will pass.  Sometimes its all we can do to just wish our former friends well and leave it at that.  Soon there will be new friends to call.

This is very true. The feelings are very overwhelming in the beginning but practising these skills helps and knowing that eventually they will go away, it just takes practise, faith, and time. And a therapist for perspective and support   helps during the dark times.

Affirmations written and posted around the house helps to reinforce that you will be okay.

My exNPDbf wants to be friends, my answer to him was this-  a part of me would be honored to be your friend as I remember the aspects of your personality I enjoyed, the reality is you suffer from a disorder. You will probably not seek professional help and will continue this pattern for the rest of your life. As a friend, I could not pretend that it doesn't hurt me to watch you sabatoge yourself and others as you work through unresolved childhood pain. The situation is hopeless, my relationship with you wouldn't be genuine and I wouldn't respect myself for having a shallow relationship. It would bother me to listen to your lies and manipulation so no, I cannot be your friend, please stay away from me and do not contact me.  I love me way more than I love you.

It hurt like heck to write those words and repeat them every time he contacts me because I know it really is over and the end. But each time, it hurts less.
Dorian

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »

No, absolutely not.

After the relationship ended the FOG started to lift and I began to see what kind of person she really is.  A selfish, lying, manipulative and desperate loser with addiction demons. 

She kept asking me to be friends for the first month after she left me.  I could sense that it was only to absolve her guilt (if she is capable of it) and repair her social image with friends and family ("Oh xxx, he's fine. We had coffee and it's all cool between us.".

Here's how our final phone conversation started off:

Her: "how are you doing?"

Me: "I could be better."

Her: "I'm glad to hear that. I knew you'd be ok."

Me: "I said I'm not doing well.  I'm not doing ok."

Her: "Look, I said I'm sorry. Things happen. I fell in love with someone else. It DOES happen you know. It's pretty tragic really, I'm going to write a novel about it."

Me: "I don't want to be in your novel."

Her: "Fine, I'll leave you out of it.  You know I'm doing so good. I've never been better... ."

squaredots

Relationship status: Divorced 2005. Met BPGF2006.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »

That chimes with my experience totally. Mine wanted to convert our relationship to 'just friends' in order to keep me in the system. I triggered her rage so frequently and intensely, but she didn't want to lose me completely... ' I can't think of anyone else I would rather do X with . . .'.

This was billed as 'a way ahead'. To me it felt like a deeply manipulative head fry - as if I was invited to a ring side seat where I could watch her have her cake and eat it. Of course I was accused of being very controlling when I suggested this was a 'loaded' situation. She said 'No it's not, we're just friends' . . .  after several years of this on off style relationship, talks of marriage etc.

To her the being friends part is a way of changing her mind set, in other words, as in all BP manouvres, she's rearranging the furniture in her head. Iit has very little to do with relationship or real world objects and events and takes no account of the reality that the other may be experiencing in their emotional world. People are just actors in the great BP drama. All that's happening is you get recast into a role in which they think they can handle or control you.

In one practical sense, she is precisely right, but her solution neatly places the blame on me for triggering her, and avoids the whole BP issue. Quite a neat side step and one in which she hopes to achieve a perfect working solution to her conflicting needs. Sadly I have declined to take up my part, hence precipitating further ruction and anger . . .

Butterfly03

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »

What is it about all of our exBPD's? Thay all seem want to be "friends" and hold onto us after we bust up with them. So they can abuse us, lie to us, manipulate us, control us and then absolutely hurt us with their unemotional ways of finding someone else then they turn around and expect us to be friends? It just doesn't make sense to me... .

Butterfly
Dorian

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »

Excerpt
This was billed as 'a way ahead'. To me it felt like a deeply manipulative head fry - as if I was invited to a ring side seat where I could watch her have her cake and eat it.

Yes, I felt the same way.

Excerpt
To her the being friends part is a way of changing her mind set, in other words, as in all BP manouvres, she's rearranging the furniture in her head. Iit has very little to do with relationship or real world objects and events and takes no account of the reality that the other may be experiencing in their emotional world. People are just actors in the great BP drama. All that's happening is you get recast into a role in which they think they can handle or control you.

squaredots, you've nailed it.  We are but actors on their stage. It's the narcissism.

Excerpt
What is it about all of our exBPD's? Thay all seem want to be "friends" and hold onto us after we bust up with them. So they can abuse us, lie to us, manipulate us, control us and then absolutely hurt us with their unemotional ways of finding someone else then they turn around and expect us to be friends? It just doesn't make sense to me... .

Butterfly,

There is so much of my exBPD's behavior that I can't understand.  For some things, I've found it's best to just file it away under "things mentally ill people say and do."  Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. 

sarah1234

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »

he is trying to force me to be some sort of friend with him, but to me it just feels like it would be a green light to behave like that all over again. He also wants us to be sex friends  

We tried being friends for a short while, as before I really knew about BPD I thought it was the nice thing to do. I like to be friends with  people. You dont have to call your friends every day, or see them every weekend do you? Well yes, with someone with BPD you are expected to? It just made things worse. He would start his cycle of Thursdays nagging about what my plans were, and then spend all weekend trying to totally ruin my plans with friends that I was having sex with someone else.

Even if I was, he was only my friend so so fricking what?  

Friends are meant to be FRIENDLY and like you!

this would be a typical convo between us as 'friends'

Him: are you ok? I haven't heard from you for ages (probably about 1 day)

Me: yes I am working, busy with kids I am fine. Are you ok then?

Him: What are you doing this weekend

Me: I have plans with friend &&&& and stuff around the house (female)

Him: well I thought we could go for dinner and talk

Me: Dinner? why? well I have plans sorry

Him: I miss you, thought we were friends. Why can't we meet and talk?

Him: I know you have met someone else, why can't you just tell me?

Him: If you have met someone else just tell me. Its not fair. You know I still love you. You are my best friend and I can't believe everything has gone wrong and you wont even meet me for dinner

HIm: this is your fault as well that everything has gone wrong. You mess with my head. I would not have done those things if you hadn't messed with my head. Why do you hate me so much? pls reply

Me: *blah blah blah blah trying to reason with all that hit_*

Him: If you were not such a flirt I would trust you. You was always flirting with people. You didn't even have it on facebook that you was in a relationship the whole time we were together!

Me:  WE ARE NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP NOW THOUGH?

Him: *silence until later when he decides to ruin my weekend further*
Hannahbanana

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »

C

Smiling (click to insert in post)  i can't get rid of this visual now!

This is something i am actually trying (not the toilet plunger thing... the friends thing) because he requested it when he contacted me in January.  It is becoming more and more obvious to me that it is not going to work, at all!  We have already had an argument and 5 times or more, he has accused me of writing quotes in my profile aimed at him, threatened me with "maybe we shouldn't speak any more" x 3, and told me i am nasty x 2.  All since Jan 27th and i am still walking on eggshells speaking to him.

sarah1234

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »

I dont see how it can work. The one time I did allow him to take me out for dinner as 'friends', I ended up paying for it and he got really drunk

When I stood up for myself and put down some boundaries and went NC he went off the deep end. turned up at my house middle of the night, calling me over and over and over.

I make a little wish every night now that he has met the new girl. It has now been a few days with no attempted contact from him. The longest in a long while. We have been broken up for 6 months or so!
goldenblunder

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, working on the divorce

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »

No, absolutely not.

After the relationship ended the FOG started to lift and I began to see what kind of person she really is.  A selfish, lying, manipulative and desperate loser with addiction demons. 

She kept asking me to be friends for the first month after she left me.  I could sense that it was only to absolve her guilt (if she is capable of it) and repair her social image with friends and family ("Oh xxx, he's fine. We had coffee and it's all cool between us.".

Here's how our final phone conversation started off:

Her: "how are you doing?"

Me: "I could be better."

Her: "I'm glad to hear that. I knew you'd be ok."

Me: "I said I'm not doing well.  I'm not doing ok."

Her: "Look, I said I'm sorry. Things happen. I fell in love with someone else. It DOES happen you know. It's pretty tragic really, I'm going to write a novel about it."

Me: "I don't want to be in your novel."

Her: "Fine, I'll leave you out of it.  You know I'm doing so good. I've never been better... ."

Wow, mine says she's writing a book, too.  This is the second post about yours that sounds EXACTLY like mine.
unknown

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »

she was one of my best friends before we started dating. its been a year, and i can tell you i would NEVER want to be her friend again after what ive seen and how ive been treated.
Dorian

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

goldenblunder,

Did yours think of herself as a writer?  Mine was obsessed with being a writer but had never gotten anything published.  I really tried to like her writing and I was even convinced I did like some of it while we were together.  I always tried to encourage her to follow her dreams and submit to contests and magazines, etc, to get published.  But a lot of her writing was, quite frankly, pretty awful.  She was always working on a book or story but would drop it and switch to something else before finishing anything.
C12P21

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »

Excerpt

I think it is due to a few things, if they are narcissists then it follows the pattern. Narcissists hate being ignored, they much more enjoy getting a response and either being loved or hated by people but certainly not treated with indifference. The other pattern is holding on to their narcissistic supply, yours is no longer fresh and exciting but luke warm narcissistic supply is better than none! They can turn to you in a pinch if they need adoration and excitment.

If it is BPD, I suspect it is due to their own unresolved emotions and feelings, they know they feel something for you, or how they felt around you, but haven't the emotional stability or self awareness to understand their own feelings, motives or emotions and they aren't going to waste much time figuring it out.

That is why as much as this hurts to remain N/C and as much as I miss all the fun and him,  I know it is a dead end street. I was just a tool to him. I have to remind myself of this every day. No friendship and no contact. And it isn't because I hate him, it is because it would be like returning to an addiction. I need to heal.

ozzanoid24

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »

not even close to possible.  Ask yourself , how can you be friends with someone that treated you the way they did? How can you be friends with someone who cannot feel empathy and will only use you for themselves.  NO NO NO.  Honestly ask yourself why would you want to be friends with someone like that despite all you have read and all you know about BPD. Its not some miracle cure that they wake up someday and "all better" no more BPD.  IT doesn't work that way... .
WhyMe?

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

Butterfly, I am trying but at times the "friend" rollercoaster is more difficult than the relationship was.
Butterfly03

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »

Excerpt
I think it is due to a few things, if they are narcissists then it follows the pattern. Narcissists hate being ignored, they much more enjoy getting a response and either being loved or hated by people but certainly not treated with indifference. The other pattern is holding on to their narcissistic supply, yours is no longer fresh and exciting but luke warm narcissistic supply is better than none! They can turn to you in a pinch if they need adoration and excitment.

If it is BPD, I suspect it is due to their own unresolved emotions and feelings, they know they feel something for you, or how they felt around you, but haven't the emotional stability or self awareness to understand their own feelings, motives or emotions and they aren't going to waste much time figuring it out.

That is why as much as this hurts to remain N/C and as much as I miss all the fun and him,  I know it is a dead end street. I was just a tool to him. I have to remind myself of this every day. No friendship and no contact. And it isn't because I hate him, it is because it would be like returning to an addiction. I need to heal.

I know my ex is definately BPD I am not quite sure bout narcissist, though there have been instances where he has come across that way. The very last message I ever received from my ex read like this;

"Thanks for everything like not helping me out not being my friend not picking up your phone when I've been calling not giving me my dvd when you got your gifts. Thanks again ****** (my name)"

What is the go with that?... .was he just trying to get a rise out of me or desperately trying to hold on to what was left in his way? Any ideas... .

Butterfly
C12P21

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 01:25:22 AM »

Butterfly,

It seems more like BPD than Naricissim. NPD usually wouldn't "lower" themselves to an emotional outburst as they view emotions as beneath them. No matter what the disorder, what a crock after all he has put you through. He is trying to get a reaction from you... .

Stay strong and to the course, you deserve better.

C
Butterfly03

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »

Thanks for your reply C12P21,

I never replied to that message the police rang him instead to tell him to leave me alone... .was he trying to get me to go off or was he trying to get me to blurt out all my feelings for him? What do you think?

Butterfly
goldenblunder

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living apart, working on the divorce

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »

goldenblunder,

Did yours think of herself as a writer?  Mine was obsessed with being a writer but had never gotten anything published.  I really tried to like her writing and I was even convinced I did like some of it while we were together.  I always tried to encourage her to follow her dreams and submit to contests and magazines, etc, to get published.  But a lot of her writing was, quite frankly, pretty awful.  She was always working on a book or story but would drop it and switch to something else before finishing anything.

She would talk about it, and I think she would work on writing once in a while, but it was more about her obsession about writing about how interesting/messed up her life is.  Her dad would always encourage her because of all the crazy stories she has to tell.  I'll admit it isn't boring stuff.

But yeah, she never really finished anything that I got to read.  The last I have heard of this on and off project was just last week, when she mentioned it again.  I do think that it has something to do with her efforts to avoid responsibility by attributing all of the chaos in her life to external factors.
squaredots

Relationship status: Divorced 2005. Met BPGF2006.

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »

The thing that gets me about the 'friends' bit is that it all sounds so reasonable on the face of it. You will inevitably be made to look like an unreasonable idiot for turning away. What is being offered is to keep the good bits of the friendship, but BPD is by nature an engulfing condition. Friends, family, pets - no one is spared. Being a 'friend' will not spare you the rage and you will inevitably be split bad or seduced and discarded - again . . .
Valentine09

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »

goldenblunder,

OMG, This is freakin' incredible!  Thank you for writing this. My exBPDgf was adamant that she was a writer and that her poetry was out of this world.  She even has it on her myspace page that she LOVES TO WRITE.  But you're absolutely correct in that it's mostly all awful.  The only thing she writes really are text messages.   She has made it a point in arguments to tell me that she's a writer after I tried correcting her speech.  This is very validating to hear this, and is further proof that she is BPD.  

I never got to read it, but she told me she once wrote a poem about abortion for school, and it didn't go over very well.  I can only guess what she wrote was quite off the wall.  She seemed to have a lot of projects that were unfinished as well.  Writing for Hallmark was one of her dreams and she said she could do way better work than they are producing.  I told her to send them some of her poems and she made up some excuse about how she couldn't do it.  I even told her it would be fun to write a children's book together and she wouldn't take me up on it.

She also fancied herself as an artist.  She had the nerve to tell me once I wasn't artistic, and I attended art school, and wrote her a song, all kinds of stuff, haha. She was good at origami, but mostly she just did typical crafts stuff with magic markers, glitter and Elmer's glue. I wonder why they are obsessed with calling themselves writers/artists?  
C12P21

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »

Excerpt
Thanks for your reply C12P21,

I never replied to that message the police rang him instead to tell him to leave me alone... .was he trying to get me to go off or was he trying to get me to blurt out all my feelings for him? What do you think?

I think he was just trying to get some reaction from you, some response. I suspect he wouldn't care if it were positive or negative, just the satisfaction of knowing you responded and he is still a  PD traits in your head.

They despise being ignored but are incapable of resolution hence it is a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation. You know your feelings, your thoughts and your behaviors, they don't.

C
PennMicheleG

Relationship status: Living apart

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »

My BPD husband and I have been separated for a year.  We have a daughter (18) at home.  When we first split we were both quite nasty and it was hurting our daughter.  We called a truce and agreed on a friendship.  I was naive and assumed the term "friendship" meant the same to both of us.  Anytime I relied on him as a "friend" it always came back to bite me in the butt.  Everything with him had a price and I grew tired of selling out.  Thinking back though I don't believe it was friendship I desired from him, just an end to the hostilities.  I can't go NC because of our daughter, so I have to keep the hostilities at bay by being his friend; although I cannot trust him to be a friend to me.  Very one sided, but that's nothing new  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Let's face it, if our exBPDs were capable of mutual friendship they wouldn't be our exes.
C12P21

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 01:35:05 AM »

Excerpt
My BPD husband and I have been separated for a year.  We have a daughter (18) at home.  When we first split we were both quite nasty and it was hurting our daughter.  We called a truce and agreed on a friendship.  I was naive and assumed the term "friendship" meant the same to both of us.  Anytime I relied on him as a "friend" it always came back to bite me in the butt.  Everything with him had a price and I grew tired of selling out.  Thinking back though I don't believe it was friendship I desired from him, just an end to the hostilities.  I can't go NC because of our daughter, so I have to keep the hostilities at bay by being his friend; although I cannot trust him to be a friend to me.  Very one sided, but that's nothing new 

Let's face it, if our exBPDs were capable of mutual friendship they wouldn't be our exes.

Very true, I am in a similar situation with my exBPDh, I have to work on being polite and civil due to our children, it is exhausting at times. Take care.

C
rek

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »

YOU ARE GOOD AT THIS! I never write in all caps, but hell do you seem firmly planted on the sanity track.  Sure, I think I'm on it too, but then find myself looking up at the last minute only to get nearly get smacked again.  I don't know how it works that I am sure I'm on the right track, then round the corner here that hit_ train comes.  Sht.  And it repeats over and over.  But you, you are good.  You're like, yeah, I'm just gonna stand on this track casue it's the right track. When a train comes down this track, it's because it's  going to stop and let me get on to somewhere new.
KMTTP

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2010, 07:53:58 PM »

IDK... .would it make a difference if it were female/female instead of male/female?   I think that most times, when the relationship is most intimate... .is when the 'BPD behavior' so to speak comes out most.  I can't rule out friendship... .as friends, it would be easier to set boundaries than being in an intimate relationship.  Again... .IDK.   It is not something I am even contemplating now anyway... .way to soon for me.  It's gonna take years at the rate I am going!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
jalk

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »

Absolutely not! She is liar and a cheat! How could I be friends with that? She wanted to... .but not me. I knew better. She has no boundries.

Valentine09

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »

I've never been able to separate my romantic feelings for her (no matter how despicable she is)  to the point where I can only see her as a friend.  The only way to do this is if I never see her face.  Then, it's like being friends with a ghost, or one of those foreign pen-pals they'd have you write to in school.  That's not what I consider a friend, it's what I'd consider an acquaintance.  If I wanted that kind of relationship I'd get on chatroulette.com  and talk with strangers all night, and probably have a more satisfying conversation.  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest