Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think my dad has BPD  (Read 449 times)
chacha68
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: March 03, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »

I am 47, my dad left us at 3 but we have stayed in each other's lives in various ways for better or worse. He had a rough childhood and exhibits  most of the BPD symptoms which as the eldest of a brood of half-siblings I have dealt with the longest. We are also closer then he is with the other kids for various reasons. As the eldest I have seem him misbehave and mistreat his wives and children etc for decades and intervene where and when I can from close or far but never to any real productive end overall. I have become exhausted with trying to maintain this relationship in any form and when he recently self-diagnosed with aspergers i just wanted to tell him dad no i think its BPD but am worried it will start WW3 and a series of text assaults that will last for weeks that i dont want to deal with. Right now I am in an ignoring phase which is easy as we live 3000 miles away and the only thing i feel like I have left to say to him his that I think he needs help. Anyone have any experience with telling someone they think they need to get properly diagnosed?
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »

Hi chacha68,

Generally, telling someone they may have BPD doesn't go over well. Even when my Ex self-diagnosed with some unnamed "attachment disorder," I didn't offer my suspicion.

Your dad, however, is your relative, unlike my Ex. That's a different dynamic. It may be worth pursing why he thinks he has what he thinks he has. It can be co-morbid, and BPD usually isn't the only illness. An old family friend has BPD, c-PTSD, GAD, Depression... .; my mom has BPD, depression, PTSD (whose symptoms can be similar to BPD).

The validation tools here can work on anyone. If you can validate his feelings, he may open up. It's probably good to question what you are getting out of this though, just for your own emotional benefit. Answers for yourself, help for him, a better relationship, all of these?

This might help:

PERSPECTIVES: Telling someone that you think they have BPD

If your dad is introspective enough to think that he has "something" then that's a chink in the armor. It's hopeful, but that may all it remains. Distance certainly makes this harder, but it also sounds like it keeps you more safe as well.

Welcome

Turkish

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:39:07 PM »

Chacha68,

I'd like to join in and welcome you to our online family!    You've come to a great site where there are many others just like you, exhausted from the struggle with the BPD in their life. It is super tough to hang in there with them. It's some help that you live far away, but the phone calls can get tough, can't they?  I remember so well those calls with my uBPDm over the years. If I got off the phone and said, "Well, that was a good conversation," it was as if the earth moved off it's axis! 

Along with Turkish, I agree that often BPD doesn't exist on its own. Have you ever read any books about BPD? One very helpful book titled "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me" has a good chart that illustrates many of the additional disorders that are along the 'border' of this PD. My uBPDm showed many other disorders including ADHD, PTSD, eating disorders and a gambling addiction.

I'm very sorry that you are having to deal with this in your dad. It is challenging for anyone to handle. 

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest