Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: victim or volunteer  (Read 390 times)
bpdfamfan

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: December 08, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »

I was reading some reviews on a book about a lady that was married to a psychopath.

Many of the reviews were positive & sympathetic, but there were other reviews that really stood out to me & left me wishing I had such valuable insight in my dealings with people.

They said she refused to see reality, wouldn't take responsibility, ignored red flags, covered for him yet enjoyed the perks of his illegal activities, etc.

full reviews here

www.amazon.com/Dance-Devil-Story-Marriage-Psychopath/product-reviews/0425221180/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I guess I just wanted to discuss how we can get better at noticing the Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)  

When do we finally stop making excuses for others (sig. other, parents, siblings, older children) & take care of ourselves?

cross-posting on coping with family member board, my usual hangout 

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:37:03 AM »

Excerpt
how we can get better at noticing thered-flag

I haven't read this book but use my own journey as a yardstick to measure by. Books like these are really about denial and the coming to terms with it. I often think that people dont know what abuse is and later, with time and distance come away with a "what was I thinking?" conundrum. Then it's important to decipher exactly what the thought processes are in order to learn a little bit about yourself in therapy. When you come to terms with it, you can help others, especially others who are also in denial.

There are a myriad of stories about women who attach themselves to their own faulty perceptions of what they think benefits them. Are they victims? (Only of their own behavior.) Labeling themselves as victims and others as psychopaths may be a way to gain and lose power. The original attachment to the "psycho" was based on power and when the failure of the attachment became undeniable- a "split" was needed to get away from the host. But labeling someone a psychopath may be a way to refuse to see their part in it. It may be a way to deny faulty perceptions. After all, the more psychopathic the partner is, the less responsibility the other partner has for their part in the relationship.

Follow the reward. Follow the denial. In object relations therapy they will tell you to follow the reward and see where it leads you- especially in the form of payoffs and giveaways.  So many women become victims of scams and love fraud. But a 14 year marriage? That's 14 years of managed perception and denial. Sometimes this enabling takes the form of control over not being abandoned.  The reward is to attach to the power source, but failing to see that they still have very little real power of their own. Once a book like this is published, it gives power back, but in the form of inverted narcissism- that is, the victimized victim of a malignant narcissist is her new identity- so she is still attached.

If you are going to read books about psychopaths- try "The Mask of Sanity" by Cleckley. Even though it was written in 1941, it gives a good description of a person without conscience. It doesn't take long to see that most of the time these people are not easily spotted and they freely walk among us- but they rely on others to keep coming back for more. Denial is one of the first and easiest mechanisms to manipulate.  Just follow the reward- and that includes both parties.

www.cassiopaea.org/cass/sanity_1.PdF
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest