Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 26, 2017, 12:18:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
BPD Relationships: statistics Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: gotbushels, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) treatment Omega 3 fish oil EPA  (Read 25966 times)
SadOne

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »

My husband has been taking 1000 mg of Fish Oil daily (for overall health) for a couple years now and I have not seen any improvement in his behavior or anger.  How much of it did the study recommend?

Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »

My husband has been taking 1000 mg of Fish Oil daily (for overall health) for a couple years now and I have not seen any improvement in his behavior or anger.  How much of it did the study recommend?

From my unprofessional review of the literature, it really seems like the fish oil EPA is what improves the mental state.  Anywhere from 1 gram up to 4 and even 8 grams of EPA.  DHA is apparently better for other health concerns but again its EPA which appears to improve mental state.  Look for fish oil with a very high epa to dha ratio.   
serenitygone

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »

Unprofessional opinion here...

We all take fish oil supplements in my home.  Even the toddlers.  DHA/EPA is important to developing brains, old brains, etc.

I've seen no lessoning of BPDd symptoms though  cry

She willingly takes her supplements so we'll see if over time along with the other treatmnets help.
Annaleigh

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »

Maybe it's keeping them from getting worse.  shocked  I know I can feel kind of draggish when I forget to take it or run out.
WalrusGumboot

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »

One thing we should remember is that studies using brain scans of those with BPD shows abnormalities in that they do not use parts of the brain that healthy people do to regulate emotions. I think we need to be realistic about how much benefit they will receive from nutritional supplements alone.

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

One thing we should remember is that studies using brain scans of those with BPD shows abnormalities in that they do not use parts of the brain that healthy people do to regulate emotions. I think we need to be realistic about how much benefit they will receive from nutritional supplements alone.

I agree that we need to be realistic.  What gives me hope though is that brain scans and other tests do show biological differences, which suggests to me that supplements and/or medicine can in fact have an affect on the disorder.  Do I think fish oil is a cure all for BPD?  No way.  But if fish oil can reduce the symptoms by at least a noticeable amount, I would be one happy camper!
WalrusGumboot

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:06:11 PM »

But if fish oil can reduce the symptoms by at least a noticeable amount, I would be one happy camper!

I am in complete agreement. I think a lot of things, including poor nutrition, can make an already bad thing even worse. Those with BPD are hypersensitive, and I think we become hypersensitive to their hypersensitivity, and any improvement in them, no matter how small, will not go without us noticing.

WG

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »

During her pregnancy it was discovered my wife has hypothyroidism.  She know takes synthetic thyroid.  I read one article indicating that hypothyroidism is found in BPD persons at a much higher rate then in the general population.  Today, my wife was also diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency and will go on Vitamin D supplements soon.  My initial research indicates a vitamin D deficiency can also result in depression. 

I'm obviously not a DR., but it is clear BPD persons suffer from certain biological deficiencies (differences?). If these supplements can address some of her biological deficiencies and reduce her mental disorder symptoms, I will be so so grateful.
Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

I knew it was too good to be true. Yesterday my wife told me that I am too controlling.  When I asked her to clarify she stated that "I am forcing her to take "drugs".  I said what drugs?  Her reply: fish oil and vitamin D.  My reply: your doctor prescribed you vitamin d because you have a deficiency and I encouraged you to take fish oil becausae every study conducted on fish oil declares how healthy it is in many different respects.  Her reply: Your not a doctor, if you want to tell me what to do go to medical school first.  My reply "um okay, talk to your doctor then".

Of course this is after approximately 30 straight days of her talking her the vitamins in question and thanking me for looking out for her health.  Better still, after the above conversation occurred around dinner time, I then was rewarded with a great bedtime dicusssion of how disgusting my family is and how I always put them first and her last.  

Conclusion:  I want to say the fish oil slighlty mitigated her symptoms for the month she was taking it but obvioulsy after only month it did not prevent a full blown dysregulation.
hotapollo

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »

thank you lost,

I was so hopefull of the fish oil tablets...

We all are waiting for that wonder drug to cure them...that one miracle!
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD
My Parent/Sibling has BPD