Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 26, 2017, 12:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
50% rate of personality disorder in intimate partners of women with BPD Read here
Administrator: heartandwhole
Moderators: Meili, once removed
Member support team: gotbushels, Tattered Heart, Turkish, wendydarling, Woolspinner2000
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) treatment Omega 3 fish oil EPA  (Read 25964 times)
motherof1yearold

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »

Interesting! My ex BPD would take fish oil daily for general health but I don't think it toned down his crazy at all.

And yes, I use fish oil daily as well for baby's health when I  breastfeed

SeaCliff

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

Yes, Omega IIIs are akin to "oil" for the brain just like how important oil is for a car's engine. The brain is made up of 2/3s fat so healthy fats like Omega IIIs, raw virgin Coconut Oil, Walnuts, and Avacados are exceptional brain foods.

At a deeper core, our brains are potentially made up of 90% water so we all need to drink lots of healthy, pure, clean water too. Sadly, most Americans are chronically dehydrated which leads to depression, pain, anxiety, allergies, asthma, and chronic fatigue.

Dehydration leads to inflammation which then leads to various types of chronic illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease too.

Quotes from a Natural News article (dated: Jan. 2, 2006 Author: Alexis Black):

"The omega-3 fatty acid known as docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an important ingredient for optimal brain function. Earl Mindell, RPh PhD, writes in Earl Mindell's Supplement Bible, “There's a reason why fish is known as brain food. It is a rich source of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a fatty acid that is found in high concentration in the gray matter of the brain. DHA is instrumental in the function of brain cell membranes, which are important for the transmission of brain signals.”

By making cell membranes more fluid, omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA, improve communication between the brain cells, according to Mind Boosters author Dr. Ray Sahelia. As a result, lack of omega-3 in the body can cause a communication breakdown in the brain, which is probably the last place you'd want such a breakdown to happen.

Omega-3 fatty acids are so important to the development and proper maintenance of the brain that “some scientists even postulate that it was the ingestion of omega-3 EFAs that allowed the brain to evolve to the next stage in human development,” according to Superfoods Rx authors Steven G. Pratt and Kathy Matthews.

Omega-3 deficiencies in adults have been linked to various mental and emotional disorders. In fact, “some doctors even think the epidemic amounts of mental illness in modern societies can be traced back to the omega imbalance in the food supply,” according to Eat and Heal, by the Editors of FC&A Medical Publishing.

Low levels of DHA have been linked to memory loss, depression, bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder, schizophrenia, autism and general learning difficulties or bad moods. “If you don't feed brain cell membranes enough of the right type of fat, the messages can be short-circuited and garbled.

That may mean a disturbance in mood, concentration, memory, attention, and behavior,” writes Miracle Cures author Jean Carper. Depression in particular has been frequently linked to low levels of DHA, since omega-3 fatty acids help regulate mood by increasing levels of serotonin, the hormone that relieves depression."

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:59:43 PM by SeaCliff » Logged
lbjnltx
SITE MODERATOR

Person in your life: Child

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »

According to the recently published National Health and Medical Research Council. Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Borderline Personality Disorder.  Melbourne: National Health and Medical Research Council; 2012.  Omega 3 Fatty Acids were associated with a possible reduction in depressive symptoms in people with BPD based on 2 randomized clinical trials.

www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/mh25_borderline_personality_guideline.pdf

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
babyducks

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

I can't speak to Omega 3 for BPD but I take it for my depression and have noticed a marked but small improvement.  Hey I will take what I can get.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Person in your life: Parent

Author of the 'Essential Family Guide to BPD"

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »

Research backs up the claim that fish oil is good for mental healthBut I don't know how you could isolate that as a reason for improvement with so many variables.
motherof1yearold

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »

Research backs up the claim that fish oil is good for mental health

But I don't know how you could isolate that as a reason for improvement with so many variables.

Thanks Randi, I believe in fish oil for overall general health but from what I've seen it has only given slight improvements in people with BPD or bi polar disorder. (I'm a non and I take it for overall health and for brain development of my nursing child)
WalrusGumboot

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

If BPD is faulty hard-wiring of the brain and not chemical imbalance, as evidence suggests, then I cannot see how it can make a significant difference.

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
lbjnltx
SITE MODERATOR

Person in your life: Child

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »

Any positive actions to level the field for potential gain is worth taking. Just as there are no medications to treat BPD there are medications that can address symptomology...   like antidepressants and antipsychotics that are beneficial for some.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Omega Fatty Acids cure BPD or even depression...   they do however contribute to healthy brain function...   why would we or a pwBPD not take them?

In his book "BPD in Adolescents" Blaisse Aguirre strongly recommends a 1000mg per day for pwBPD...   and people without BPD.

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
SeaCliff

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

More and more health articles have been written in recent years which rave about how helpful raw, organic virgin Coconut Oil (another "good fat" like Omega IIIs) are for people who may suffer from Alzheimer's, Dementia, or other brain or memory issues.

Why do Greeks and Japanese tend to live so long? ANSWER: Greeks love their Olive Oil (another "good fat"), and Japanese love their iodine rich diets (i.e., kelp, seaweed, fish, etc.).

Why do American women tend to have thyroid problems 9 or 10 times more often than men? ANSWER: Their female hormone called estrogen tends to block the full absorption of iodine. Iodine, once again, is the primary "fuel" for a healthy thyroid.

Flaxseed Oil is a great source for Omega IIIs as well along with DHA (algae & fish sources), which may be one of the best Omega III sources. Salmon and Walnuts (another great "brain food") are both excellent Omega III sources too.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:20:13 PM by SeaCliff » Logged
Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENTS
My Child has BPD