Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:34:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Parents of Girls  (Read 476 times)
Southerngal

« on: February 03, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »

Recently thought our daughter had BPD but just discovered that it is actually Level 1 ASD, formerly known as Aspergers. Wanted to post this here as I have been through so many years thinking I was dealing with BPD.  Backstory - married in late 1990s and became stepmother to a 14 year old daughter with lots of problems.  Hubby’s ex wife was deceased so I was full time “mom”. Years of problems and hell and finally a BPD diagnosis, which seemed to fit. Fast forward some years ahead. This stepdaughter had a baby, which she couldn’t care for - we adopted the baby girl and we have raised her as our daughter - even though we started out as grandparents to her. (In my state there is no such thing as permanent custody and I refused for the child to be at risk of the bio mom (my stepdaughter) trying to regain custody, for the best interest of the baby. Baby is now 14, and has been raised knowing all about her bio mom and the details. My daughter identifies as non-binary or male - it is fluid. She began having problems in 5th grade and things have intensified over the years. Her problems are almost identical to her bio moms problems. We have done 2 years of therapy (during which a possible personality disorder was mentioned) and tried various meds. School refusal got bad and school system got involved and we had to hire an advocate to help us navigate it all. Advocate mentioned Autism and I thought she was crazy. Well - she was right!  Tons of testing, both by school system and private testing and we have just been told that our daughter definitely has what was formerly known as Aspergers. The reason this was not diagnosed earlier is that females very frequently exhibit signs totally different than males and the conventional tests are all based on male traits. For many years, the experts thought females rarely if ever had Aspergers and many females were incorrectly diagnosed with personality disorders and other things. Properly diagnosing females with Aspergers (ASD) is just now beginning to get the attention of the professionals, so you really have to make sure you are dealing with a qualified psychologist for diagnosis. As Aspergers is a genetic condition, I am quite sure that this is the true cause of all of my stepdaughter’s problems also. I am now rethinking everything regarding her for the last 25 years I have known her and we are finally getting appropriate help for my daughter. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to make parents of females aware of this in case anyone else has been misdiagnosed. This board is a wonderful place. I participated in it heavily in the late 90’s and early 2000’s while dealing with my stepdaughter and found great help and compassion here. I was so grateful to see that it is still around and thriving. If anyone wants further info on what we have been through, let me know and I am happy to send you info. Praying for peace and hope for all of you here.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
AKC

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Would you be willing to describe the behaviors that you thought were BPD that ended up being autistic?
Southerngal

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 02:00:46 PM »

Hi AKC. I will be happy to try to describe behaviors that I thought were BPD that ended up being autistic. Though I don’t know what behaviors the psychologists found similar. Apparently there is a lot of overlap. Here is a link to an article that you might find helpful. https://www.autismresearchtrust.org/news/borderline-personality-disorder-or-autism

As to my personal experience, there are a few different behaviors that I attributed to BPD. I will list them, and include some notes on how I perceived things initially vs how I see things now.

Rigidity is one - very unyielding and uncompromising- my child is often determined to have her way.  This isn’t just like a spoiled child thing, it is an intense need for control of her environment. It was easy to think this was a battle for control and just trying to be difficult but in reality it goes much deeper. An example is if I went in and cleaned up her untidy room, she would get extremely angry. I now understand that change is very difficult for her to accept. She likes things exactly where she left them, even if that place might not seem logical to me. Another common battle is over having her cell phone in her room at night. Even with the WiFi disabled and screen time shut off, she still must have the phone with her even though she can’t use it at all. She has an intense need to know what is happening ahead of time. I have learned that surprises are not a good idea at all with her. I have to remind her at least a day in advance of appointments with doctor, dentist, etc or if there is any change in our usual routine. 

She will say things that sometimes seem mean and hurtful and I thought she was trying to hurt me and took things personally. After a hairstyle change, her first comment when I came home was to tell me that my hair looked horrible.  I now realize that people with ASD often have no tact and are very blunt with what they say. She wasn’t being mean, just saying what she felt, with no filter at all. This absence of tact contributes to the problems with social interaction. Also, she is very often resistant to affection. In the past, I thought she would refuse to hug me out of spite or to try to hurt my feelings.  I now understand that this is part of autism and I don’t try to get her to hug me, but I sure do enjoy the times when she feels comfortable and asks me for a hug.

Nothing seemed seriously wrong until puberty - then everything went haywire quickly. There has been self harm (cutting) in the past and she suffers from serious social anxiety. It is very often impossible to get her to get ready to do anything - mornings are always horrible in trying to get her to get dressed for school and we are always late. She is also late for things that she wants to do, like her own birthday parties. This seemed like defiance and just being difficult, but now I am learning that there is more involved in this behavior that just being difficult - it has to with ability. To think of doing more than one thing at a time throws her for a loop. Getting ready is a sequence of things - get out of bed, get dressed, put on shoes, go to bathroom, brush teeth,  brush hair, eat breakfast, get backpack and get into car. In the past, when I told her 3 chores to do, she would do one and not the others - which I interpreted as being lazy or defiant. I know understand that I can’t tell her all three things at once, but must wait until one is done to tell her another or write them in a list she can refer to.

She is always resistant to go anywhere with me and doesn’t want to come out of her room when family or friends come over. I thought she was being rude and a bit snobby, but in reality she is almost paralyzed with social anxiety. Social anxiety is also the root of her school refusal.

Gender dysphoria is another problem that is sometimes present both with females with Aspergers or BPD. This became an issue both for my stepdaughter and my daughter around the age of 13.

She is sullen, withdrawn, has very few friends, is never really happy, seems to lack empathy and sympathy, has poor impulse control and often severe and frequent mood swings. She can get furious over something that would seem insignificant to some people but then might act like nothing happened a while later.

Sorry this has gotten so long. I guess in a nutshell, I used to think that many of the things she did and said were intentional and there was an intent to cause hurt.  Now I am looking at things and realizing that many of these issues are a result of inability to understand and process things the way most people do. Understanding the reasons behind things can cause a big shift in the way we perceive them. It certainly doesn’t solve any problems and the behaviors are still hard to deal with, but I am learning that a different strategy is required to handle things.
Resiliant

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:55:30 AM »

Thank you SO much for your post, Southerngal!

I hope it will help many others.  Myself, I do have a daughter but she is a "non".   My son is the one with ASD and BPD traits, possibly some C-PTSD as well.  Who really knows.   My daughter internalized everything around the fears of her father which resulted in IBS etc., and she has done a remarkable job getting over that.

I really appreciate your posts.  One thing you said was this:
Excerpt
She will say things that sometimes seem mean and hurtful and I thought she was trying to hurt me and took things personally. After a hairstyle change, her first comment when I came home was to tell me that my hair looked horrible.  I now realize that people with ASD often have no tact and are very blunt with what they say.
   I had to laugh a little.  One thing that Aspies (what ASD adults call themselves when they know what they are) - one thing that Aspies say is that they "get in trouble for telling the truth".   You can actually find funny pics online that say "You might be an Aspie if... you get in trouble for telling the truth!"
My son used to complain about getting in trouble for telling the truth.

Unfortunately, the best time to explain to someone that they have an Aspergers diagnosis is likely during childhood.  I suppose but I am not sure.  All that I know is that I have read that it is not advised to suggest that to an adult who is close to you, similar to what they say about BPD.   In my case with my son I wish so much that I could let him know since I feel as though he would have so much less heartbreak if he knew what he was dealing with!   At the same time, coming from me he would resent it, thinking that I am using it as an excuse not to solve our problems.  So, I am leaving it as his journey to figure out.  I will drop the seeds along the way and hope one of them takes!

I am going to bring up an old thread from around 2013 that is about Aspergers and BPD.  It has really resonated with me and I feel like it should be preserved and not removed in the next "sweep".   You should see it pop up here soon.

Thanks again,

R

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest