Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice: I think I need to let her know about BPD  (Read 522 times)
trampledfoot

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« on: April 02, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »

So I am 30 days NC from my UBPD ex of 2.5 years who I think finally split me for the last time.  I need to make this the last time I am recycled. I have been debating and wanting to email her letting her know everything that her BPD has done to me. I want to put out to her that her splits, emotional, instability, and verbal and emotional abuse was not OK and that she needs help.

I am fairly set in my thinking that I have to do this in order to be able to let go of her. I still care about her and I want to let her know this that I think she needs help and let her know that her behvior is not normal and it is not my fault or her fault rather the disorder.

Has anyone tried this approach? Will this help me bring closure? Is there a way to phrase this to her in order to make it more palatable for her? Thoughts?
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »

I understand you want this closure.  Totally normal. 

99% sure this will backfire. 

Give some thought to why you need to do this maybe.

haliewa1

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:49 AM »

Simply ask yourself, why?  You will not be able to make sense of the response you receive.  There is no upside to pointing out the problem.  Move on and be thankful for life without a BPD to complicate things!
trampledfoot

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »

GreenMango

I have a few reasons

1) I truly love her and I do want her to get help.  I want her to realize what she did to me is not normal and it will happen again in her next relationship unless she doesn't get help.

2)I feel like I have never complained about anything in our relationship ever. I was never able to get mad at her because I was always catering to her ideas of what was wrong and what was right.  For once I want to have a voice

3)I want to do this because I don't think its fair that she is walking away from this feeling like; I failed her and I didn't try hard enough.  
trampledfoot

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »

Also I think some small part of me wants to shout this "hey i think you need help to her" that way 10 years down the road maybe it will echo back to her... .   I guess in typing this i just realized this is my rescuer still trying to throw her a life raft
GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »

Sometimes it takes a person being on the right spot to hear something.  I could see if she wanted to talk and you chose to be honest. 

Out of the blue after 30 days of not seeing hide nor hair from a person then all of a sudden they tell you you are mentally ill with an illness that has a huge stigma has the potential to get dismissed or worse - ugly.

nylonsquid

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:18:58 AM »

Hi Trampled!

I've had these thoughts before. I say do what you need to.

I will tell you my experience. my exBPD's ex called her a sociopath. How do I know? Because she called him that. She was projecting/denying.

My own: When I had these thoughts I wrote down EVERYTHING I had in my head so I could tell her. Turns out, writing so much of it let that energy out and I didn't need to dump it on her any more. The emotions subsided.

Every person has a different way to vent but as you admit, the rescuer mentality to help her will be rewarded with more challenges. And you know what rescuers love? A challenge. It becomes perpetual.

I would personally discard her if I knew better.
trampledfoot

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »

Green Mango:

Let me preclude this is say I am somewhat of a writer I tend to express my feelings best, most honestly, and logically when i write them out. I think its not so so much to call her out and say HEY I THINK YOU HAVE BPD.  But more so write out the issues of our relationship and direct question to some of her behaviors in our relationship. Allow her to read how these situations occur and have her figure question WHY they occur.  I guess my thinking is what is the harm in this? I am convinced that I will never get back with her unless she seeks help. I cannot do this to myself again. So is it possible she could cause me more pain?
nylonsquid

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »

So is it possible she could cause me more pain?

Yes.
trampledfoot

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:24:10 AM »

My own: When I had these thoughts I wrote down EVERYTHING I had in my head so I could tell her. Turns out, writing so much of it let that energy out and I didn't need to dump it on her any more. The emotions subsided.

This is very true for me as well I tend to help release emotion through words either just writing and writing or writing into a song lyrics or poem anything helps relieve it.  I guess my thinking is then do I send this piece of words to her? That is kind of where I am stuck
trampledfoot

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »

NylonSquid

I guess one of the worst parts of this is that I know she is not going through anything right now she has completely split me and I am nothing to her and I guess to be honest with myself I never was anything to her really, truly.  i was an obsession for the first ~8 months then I become a punching bag. 
nylonsquid

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »

NylonSquid

I guess one of the worst parts of this is that I know she is not going through anything right now she has completely split me and I am nothing to her and I guess to be honest with myself I never was anything to her really, truly.  i was an obsession for the first ~8 months then I become a punching bag. 

I'm glad you enjoyed 8 idealized months! I only got an uneven 2! Smiling (click to insert in post)

You can send it if you want but you could regret it later. At least you know the consequence. You may not hear anything from her. You say you're okay with it but the silent response may not sit well with you. And a response will probably trigger more feelings in you.

Listen up, you're opening up yourself for more abuse under the guise and rationale of caring for her. This is how you're rationalizing your actions. You want to leave on a note that is more meaningful or could be helpful. Ask yourself why are you making contact with her? Really. And why do you want to help her after what she's done to you? Maybe you need some more abuse  before you decide to stop? I know I needed it! Smiling (click to insert in post)

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:32 AM »

Green Mango:

Let me preclude this is say I am somewhat of a writer I tend to express my feelings best, most honestly, and logically when i write them out. I think its not so so much to call her out and say HEY I THINK YOU HAVE BPD.  But more so write out the issues of our relationship and direct question to some of her behaviors in our relationship. Allow her to read how these situations occur and have her figure question WHY they occur.  I guess my thinking is what is the harm in this? I am convinced that I will never get back with her unless she seeks help. I cannot do this to myself again. So is it possible she could cause me more pain?

Hey you are preaching to choir here.  I wrote an opus on my ex's behavior and accountability in preparation for the next recycle attempt and handed it over when it occured.  Nothing happened except to have my job and reputation threatened and I never said BPD once.  Futile last attempt I suppose and test to see what happens when the rubber hits the road.  Rubber never hit the road.

You wanted to know her reaction though and harm - it's going to vary quite a bit from your expectation I presume.  I'm guessing that it will get turned around and twisted, I'm guessing some impulsive emotional outbursts will happen (no one wants to hear someone thinks they are nuts - but a person with BPD any hint of judgment or rejection tends to cause problems), I'm guessing it won't spark a "moment of clarity" on her part, and I'm guessing it may cause a bunch of drama in your life.  

trampledfoot but I had an epiphany - more like a simple realization - one day when at about the spot you are at now... .   I realized the relationship was built upon the expectation that I could provide an unconditional relationship with unconditional love.  I realized I can't.  Can you?

Give some thought to what you really need in a person... .   realistic stuff - respect, fidelity, communication, and take a long hard look at the person she is right now.  Be honest - look at what happened in the relationship with clear eyes, and ask yourself if this person is truly the kind of person worth your time, effort and love... .   as is, not after treatment.

Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:42:09 AM »

Has anyone tried this approach?

I thought about it, agonised over it, cried about it, healed from it, forgot about it, detached from it and freed myself from the bind - without ever having said a word.

Will this help me bring closure?

No! She cannot give you closure - you need to find this in you trampled.

Telling a Borderline you suspect they are BPD is invalidating - for you and her. She does not have the emotional capability to deal with the fall out - this needs to be left to the professionals.

Imagine someone accusing you of having a mental illness.

Is there a way to phrase this to her in order to make it more palatable for her? Thoughts?

I suspect this may be more about you than her. I honestly believed that if I told my ex, he would admit defeat, own up, seek a diagnosis, get into DBT and we would live our dream.

The belief that they have seen the light or will see the light if only they knew... .   trampledfoot - its possible she may accuse you of having BPD.

We cannot rescue our ex's - they need to find their own truth - just as you need to find yours.

slimmiller

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 05:11:41 AM »

I told mine, twice. 

First time I really wanted to help her like you are wanting to. Second time she was 'down' and wanted me to tell her whats wrong with her (eluding to what we had talked about before) The first time she just raged 'I dont have multiple personalities' (her words) The second time, the deer in the headlights empty hollow eyed stare. Was merely an attempt on her part to engage me.

Now theres no way I will engage her and or try and help her by being that vulnerable again. Vulnerable as in opening up to her. Its her sickness and truth is, I dont really want or need her to change. I told her once if she admitted to her issues it would create the worst dilema for me.

I would then be faced with having to forgive all the offenses she has committed against me and our relationship. Plus I would be too likely to accept her back. This way she is 'his' problem my baggage
Shadowlands

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 05:46:05 AM »

Interesting thread... .  

I believe that if it is more about making yourself feel better if you do it. I did this with my ex and the ramifications were for her to change her phone number. No great shakes in the scheme of things and it certainly made me feel better and I did it in as caring a way as I could.

In the long run, when she has another episode with someone else she will remember our conversation and this may mean that she eventually gets help as on-one would forget being accused if having a mental illness, not even someone with BPD.
trampledfoot

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

I suspect this may be more about you than her. I honestly believed that if I told my ex, he would admit defeat, own up, seek a diagnosis, get into DBT and we would live our dream.

We cannot rescue our ex's - they need to find their own truth - just as you need to find yours.

thanks this is really the heart of it for me

Slimmiller i think thats where I am caught i know i cannot go on but i also have this glimmer of hope that if she changes my world will be perfect

I began writing last night just writing helped me flush a lot of emotions it was good.  My strategy is to walk through our relationship and hihglight the areas where we went from  idealization to emotional instability and show where she began breaking me down.  I dont know if i will send it but i am going to write it. 
fakename

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 03:46:24 PM »

after we broke up and while i maintained NC and she moved on, i thought a few times about sending her an email to tell her she had BPD... .   sometimes i would justify it to myself with that i love her and would help her get through it or whatever crap. (i wasn't being honest with myself, deep down i had doubts whether i would want to stick around for all that it would entail)... .   and also, if i was actually honest with myself, deep down, i felt like i had ulterior motives for wanting to tell her, what those motives were, i'm sure you can imagine them, but i think i was just letting my feelings and pain make the decisions and not my stable mind.

Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

thanks this is really the heart of it for me

It was for me too trampled and I trust for many of us.

It is painful to see someone we once cared about struggle. Its unfortunate that close relationships are in fact the trigger. Its kinder to them if we step away.

but i think i was just letting my feelings and pain make the decisions and not my stable mind.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Wimowe

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »

For me, it's been helpful to write such a letter.  I gained clarity about how I'm feeling, my reality testing, and what I want in my situation. Reviewing it with my T and others has yielded a lot of insight.  I haven't decided whether to send it. Writing the letter and sending it are separate actions, decided separately.
theboro504

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »

Silence can speak volumes to them.
Cmjo

Relationship status: Left him 2 months ago

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »

I agree with Green Mango. It is something I so much want to do. But very likely she will just throw it back at you, saying that perhaps you are delusional and need to be locked up and thatnyou were abusing her, to the extent that your torture is just prolonged, and the more you try to reason the more she will deny deny deny. I like the advice on here to write a long letter... .   then dont bother sending it. No point!

C x
wanttoknowmore

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

Trapledfoot,

I DID what you are planning to do. I texted her that I think she has BPD and she will keep suffering if  she does not get help. and that I know you will hate me for this... .   someday you will thank me for letting you know. I don't hate you and never will.

Here comes a barrage of text missiles from her ":)iagnose yourself... .   what kind of illness you have?'

"do you want me to have a restraining order? stop harassing me."

Strangely, I  felt a sense of relief by doing it thinking I have planted a seed of the idea of her having BPD and at some point she will reflect on it,,read and compare and some day she will appreciate that I took the risk and told her the truth.

I donot regret saying it to her. I know she still has some respect for me inspite of raging and screaming at  S

\THIS WAS MY TOUGH LOVE ... .   to her. I don't expect love back. I don't care if she hates me more. I did my duty as a true friend and I am happy about it.
trampledfoot

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »

All:

I appreciae the insight I plan to keep writing and see how I feel once i am done.  I am not even sure that she will read it to be honest with you I can see her trashing the letter after she gets a few sentences into it. 
fakename

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »

obviously youre free to do whatever you want, but i wanted to add a couple more thoughts from my own experience.

in the beginning i did want to tell her she had BPD, partly cause i care for her so much, and partly cause i thought it would help me manipulate things into getting back together with her, (even if it was only for a one night stand) and partly  cause i wanted to throw a bit of pain in her direction and throw her world for a whirl so she wouldnt try to be in a r/s with anyone else and partly cause who knows why.

even though i read on here that everyone who told theirs they had BPD, it ended badly, i was still craving to do it. partly cause maybe i thought she was different, partly cause i thought i needed to help her and whatever consequences would be able to be dealt with,(with me by her side) and a good portion because i was still used to making crazy/rash/desperate decisions (because i was trained to do so when i was with her)... .   i think i was more inclined to make crazy choices and just rationalize or justify them and think that they would result in a satisfactory outcome (i remember thinking how that quote the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result embodied my r/s with her) ... .   so i figure - stop trying to take care of her... . it doesnt work, and it doesnt help.

i had to fight against telling her and i think what helped was reading what one guy on here said about it not being any of his business and he'd only consider telling her or her family or her new flame if they asked for his opinion on things. otherwise he wasn't going to get involved. it wasnt his business.

also, about the long letters... .   i remember sending an especially sincere and loving one after a breakup.  i guess what i took from it is they cherish it for the moment, but the next morning it's gone. there's no point, they cant hang onto the words or anything coming from them.  maybe it has to do with object constancy or whatever, i dont know.  i just know once their needs needle starts going off the scale, nothing matters but that moment and doing what they have to, to 'survive'... .  

think about what you're dealing with. then thinking about why you are really wanting to tell her. after i went a month NC, paid focus to my own growth and learning about BPD, i was able to think clearer about these things and realized a lot.  

i dont know your whole story, and i dont know you or her, but these are my experiences and i think all BPDers have some common traits.  whatever stage of the r/s and breakups you're in, i dont know, i dont know how many recycles are left for you guys before things get even worse or for eyes to be opened or whatever.  i just think, if someone has a mental issue, they have to discover it themselves, otherwise they will get defensive and continue with outward blame (at least this is how i would react), instead i learned about my issues through my research on BPD and learning why i do what i do and act how i act and how my life has shaped me and i recognize more why i have to change and how to do so, and i'm ok with the time it takes to do so... .   if someone told me i have issues, especially if i was at a point when i wasnt ready to hear that stuff, even though i'm open-minded, i wouldnt take it as seriously and not be as devoted to rectifying myself.  

GreenMango
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

Many of us pull out all the stops ... .   Maybe its desperation or maybe its hope. 

One of the beliefs from the leaving lessons is

Excerpt
10) Belief that they have seen the light Your partner may suddenly be on their best behavior or appearing very needy and trying to entice you back into the relationship. You, hoping that they are finally seeing things your way or really needing you, may venture back in – or you may struggle mightily to stay away

It could go for if you tell them its possible they will see the light.

There's a movie Shawshank Redemption in it Andy gives Red a harmonica while he's serving a life sentence... .   and Red gets upset because the gift is supposed to give him Hope.

He tells him Hope can kill a man. 

I don't think hope can kill you here but it definitely can keep you stuck.  Acceptance is hard.  No two ways around it.

bondafc

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »

The fantasy goes something like this;

"Oh honey, I get it now.  I have BPD, a rare, and largely un-treatable, mental-disorder that causes me to lash-out at and abandon the very people who love me.

Thank-you darling, that explains everything!

I will seek treatment, become the woman you always hoped/knew I would/could be and I will love you forever."

It's not really about helping her. 

It's a secret wish to provide her with a cogent argument that finally makes her realize what she had and has lost.  You hope this will repair and fix her back into the adoration stage.

We have all done it.

Reality is, you can not impose self-awareness onto someone else. 

It is never going to happen... .

Never!

You are a rational person trying to reason with a mentally disturbed person who was broken LONG before you entered into her life.

The most likely outcome is resentment or projection back to you.

You have definitely given her hard evidence that she can distort and show to authorities, family, or friends to undermine your reputation (or worse).

Here is what helped me.

Go to a stationary-store and buy a nice notebook and a nice pen. 

Write at the top of one page:

"It's not OK that she:"

And start writing... .  

Don't contextualize, just bullet points... .  

If your ride was anything like mine, you will have two pages written before you know it.

Then go back and start writing down the entire experience and key learnings.

Some how hand-writing is different than typing into a computer.

Forgive yourself... .   truly forgive yourself... .

There is nothing you could have done differently that would have created a different outcome.

These people are hard-wired to destroy their relationships and create chaos. 

It was always destined to fail... .   period... .  

It's simply of matter of when... .  

The relationship was only going to keep getting worse... .

I am eight months of no-contact and finally feeling a bit more normal... .  

No-contact is brutal... .   but time eventually heals the worst of it.

Respect... .  
daze

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »

I told my uBPD/alcoholic h that I suspect he has BPD traits, events in his early childhood that may have contributed to it, adult behavior that seems to be a symptoms of it, etc.  He didn't get upset or twist it back on me - at least not yet.  If anything it seems like it's come up before, like when he was in the military or in rehab.

He also knows that I think he's an alcoholic and that I want him to quit drinking.

I told him because I love him and the only way our r/s has a chance is if he gets help and quits drinking.  I also care about his young children and the effect he will have on them.  I'm trying to address my end of it with therapy, Al-Anon, reading, etc.  He sees that I am getting better and that my communication skills are improving.

Anyway, this was about three months ago.  He's had a couple of unrelated dysregulation cycles but no repercussions yet.

nylonsquid

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »

Reality is, you can not impose self-awareness onto someone else. 

It is never going to happen... .

Never!

Excellent post Bondafc! But isn't it true, going by your above statement, that trying to reason with Trampled will not change what he's going to do? I mean, something in his mind says he will do it so he's probably going to no matter what you say. He could go against his drive to do it but then he'd suffer not knowing or regret. To me what helped is finding out myself the truth of the matter.

However, with knowledge and then testing the knowledge, one learns. And this is what Trampled is alluding to when it comes to telling his pwBPD. He can tell her, she won't listen, but one day she could wake up and learn. Just like you are doing with Trampled. Afterall, understanding human psyche is not etched in stone and if there's that 1% chance of saving someone then maybe its worth taking. But I think the healthy truth is knowing about oneself, and that is that we/Trampled in this thinking is not thinking of himself which is really at the heart of an empathetic person. Maybe a rescuer too. I think when the focus on someone who is hopeless ends does that energy get shifted back to oneself. Everyone experiences uniquely and with different length of time. What's important is for someone to do what he needs to to reach true acceptance.

bondafc

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »

Nylon,

I see your point and agree. Trampled truly believes this may comfort him.  He is probably invested in a reality where his words will sooth, comfort, heal her, and bring her around. 

While I agree it's unlikely anything will change his mind, the biggest difference is, we are mentally stable and able to reason, she isn't.

99% chance she will likely dazzle him with the amount of pain and denial she will inflict on him. After all, she is defending herself as if her very being is at stake.

To your point, you can't resolve a problem with the same level of consciousness that got you into it in the first place.

In my case, I wasted countless hours analyzing and re-analyzing every weird and bizarre encounter, conversation or rage episode, trying to determine how I could have achieved a different outcome... .  

You finally start to realize that it's like a giant jigsaw puzzle where all the pieces fit together perfectly, but the picture doesn't make sense.

So you take it apart and start over and over and over and the final picture never makes any sense. 

The outcome is always the same. A huge investment in time and energy with only pain and confusion as the result.

In my experience, my UexBPDgf distorted and criticized almost every conversation or text we had.  I found myself constantly defending or clarifying the most ridiculous inane conversations.  It was exhausting and emotionally draining.

Maybe that never happened to Trampled... .   I doubt it.

Based on her persistent behavior that I realized, after it was all over, that there was no point in sending her the ultimate "You have BPD" e-mail... .  

She would simply twist it around like everything else. 

That's not to say I didn't write one... .   I did and I wanted to send it... .  

But I value my heart and I've been hurt enough.

The "writing in a fancy notebook" was/is very cathartic.

It still sits on my night table next to my bed... .  

Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »

Staff only

A reminder about advising and supporting our fellow members:

3.1 Advising and Supporting Others: Members should offer advice as peer opinions targeted directly to the host of the thread. Members shall offer only compassionate, well founded and fact based advice.

Thank you!

CM

nylonsquid

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »

Bondafc: Agreed Smiling (click to insert in post)

Clearmind: My bad!

OTH
Retired Staff

It's not too late to make better choices

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »

Can you have an honest talk with her about why the relationship ended? Can you have an honest talk with her about what behaviors she has that worries you without calling it a mental illness? If you can't how does raising it to another level help? The label is really only useful as a diagnostic tool to help professionals track patients and verify treatment effectiveness. How can it possibly help with anything? If her emotions and behaviors aren't troubling enough to her for her to change, is it really your place to diagnosis her and guide her to the treatment you think she should have? Love is about accepting a person as they are. Not how you wish they could be or what you think they could be.

I know it is difficult but healing won't start until you focus on your own well being. Good luck.

Mary Oliver:  Someone I loved gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift

Hurt llama

Relationship status: single

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »

I totally understand the desire to do this but it's not going to give you satisfaction... .   no way.

I'll quote my divorce lawyer when I complained about how my ex was acting (she's not BPD). He said, ":)o you expect your wife to act better in a divorce than she did in the marriage?"

Pretty much covered it right there.
BlushAndBashful

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »

So is it possible she could cause me more pain?

Yes.

To infinity and beyond.
trampledfoot

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the support and opinions I cannot tell you all how much this has helped me.  Per the guidance of my T i started reading Walking on Eggshells. I feel like some of this book was taken directly from our r/s... .   its scary.

trying to touch on some things people have mentioned in the posts

I am 5 pages into the letter I am writing to her and I dont know what to do.  I will in no way shape or form mention "BPD."  Rather i am analyzing our relationship and discussing the things she did that didnt amke sense and deeply affected me.

The stage that I am in with her is she told me she feels nothing for me at all anymore she doesnt love me and says she hasnt for awhile even though weeks before the break up she was telling me that she wanted us to live together and pressuirng me about marriage. I hate this disorder more than anything and the worst part is that the entire time i was with her i didnt know about it. I didnt know what it was i thought it was all me all my fault that i couldnt do the right things such that she can love me. I do want a second chance with therapy and with the tools that I have now.  I want to know "did she really ever love me" does she still?  can she ever really love?

I have never ever been able to rationalize anything with her in our r/s. even simple things.Her black and white thinking is paramount in our r/s. Everything is either hot or cold all the time. 

I had  agood r/s with her father i have debated telling him a little bit of what i went through but i also think that might be a failure.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

Trampled, its not your role to get involved with telling her father! Please let this go! You can no longer save her - she needs to get help herself.

trampledfoot

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

Please let this go! You can no longer save her - she needs to get help herself.

I need to I really need to
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »

Please let this go! You can no longer save her - she needs to get help herself.

I need to I really need to

How can you begin to make steps towards letting go? What are you doin for yourself? Socialising with friends? Keeping up your own interests - finding new ones?

fakename

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

Trampled, I agree with clearmind and I also revisited the idea of telling my ex she has BPD after she contacted me and we exchanged emails on Friday after not talking for 2 months. We also haven't talked since Friday.

I also debated the idea of telling her non-blood uncle tht she has BPD and to help her (this way I rationalized to myself that I don't have to get involved) but deep down I think it was an attempt of me to manipulate the uncle into siding with me.

Either way yesterday and this morning were very rough for me and I wasn't being productive and kinda felt lost all over again. Like almost back at square one.

I turned it around by forcing myself to be productive and I also just had a great workout. I'm still sad but I'm trying to get back on track.

I say all the above because your line of 'I need to I really need to' sounds like desperation and not clear thinking and I was in the same boat just recently. I'm telling you that you can force yourself to get out of it. I hope you do that otherwise sometimes when we want to take extreme measures to help, we seem like the crazy ones or it can do more harm for our exes. If I told my Ex's family I think she would feel so vulnerable and like she lost control of everything and who know what else and then who knows what she would do.
trampledfoot

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »

Clearmind/fakename

I made it i roughed out the tough patch and i didn't tell her or her father anything. I have been being extremely social with friends I am always around others and seeing my T once a week. I am also working out ~5 times a week and focusing a lot more on music.

The past few days i have felt numb to her and the issue... .   i am not sad and i am not happy i just feel like WOW... .   this is is over i really love her and this is over.  I feel like I miss her but it doesn't make me sad it almost makes me angry and regretful. I dont know what she is up to or what her rr/s status might be but I can only assume she is dating and I know that she will end up someone seriously very soon.  i know this is when the hammer is going to come down on me and my heart so i am trying to prepare for this.
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »

Good for you trampled. You have integrity.

The more we build our self worth the more we don't want to go back to chaos. Keep looking out for you, build new memories free of the burden of your relationship.

If and when you do hear she is with someone else - remind yourself that this soul felt just like you in the beginning and will feel just like you at the end - we often compare ourselves to the new person in their lives when instead we should be empathetic.

This new person has some learning in their future just like you.

fakename

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »

hey trampled,

that's really great. i think that was a really big step for you and it sounds like you're making great progress. (when i broke up, i focused a lot on working out and 2 months later, as i see the results, it has really helped in me moving forward with my life... . i hope you keep it up... .   some days i would REALLY have to force myself to work out.)

i went through a period when i was numb as well. all i can say from my experience is that i went through a rollercoaster ride, and some days were particular tougher than others. but, i feel a lot more free now. a long time since feb 4th... .   she contacted me last friday, and i just kept my distance and didnt fall for her manipulations and held my boundaries. i felt good at the moment and i was waiting/hoping she would contact me, but for a couple days after i was back into the abyss.  i came here for support and i got back out of it, and the past 4 days i have just felt soo much better about everything. i think it was a big step in me continuing to move forward.

i'm saying this cause i want you to make sure you know some days are rougher than others, but as long as you stay on the right path, you'll do better.  i'm hoping in a couple months i'll be fully detached.  but not gonna put pressure on myself.  taking it a day at a time. 

it also helped me to further understand the disorder (even though after i accepted that none of what we had was real, i was still hurting)  i am fully aware now, that she really will never change, any hope i had beforehand that she would, is gone and i think that is what has helped me.  that was really big for me.  also focusing on my own shortcoming and improving them is what helps me move forward.

anyway, get ready for the ride, dont be too hard on yourself and know a better life is up ahead.

let me also add, cause i think its hilarious and also cause it just epitomizes how clearly screwed up she is, she's now telling everyone she's writing this motivational book, and she uses that to manipulate her new boytoys... . even though she only wrote like 2 pages, and they were 90% plagerized... .   its a sad life... .   and there's nothing i can do to help her.

trampledfoot

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »

Thanks All:

So after 1.5 months NC she texted me last night out of nowhere.  She must have found out that i was out with a female friend of mine whom she doesnt care for.   She said "yadda yadda about my female friend and then said I am glad i was the one with the balls to end it when it was SOO clearly over"

I wrote something but I didnt send it to her she doesnt deserve the response i wrote maybe later certainly not any time soon.  I worte something to the effect of  "balls"  It doesnt take balls to detach completely from someone you love and walk away without hurt it takes balls to wake up every morning and know that I will go on and someoen out there will love me for me and not demean me and question my love daily... .   thats the jist of it but just writing it made me feel good
fakename

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »

i think what you did took maturity and restraint and thats something to be proud of. and i agree with what we're doing take balls. haha.

the way i kinda see it now is there's no point in even trying to explain or rationalize things with her... .   nothing goes through anyway, just a tremendous waste of my mental and physical energy
fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

In my head I composed a bunch of things I wanted to tell her, but fortunately never sent any.  I had the awareness at the time to at least ask myself why I wanted to tell her a few things, and sure, part of it was I loved her and wanted to help, but that wasn't the main thing.  The main thing was I wanted to be right, and acknowledged as right by her, for once, after a long, long time of being invalidated and blamed for everything.  Once I discovered and admitted what my real motive was, I had to realize I probably never would get the validation, it's her challenge and not mine after all, and I'd be better off surrounding myself with people who were validating.
trampledfoot

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »

The main thing was I wanted to be right, and acknowledged as right by her, for once, after a long, long time of being invalidated and blamed for everything.  Once I discovered and admitted what my real motive was, I had to realize I probably never would get the validation,

I completeley agree JUST ONCE JUST ONCE i want to hear "I am sorry for this I was wrong" in 2.5 years I never got that ever ever ever... .   but why what would a sorry give me now closure with someone who is unhealthy and doesn't want a relationship surrounding compromise and love rather wants to constantly be waited on and to use me as a punching bag with the occasional bread crumb of love. 
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »

I completeley agree JUST ONCE JUST ONCE i want to hear "I am sorry for this I was wrong" in 2.5 years I never got that ever ever ever... .   but why what would a sorry give me now closure with someone who is unhealthy and doesn't want a relationship surrounding compromise and love rather wants to constantly be waited on and to use me as a punching bag with the occasional bread crumb of love. 

Yeah, that was the most painful thing to accept: someone I was in love with and thought was healthy just wasn't, and I would never get what I needed from her.  Live and learn, and oh boy have I learned a lot since, and choose to believe everything happens for a reason.  And apart from filling up our lives with healthy people, we can also learn to self-validate, which was a bonus I didn't know I'd get from our time in hell.  Power to us dude.
fakename

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »

hahahah, trampledfoot and fromheeltoheal,

in my relationship it got the point, where the last couple arguments, i would just say something along the lines of 'ok, you know you're wrong and you know it's your fault, but youre not going to stop yelling unless i take the blame for it and apologize, then fine. it's my fault and i'm sorry'

sometimes, she would then make me say what i was sorry for, and i'd come up with some BS reason.  even at the time i thought it was hilarious. but i was really doing it cause i knew she was irrational and i just wanted her to be calmed down and have some peace... .   i didnt really care if i had to take the blame... . i thought of myself as a guy who was trying to please his girl. even if it hurt him and he had to put aside his dignity.

i think all of those 'sacrifices' i was making though probably ended up building up inside of me and hurting me cause i really felt like i was never really loved by her.

in the end, i'm glad to have gone through all that stuff, so i know who i want to be in the future, and how i want my relationships to go in the future. i'm going to be making much smarter decisions before getting involved in a long-term r/s with someone... .   and honestly, i did grow a lot and learn how to treat a girl like a lady because of the ex. so i cant be upset about any of it all any more.  i'm glad its over and i'm really glad i believed in myself enough to come to these boards and learn, to push myself physically and mentally and believe that i deserve more than how i was treating myself while with her.

here's to a friday night, though alone, with no fighting, manipulations or catering toan unappreciative someone who's needs can never be met no matter how much i bleed to try... .

lastly, your comment of an "occasional bread crumb of love"... .   at least for me, i dont think i can even call it that anymore, she needed someone to be affectionate and loving with to satisfy her needs, to just go through the motions with someone, i happened to be the stand-in actor at the moment, if i wasnt there, she wouldve acted the same way with someone else. i cant say there's any love about it that she gave me, cause the same would've been given out to someone else. she saved nothing special for me.
fromheeltoheal

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

I got analytical with mine.  There were two ways to look at the crap coming out of her mouth; one, I wasn't behaving the way she wanted me to and so she'd punish me, which in a word is abuse, or two, her reasoning was always she did what she did because of what I said or did, always reactionary, never taking responsibility, which is literally irresponsible.

So there you go, abusive or irresponsible were my choices, neither of which have any place in a healthy relationship.  Unfortunately I got continually defensive while I was in it, which didn't help, and couldn't see it for what it was until I was out of it.  Chaos.  We're healing.
Rocknut

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 07:21:25 AM »

I printed off a bunch of papers from the web, like from webmd, etc, highlighting BPD.

I arranged them nicely. I highlighted with a marker the most important symptoms that my exBFBPD told me he had. For example, feeling dead inside, raging, child molestation, depression, extreme mood swings, unstable relationship history, etc. I put them in a folder. I place them on his bed. I also took all the old pictures of us. These were pictures of us together, when he saw he was "happy." I put them in a nice small photo book on his bed along with the folder.

The reaction I got next day was an "extinction outburst" of pure insanity. He degraded me everyway possible. He said everything from, "you're disgusting" to "i gave you aids."

I'm not sure if conciously he knows i'm right, or I just really pissed him off. Who knows?
Rocknut

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »

Trapledfoot,

I DID what you are planning to do. I texted her that I think she has BPD and she will keep suffering if  she does not get help. and that I know you will hate me for this... .   someday you will thank me for letting you know. I don't hate you and never will.

Here comes a barrage of text missiles from her ":)iagnose yourself... .   what kind of illness you have?'

"do you want me to have a restraining order? stop harassing me."

Amzing. This IS EXACTLY WORD FOR WORD what my exBFBPD said. Seriously, he repeatedly said I was harassing him, that I was the crazy one, then at the end threatened to go to the police
Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 07:31:30 AM »

Everyone on this planet likes to feel safe.

Imagine a person you cared about gave you details of a mental illness and accused you of having BPD? How would you honestly feel?

I think we need to be mindful in this discussion that the majority our partners/ex partners on bpdfamily are undiagnosed. We don't know if they are BPD or not.

Folks who "act" the way our partners do are more likely to have BPD traits rather than the mental disorder known as BPD.

Sometimes we need to exercise some empathy for folks who have a hard time regulating emotions and start thinking about our role in the relationship dynamic.

This is where the true healing begins.

Rocknut

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:03 AM »

Here's whats weird Clearmind. Tell me what you think.

The very first time my ex raged on me, it scared him to death. He spent 400$ the next day going to a local crook "psychiatrist" that prescribed him adderol and sleeping pills. My ex admitted to having no idea why he blew up on me. He said it scared him... .  

As he got worse and worse, he REALLY started to deny he had any problem. He started getting angrier when I mentioned his problems. He started saying I was judging him, etc.

So as this disease gets worse, so does denial?
OTH
Retired Staff

It's not too late to make better choices

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »

Usually relationships start in a pretty good place. It is much easier to be honest. The idealization stage of love. As the relationship evolves differences have to be sorted out and conflicts have to be resolved. This takes a higher level of emotional skill. As a relationship progresses unless issues are being resolved they build up. I know my ex was much more agreeable to my way of thinking in the beginning of our relationship then she was at the end. Actually, this is true of all my failed relationships just magnified in this one. I had gotten used to sweeping things under the rug to keep the peace. I see what a mistake that was now. It would have been better to confront it head on. I wholeheartedly believe she would have left but I think it would have saved us both a lot of heart ache and wasted time.

Here's whats weird Clearmind. Tell me what you think.

The very first time my ex raged on me, it scared him to death. He spent 400$ the next day going to a local crook "psychiatrist" that prescribed him adderol and sleeping pills. My ex admitted to having no idea why he blew up on me. He said it scared him... .  

As he got worse and worse, he REALLY started to deny he had any problem. He started getting angrier when I mentioned his problems. He started saying I was judging him, etc.

Mary Oliver:  Someone I loved gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift

Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »

Rocknut, we play a role in the dysfunction. Your partner was triggered by you and you were triggered by your partner. Not everyone attaches to a person with BPD traits - you did my friend.

As for the "disease" - we don't know if she has BPD - I cannot diagnose and neither can you.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen threads on the Leaving Board with the title "Am I BPD or is my ex"! The reason being is that many of us also carry some BPD traits - maybe not be diagnosed BPD.

It occurred to me during the course of my r/s that I also started to react to my ex, and it got worse - I also remember clearly I was in denial about my role.

Rocknut, all I am saying is that your ex is who she is, you want a diagnosis because then you won't blame yourself for the relationship demise - that is OK - we all go through that stage.

We also need to understand our role - why we were attracted to someone who put us on a pedestal - my guess is - because we did not have a lot of our self worth to begin with.

Build your self worth and you will soon understand your role.

So going back to the title of this thread "Need Advice: I think I need to let her know about BPD" - how would you feel if your partner accused you of having BPD? Not real welcoming I am sure and frankly we don't know!

Surrender

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »

Has anyone tried this approach? Will this help me bring closure? Is there a way to phrase this to her in order to make it more palatable for her? Thoughts?

I thought about this long and hard. I came to the realization that he would only turn that knowledge against me. There is no winning and I have no option but to accept that. I won't help him by trying to make known to him the 'obvious'. He has been fighting himself and the world since he can remember. If I did this I would only contribute to his fury and rages.
elessar

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »

this is what i just posted a few mins back. you will hear worse replies than this. it will be projected unto u. this time i didnt even tell her about BPD. i told her "plz google what u r telling me". anyway here it is -

Just stop diagnosing me, ne normal person under pressure go through many emotions. Doesn't mean they r have something

Tat was one of the major thing tat pushed me away from u. I hated the fact tat I had to be broken for u.

I was just a girl over whelmed w her life n probs. Tats all

and you know whats funny... .   for 5 months back in 2011 she wanted to see a psych. once it hit her that her parents might be the reason for her issues, shes in denial/defensive.
Chazz

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Who knows....

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »

Tramplefoot... .   I am exactly in the same place as you about contacting my Ex. I've gone through the same parsing process. Should I, or shouldn't I contact her for one last time? After all, our last encounter left me a devastated, blathering idiot in complete shock. 

But... .   What are my true motives; what do I hope to gain? It's not reunification. I've had enough of her projections, displaced rage, devastating insults, turning me blacker-than-black, to last several lifetimes.

I don't even care that she has, once again, cultivated a dating relationship while we were still, at least in my mind, "together". She destroyed the "sacred intimacy" of our sexual relationship awhile ago. She has a lifelong pattern of pursuing the next shiny person while still in a relationship. Why should I be treated any differently? It’s so much easier for her to blame me, her ex-husband, or whomever for her emptiness, dissatisfaction, boredom, infidelity. 

So, why do I have this urge to contact her? ….Because, I’m tortured by her turning my love for her into something "ugly, destructive, sick, abusive" (her words)…. I WANT VINDICATION FOR MY LOVE. (If you listen closely, you will hear the desperate cries of what is left of my unhealed, inner child.)

Will I ever get vindication from my Ex – NEVER, EVER ! ! ! ! She’s invested in seeing my love as “destructive”. She needs to do that to justify her endless pursuit of a perfect lover who will put her inner devastation to right FOR HER.

She's on a fool's errand, for sure. And, so would I be if I sought vindication from her.     

Clearmind
Retired Staff

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

So, why do I have this urge to contact her? ….Because, I’m tortured by her turning my love for her into something "ugly, destructive, sick, abusive" (her words)…. I WANT VINDICATION FOR MY LOVE. (If you listen closely, you will hear the desperate cries of what is left of my unhealed, inner child).

Most truest thing I have read today.

Chazz you are spot on. We don't want to tell our partners to be kind, because its unkind to do so.

We have been hurt, yes! However we voluntarily entered this relationship so why are we wanting them to pay!

To move forward, seek answers from within (that yes lie in our childhood) is having dignity, exercising emotional maturity and taking some accountability.

We need to be accountable for our decisions - not vindicate our ex's for them.

wanttoknowmore

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

Everyone on this planet likes to feel safe.

Imagine a person you cared about gave you details of a mental illness and accused you of having BPD? How would you honestly feel?

Clearmind,

If my partner said that I have BPD... . I will ask her what makes you think I have BPD? I dont think I will into rage or start yelling ,threatening or cursing.
fakename

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »

@wanttoknowmore,

i dont think that puts you in her shoes though... .  

the question should be, if you had a mental illness, and a person you cared about gave you details of a mental illness and accused you of having BPD, how would you honestly feel

Surnia
Retired Staff

Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »

Staff only

This thread has reached the page limit and is now locked.  Feel free to pick one of the topics from the thread to start a new one.

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest