Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disagreeing with other members  (Read 346 times)
Beachbumforlife

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 01, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »

I'm curious, and perhaps this has been discussed before and someone may want to post the link here to the thread if so, but are there any guidelines to the best way to handle conflict on this board, or politely disagree with other members?  Sort of like "collegial debate" or fighting fairly?   Smiling (click to insert in post)

It hasn't happened yet here that I've seen, but I have seen it at other support forums and think it's worth discussing if it hasn't already been.  Or maybe bump the thread it was in if there already is one.
PDQuick
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Happily living with myself

Don't look outside for the answers within.

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »

This might help... .  

3.0 Discussion Format: bpdfamily/bpdfamily.com is set up as a collegium. We follow a Collegial Discussion format which is characterized as having "authority" vested equally among colleagues/peers. As such, members present their ideas in "collegial harmony" and the credibility of their positions are based solely on the quality of the points they advance in writing. Diversity is to be embraced - there is often much to be learned from others views and perspectives.

Please note that collegial discussion is different than debate. Debate is an argument or a discussion generally ending with a vote or agreement on the best decision. In debate, unity is the objective. Members are discouraged from debating and arguing against others' positions, questioning the wisdom of others, or restating of their position repeatedly. See also Advising and Supporting Others, Respecting Belief Systems, Divisive Exchanges, Lying and Misrepresentations, or Advocating for Others.

more... .  

Beachbumforlife

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:54:12 AM »

Thank you so much for the reply pdquick.  I did see that in the guidelines.  I just thought maybe some examples of how to play fair while you are disagreeing could be helpful.  Like, what are the rules for disagreeing respectfully?  Especially in a support forum.

I think it is so important because many of us have different things we are working on, or past experiences that could 'trigger' us. But we have to remember other members have these same issues potentially too.

I guess there has never been a thread on it before?  Maybe things automatically run smoothly here and there is no reason to discuss it. That's not a bad thing.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »

An example ;

"I understand and appreciate that XYZ may be true for you. But for me, at this point in my journey, abc is still true for me."

It is just being polite in your wording,  just as you would be (hopefully) at work or anywhere else.

And avoiding obvious verbal aggression, like  name calling, character assassination, insults, gross sweeping generalizations.

You know, the usual.

When a thread goes south into this territory a moderator interrupts it with a warning.CID it doesn't stop they lock the thread.  It happens here occasionally.

Beachbumforlife

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »

Thank you maybeso.  I agree on the polite wording and the other stuff.  And good to know on the mods being involved.

PDQuick
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Happily living with myself

Don't look outside for the answers within.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »

BeachBum, as a person that went through this process, I remember being totally against what some people said to me in the beginning. As the process went on, and my thinking became untwisted, and I learned how to process my emotions, and deal with them in a healthy way, I found myself coming around and aligning myself with those who I had first opposed. This process is very enlightening in the aspect that we can look back and see not only how far we have come, but also, just how far down we had been.

Peace to you in your journey. 

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »

To a degree we are here to learn how to deal with pwBPD, and the first rule you learn with that is avoiding head to head conflict, so I guess we are all conditioned to be cautious of all the careless "up you" dissing that goes on in nearly every other online forum on any topic you can think of.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest