Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 05:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to your own advice...  (Read 420 times)
Aussie JJ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« on: July 17, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »

I have been guilty of knowing what is the correct thing to do for other people and helping them solve their issues and have never been able to really step back and give myself good advice.  

I think from this I have gained the ability to step back a bit.  I can see where if I took a step back earlier I would have had that wise mind so to speak that I give to others.  

On these boards all of us give advice or opinions to one another and the situations we are enduring, however I have found I often haven't had that wise mind that I can apply to my own situation.  Looking at my own posts I seem to have a lot of insight to others problems at times and then no insight to my own situation... .

Its a bit conflicting however I am starting to really see my patterns of not looking after myself and caring for myself.  Can others relate to this and being able to apply these skills to yourself?

I've found while questioning myself and being hard on myself I have started to actually go backwards a bit.  When I am accepting my mistakes I can then see the emotion involved, identify it and I'm learning to apply it better in the future.  Sort of, wondering if others have found this to be the case.  

I have been at rock bottom for ages then seen the light and had a moment of clarity, or what I thought was clarity.  Now looking back, it hasn't been clarity in these moments but anger, guilt, obligation and shame that has driven different actions.  Now I've sort of got everything all of those emotions that mix in with the logic and I can slow down the thought process.  

Am I better, not yet however I am starting to understand and accept more.  
Blimblam

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »

I can relate in that I know what i must do but each time I work through something there is a new layer and boom. I find her waiting for me again in my psyche.  Along with another surge of emotions to be processed. I sort have come to accept that this will continue to go on untill it has been worked through.  Acceptance is key and feeling the and experiencing them and the belief or reason behind them and letting them pass while doing deep belly breaths.

I think of it as surrendering to the healing process and accepting it for what it is.  

Like I broke nc a few times.  I go back to bargaining in some form.  Have a hard time just keeping focus.

It's all part of the process. Then I get mad I'm stuck processif this stuff. But that passes to. 

eagle755

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

I can definitely relate with all of that. I'm still going through those stages. My mind is a pretty big mess. But I'm doing what I can to keep that clear focus. 90% of the time, I'm fine, and I think I know what's what, and I have clarity. Then there's the down moments that can rip me down.

But I'm making progress, and progress for me is minimizing the down times, and waking up without anxiety.

I feel like everyone on here is very similar, its crazy how BPD people target people like us.
Blimblam

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:09:03 PM »

I can definitely relate with all of that. I'm still going through those stages. My mind is a pretty big mess. But I'm doing what I can to keep that clear focus. 90% of the time, I'm fine, and I think I know what's what, and I have clarity. Then there's the down moments that can rip me down.

But I'm making progress, and progress for me is minimizing the down times, and waking up without anxiety.

I feel like everyone on here is very similar, its crazy how BPD people target people like us.

The common denominator besides the BPD person is the board.  Maybe it says something about us getting affected so hard and why we invested so much of ourself.  Most people that date a BPD person don't end up on this board
Narellan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »

Totally relate Aussie JJ. Even if I read back certain days I can see the frame of mind I was in that day and it may be different another day... .It's all part of the process. I'm starting to move forward now but it's really been a long hard process. And there are days I slip back. But I'm never going to be at that rockbottom place again. Once you recognise you were there, the only way out is up. Peace 
Ventus2ct

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:23:50 AM »

I couldn't imagine going through what I've gone through so far without this board, could any of you?

I think we're all guilty of not listening to our own advice, I don't! Maybe because we can give advice straight from the head to a 3rd party but in our own case there are a whole host of emotions, feelings etc involved which pollutes our rational thinking.
Narellan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »

I don't know if I'd even be here without this board.
LostGhost

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:26:06 AM »

I'm almost ashamed to admit the same Narellan. After going through this situation... .well, it's a blessing to have found this community. Without it I would have been in a place of perpetual confusion, completely lost. I already suffered enough in my life before all of this... .but to endure this breakup with a BPD having no answers or any kind of closure could have been the point of no return.
Aussie JJ

Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »

Its comforting knowing your not crazy... .

Your actually healthy because you can feel the pain. 
Narellan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:45:44 AM »

Finding this site has answered lots of questions but the pain still remains. But this site saved my life a few months back... .of that I am sure.

And it continues to be a support for me. I learn new things every day. And the beliefs that I had, swing around a bit... It's ok not to know all the answers but to have a bit of information has given me some peace and some sense of closure.
Aussie JJ

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »

I found myself earlier today reading through my stuff and just amazed at how entrenched I have been in my sons mothers absolute toxic spell.  It is comforting recognising this, I know I still have feelings for her however I sort of accept them and that I can't act on them.  Its quite wierd, oh the joy of it all. 

A big thing for me has been that support network of people that are in the same situation.  In honesty, my friends, family and everyone else thinks I am crazy.  They cant understand it.  Not even I understood it. 

From this site, I have the ultimate understanding, more important than many other things I undertstand myself, each day I am learning a bit more bit by bit.  The most empowering thing was going through it one more time, being destroyed one more time and being able to see the behaviours and, accept them?  Accept it wont ever change. 

I have been writting sort of different ways to describe what has happened so I can explore it differently.  At the moment I have been stuck on the walking on egg shells line.  First book I read about BPD. 

At the start if you look at yourself as an Egg, normal everyday egg.  On the inside is your soul, emotions, sense of self & pride. 

In comes BPD SO

That Egg gets built up, The shell gets reinforced, made to feel invunerable.  You are idolized and put on a pedastool. 

At some point in time, subconciously, cracks start to apear, little jabs are taken. 

The shell is no longer bullet proof.  SO starts to pull it apart, the devaluation begins. 

Then peice by peice it gets disasembled, scattered all around you. 

Our BPD SO's have taken our Shell, our self confidence and broken it down one small peice by small peice.  All of those qualities that we were made to be so proud of are slowly ripped apart. 

At this point in time we have no defense mechanism, it is taken away and those jabs are directed at our very being.  Our sense of self, pride, self worth is slowly and sometimes quite rapidly ripped to peices.  We are open to continued assault on our very being and as we have no defense mechanisms left the gaslighting starts and we accept what isnt true.  We start to doubt ourselves. 

We are then walking around on Eggshells, no defense mechanisms left waiting for the next attack.  Trying to avoid another wound to our very core.  We cant reach out as to reach out entales crossing the eggshells and to cross them to get support is to invite another attack. 

Then, without warning, without any repurcussion to the BPD SO.  They leave. 

We have no defnse mechanisms and no pride, no self esteem, they took all of that away and made us bare.  There is nothing to protect us from the campaign of lies and diistortion that then ensues as we have no support network in place, no defense at all. 

I came here in that state.  With nothing apart from an open wound constantly bleeding with a light pole sticking out of my side that was getting twisted around constantly. 

Due to the guidance of my P, support network, some of the staff here and members with their own posts and experiences.  I have started to pick up those peices and I am getting my defense mechanisms back.  I am healing and understanding the wounds that have been inflicted upon me and making changes to rectify my faults that exist at my core. 

I am now becoming a whole entity again, the wound is still raw and the peices still scattered but I am navigating the minefield and when I open up a wound due to the past experiences I am exploring that wound and not closing it off and denying its existance I am doing work to heal it.  I am accepting my faults and ensureing that those faults that have had a detrimental effect on my past, those flaws that have been exploited are not going to repeat in the future. 

My past will not be a indication of where I end up in the future.  I am changing that future for a healthier alternative, oh is it painful exploring my faults.  However it is so empowering. 

I am so not going to be able to hand in these journals for court.  Going to be between me and my P Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Narellan

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »

Great post Aussie JJ. One of my good friends is staying with me for a few days and he is bewildered that I haven't been able to move on from this. He just doesn't understand the depth of pain it's caused me. He is the only one I still talk to about it, and of course my friends here.

I've just booked a holiday to Cairns. I leave Wednesday , getting away from this depressing Victorian winter weather.  Being cool (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest