Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fixing" the pwBPD = healing ourselves  (Read 393 times)
HappyNihilist

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 11, 2014, 08:33:09 PM »

I've been re-reading member 2010's posts (as I encourage everyone to do), and I came across this quote.

At a certain point we all feel shame for not being able to “fix” the disorder.  And the more you read about addiction, the more you’ll understand that it really is about a “fix.” Uncertainty versus hope equals bargaining and denial of the dilemma can lead to toxic shame.  All of these “psychology today” terms that really stem from a spiritual wound that needs healing. There are reasons for this.

The BPD partner is really a representative of what you think will “fix” your spiritual wound.

My relationship with my exBPDbf opened my eyes to a lot of truths about myself. Our behavior is reflective of what's going on with our inner selves, and whether or not we are living in accordance with who we are. The wounds that were laid open by my ex were (mostly) there before him, and even though it hurt like hell, examining those wounds has taught me a lot about who I am and why.

It's important to approach this without judgment -- we are all broken in our ways, and that's not a bad thing; we are humans trying our best to survive; and we are lovable and worthwhile. Our traits and behaviors are not "bad" or "good," but rather healthy or unhealthy for us as individuals. Once we can begin to look at ourselves this way, with compassion and acceptance, we can start to "fix" that spiritual wound.

What do you think your relationship with your ex can teach you about yourself and your own spiritual wound?
Jmanster

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »

My exBPD has taught me that I have to stand up for myself, even though that not what she wanted... .She practically wanted me to be her slave and emotional wind up toy. However, she has shown me sides of myself that I didn't knew existed, and this is what I am thankful for. I have found out the issues in my inner core and how I can fix them. Each relationship is a lesson.
caughtnreleased

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »

Hi, me too.  My BPDex showed me many sides of myself that I had tries to hide away, forget, and pretend they didn't exist, most notably my own vulnerability. I too am very grateful for that.  It was a difficult emotional experience I've had to date, but I think I've changed a lot, and for the better, and for that I am grateful.

The crumbs of love that you offer me, they're the crumbs I've left behind. - L. Cohen
Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »

My r/s with my ex ended bc I finally stood up for myself.  I finally said 'no, you aren't going to treat me like that, I don't deserve to be treated like that'.   I realised that 'fixing' him or us was not my priority.  I was my priority.  I learned that I have been stuffing down my feelings for a lifetime.  I have numbed, denied, distracted myself from and have tried to bypass my wounded child all my life.  This BU brought my wound to the surface, impossible to ignore any longer.  Out of desperation to not ever repeat this r/s, I jumped into the wound.  SCARY!  And there have been moments, days, even weeks where I wish I could go back to that place of ignorance and not have to feel this way.  But then I remind myself of the possibilities if I were to be healthy.  This keeps me pushing forward.  Not coincidently, my ex has many, many similarities to my mother.  And with this r/s I have been able to really face my tormented r/s with my mother and see it for what it was and is.  Finally a possibility of healing.
HappyNihilist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:41 PM »

Hi, me too.  My BPDex showed me many sides of myself that I had tries to hide away, forget, and pretend they didn't exist, most notably my own vulnerability. I too am very grateful for that.  It was a difficult emotional experience I've had to date, but I think I've changed a lot, and for the better, and for that I am grateful.

caughtnreleased, my ex also made me see a lot of sides of myself that I'd denied, ignored, etc. I feel much more enlightened. And what a beautiful perspective you have. You sound like you're in a very good place.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Not coincidently, my ex has many, many similarities to my mother.  And with this r/s I have been able to really face my tormented r/s with my mother and see it for what it was and is.  Finally a possibility of healing.

Pingo, this is frighteningly similar to my experience. It has certainly been eye-opening. I'm so glad that you've been able to use your experience with your ex to find a path to healing your core wounds, Pingo

My exBPD has taught me that I have to stand up for myself, even though that not what she wanted... .She practically wanted me to be her slave and emotional wind up toy. However, she has shown me sides of myself that I didn't knew existed, and this is what I am thankful for. I have found out the issues in my inner core and how I can fix them. Each relationship is a lesson.

Jmanster, that's a great way to put it: "each relationship is a lesson." We just have to be willing students and put in the necessary work.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest