Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:01:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD and nutrients or supplements  (Read 771 times)
rarsweet

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 20, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »

I noticed behavioral differences in my ex depending on what he put in his body. He seemed to be better when he smoked, drank b12, ate healthy, and drank alcohol. Then he had to take an antidepressant for carpol tunnel inflammation and he stopped the b12, started drinking 4 or 5 monsters a day, he stopped drinking alcohol, and quit smoking, started chewing tobacco, but he would eat constantly, like cook whole meals all day, and his behaviour just went downhill. Any correlation between behavior and what they put in their body? Another thing he has asthma, but I noticed it was better when he smoked. Once he quit smoking he started using his inhaler all the time, he is not overweight but his breathing is terrible, and his apnea got worse.
maxsterling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

So many things can affect mood.  Diet is certainly one of them.  My wife is more irritable when hungry.  Also more irritable when she just ate a bunch of junk food.  It could be a chemical thing related to the nutrients in her blood stream.  But it could also be an emotional thing with her emotions being associated with the way she feels regarding food.  Example:  being hungry leads to anxiety over what her next meal will be and when.  She obsesses until she explodes.  Example 2:  She binges on junk food, then feels horrible and in a bad mood afterwards because of shame. 

Other things to consider - changes in blood chemistry as a result of starting or stopping something can lead to mood changes.  Look at kids and sugar.  My wife went off sugar, two days later she melted down.

Another thing to consider with pwBPD is coping mechanisms.  pwBPD need a coping mechanism, and when that mechanism is disrupted, look out!  I think that is part of the reason why they tend to get uncomfortable and moody within relationships.  I think for my wife at least, dating someone new and the prospect of new things kept my wife going.  She also had the possibility of blaming her problems on her partner and finding someone new.  The stability of me has taken away that coping mechanism for her, and thus her moods. 

In the case of your ex, the chance in blood chemistry may have had something to do with his change in moods.  Or, his smoking and alcohol may have been his coping mechanism.  it sounds like eating and energy drinks were becoming his new vice, but had not quite gotten to that comfort level with them. 

fromheeltoheal

Relationship status: Broken up, I left her

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »

Excerpt
started drinking 4 or 5 monsters a day

Yikes!  That much caffeine will make anyone psycho, disordered or not.  It's not about the substances specifically though, it's about the need to ingest them.  Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, B12, all things to try and fill up that hole, that emptiness, or with the stimulants like caffeine, you can run so fast you can outrun that emptiness.  Until you can't.  I speak from personal experience on this, way too much of it.  The 'right' way is to slow down, meditate, chill out, eat right, stay hydrated, sleep enough, and get some exercise, but not too much, which is just another drug.  And then when we do that the emotions show up, and the challenge is to sit with them, feel them all the way, step off to the side of them, don't be them, see what they have to teach us.  And of course all of that is more difficult than numbing them or running from them, but it's also where the payoff is; the only way out is through.

Got off on that a little, it was more for me than a comment on your ex, but someone with a personality disorder is going to have an even more difficult time doing that since the emotions are stronger and they have less ability to regulate them.  And yes, the chemicals would affect his behavior, especially someone with an unstable sense of self to begin with.
Smallville

Relationship status: Broke it off with him 3 months ago

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »

I have been looking into what vitamins or nutrients might help them with mood. I know about the Omega 3, but I saw your post and looked up b-12! This is what I found. Now how do you get a uBPD to start taking those items? Lol.

www.aapel.org/BPD/BLmedicationUS.html
Targeted
Formerly CaresAboutSomeoneLikeThis

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »

Mine was 52 and wanted a baby still, she had pre natal as well as ginsing and everything else that said it would help get pregnant, it cost me a mint! 
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »

The 'right' way is to slow down, meditate, chill out, eat right, stay hydrated, sleep enough, and get some exercise, but not too much, which is just another drug.  And then when we do that the emotions show up, and the challenge is to sit with them, feel them all the way, step off to the side of them, don't be them, see what they have to teach us.  And of course all of that is more difficult than numbing them or running from them, but it's also where the payoff is; the only way out is through.

Well said.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Isn't it true when we physically feel better, we tend to feel better mentally; and  vice versa.  A portion of DBT focuses on eating healthier, getting more sleep, exercising frequently, etc. I think this advice is something everyone should strive for.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest