Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:38:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boundaries: 'being a caring, supportive partner' Vs 'being used' ~  (Read 324 times)
daz_bpd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« on: April 05, 2015, 04:03:35 AM »

A constant theme with my ex gf was the threshold conflict / boundary between a independent core value of mine which is "being a caring, loving, supportive" partner but then not having her take advantage of this and playing victim so that I am always rescuing her.

Each of the situations were independently rationalised and 'reasonable' but when you string them together it looks as if her life is a constant drama and mess, where she is 'surviving' day-to-day and I am simply supplying her with money, attention, energy to keep things afloat.

whenever i didnt do as she asks she reminded me that i didnt love her enough and that other men (her ex in particular) did a better job than me
valet
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »

I think that experience ultimately dictates how we react in situations where we truly care and want to help. When you're really raw in relationships, you tend not to know how to treat another person. This is obviously where communication should come in, but it often doesn't, especially in the case of a BPD partner.

I think that now you've had this experience, you'll have those critical lightbulb moments in future relationships that will allow you to better establish your own boundaries. Now that you've had the opportunity to see what too much is, you're probably already much better equipped than most.

This is kind of the gift that cluster-b partners give us. When the fog has lifted, we truly can see through them in a lot of ways. This allows us to put up big boundaries with them, even as friends, while also giving us a better idea of who a healthy partner might be.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest