Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I had a dream. It was everything that hurt me in my BPD relationship.  (Read 399 times)
misuniadziubek

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« on: June 03, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »

In a way, I'm detaching from the old relationship I had, unsure if there will be a new one.

It's been three days of NC with my partner. They have been very intense. It is a feeling of change. I know I need this change. I'm a little sick at the same time. Third day now too. I had a bit of a dream/hallucination falling asleep in bed. When I woke up... .it was obvious what the dream was about.

I dreamt that I had just bought a puppy or bunny, or something. I can't recognise the animal right now. It was beautiful,adorable,very small and very needy. I loved it so much for it's innocence and need for me. I spent every waking moment with it, nurturing it, loving it.

Then my mom calls me up and tells me that my boyfriend is outside. I'm ecstatic. He comes inside, I leave the small animal with my brother, not really looking to make sure it is safe or anything. My boyfriend has bought me a gift. It's a pair of really adorable shortalls in a vibrant color and he tells me that he wants to wear it when we go to the amusement park.

I get ready and my aunt asks where I'm going. There is a family party that she has invited me to. I tell her I can't. I have to go see my boyfriend.

I drive up to the place of the amusement park. It's night really dark there. Long tunnels. Kind of like an empty underground flea market. After a while I wonder if there is any amusement park going on here. I finally find a cash and ask them, what they are for. They point behind them and there is a really nice fair behind them, full of carousels and stuff. I decide to go find my boyfriend instead. I find him in the car he rented, so that he wouldn't need me to drive him.

I tell him that I found the fair but haven't bought tickets yet. He tells me that it's too late. He doesn't feel like it anymore because I took too long to come. He is tired of me and has decided that he is going to start to seek out someone else to be with because we obviously have no future. I break down. I'm torn. I think of all the sacrifices I've made and I feel dead inside.

They symbolism here is clear as day. I feel it very strongly.

The puppy is everything that I hold dear about myself.

They are all my decisions and desires. They are everything that I cherish about life. They are my values. They are beautiful because they are me. I abandon them in order to be with my boyfriend.

The overalls are all the expectations that my boyfriend had of me.

All the ways he wanted me to change. To be cuter, to be better, to turn him on, to prevent him from becoming miserable because of me. It's me walking on eggshells trying to please him. It's also his unrelenting sex drive and desires for me to fulfill all his fantasies.

The aunt is all the plans that I used to change in order to appease his need to see me.

If I didn't see him for a weekend, I was obviously abandoning him and didn't care about him. It's the guilt of hurting him. The need to please.

The dark flea market and me searching for the amusement park is the desperation to make him happy despite always facing his  disappointment

Being too late, letting him know too late about change of plans. It's all the times I've taken too long to do something. It's the guilt of never ever being enough just being me. It's all the times that I've gone to see him after he's emotionally abused me by phone or text.

The car he rented out is his incessant need for independence from me in case things don't work out. It's a symbol of him driving off from me the moment I took a bit too long to get dressed. It's him locking himself in his car after driving up to my house at 3am because I'd fallen asleep and didn't get out to get him.

The refusal to go to the amusement park and threatening to find someone new is his ultimate disillusionment with the relationship.

It's the reality that despite everything I do, despite trying to learn of all my mistakes to fix things, all the sacrifices, he is never actually going to be happy with the relationship. It will be too stable, too boring, too detached.

He's not happy with himself. He has BPD.

And I haven't been good to myself. I've driven up when he was angry with me. Because I was afraid of the idea of not being with him. It's my codependency needs. And I've hurt myself this way. I have put up with emotional and verbal abuse to appease him. As a hope that eventually he would calm down enough and want me, love me. I've become obsessed with fulfilling his needs while ignoring my own.

What a f-ed up and ridiculously accurate dream.

I've slowly begun to painfully rectify all these problems within myself... .and that's when my most intense fear came true.

Ripped Heart

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »

That's rather an insightful post misuniadziubek and I'm really pleased you were able to analyse it in great detail.

The early stages of NC are difficult for anybody and you seem to be handling yourself really well.

One thing I picked up on from your post (having also come through codependency myself) is what you had to say about the small animal. You mentioned about it being very needy and I just wondered if another part of you was looking at that as a replacement given the intensity of your relationship and the sacrifices you have made.

For me personally, I married a pwBPD/NPD and after being divorced for 2 years, ended up in a r/s with another pwBPD. Regardless of the changes I made within myself after the divorce, I was still drawn to exBPDgf because of my own need to rescue and take care of someone who was needy and came across as incapable of taking care of themselves.

You mention in your analysis that you are the puppy and that does make a lot of sense but at the same time you recognise the puppy as being small and needy, almost in a vulnerable state and that could be what draws you in. The truth of the matter which we all seem to miss when we get caught up in these types of relationship, where we make constant sacrifices for the other person, is that we inside, we are much stronger than we believe ourselves to be and taking that step to take care of our own needs can seem like a daunting task but it's a very worthwhile task.

It's your comment about loving it because it needs you that stands out there because it's much more than that. And true to what you are saying, now is the time for you to break free of that need, start to explore what makes you unique and special and spend that time getting to know yourself. Building that love based on wants, desires and achieving the things you want to do in with your life. That's where the real power comes from because you deserve you give yourself that love, care and attention and nobody can ever take that away from you 
misuniadziubek

Relationship status: Semi-long distance relationship living apart.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »

That's rather an insightful post misuniadziubek and I'm really pleased you were able to analyse it in great detail.

The early stages of NC are difficult for anybody and you seem to be handling yourself really well.

One thing I picked up on from your post (having also come through codependency myself) is what you had to say about the small animal. You mentioned about it being very needy and I just wondered if another part of you was looking at that as a replacement given the intensity of your relationship and the sacrifices you have made.

For me personally, I married a pwBPD/NPD and after being divorced for 2 years, ended up in a r/s with another pwBPD. Regardless of the changes I made within myself after the divorce, I was still drawn to exBPDgf because of my own need to rescue and take care of someone who was needy and came across as incapable of taking care of themselves.

You mention in your analysis that you are the puppy and that does make a lot of sense but at the same time you recognise the puppy as being small and needy, almost in a vulnerable state and that could be what draws you in. The truth of the matter which we all seem to miss when we get caught up in these types of relationship, where we make constant sacrifices for the other person, is that we inside, we are much stronger than we believe ourselves to be and taking that step to take care of our own needs can seem like a daunting task but it's a very worthwhile task.

It's your comment about loving it because it needs you that stands out there because it's much more than that. And true to what you are saying, now is the time for you to break free of that need, start to explore what makes you unique and special and spend that time getting to know yourself. Building that love based on wants, desires and achieving the things you want to do in with your life. That's where the real power comes from because you deserve you give yourself that love, care and attention and nobody can ever take that away from you 

You know, you are right in part, but there is a reason I said that the puppy is me. It's beautiful and adorable and unconditionally loving and very pure. A puppy would never purposefully hurt you. It is not capable of anger, it is normal for it to make mistakes. It's my relationship with myself. It's my compassion to myself. It's something that I have discovered, a pearl inside, very recently in attempting to rebuild myself while being with my partner.

The neediness is my own internal neediness. When I entered into the relationship with my pwBPD, I was extremely needy. It was something that my ex-bf hadn't been able to fulfill, and yet my pwBPD was capable of it. He made me feel safe for the first 2 months together. I felt like a fragmented broken person and he made me feel like I had some sort of worth and that I was even normal. That was the extremely validating idealisation phase.

And that's the thing. Instead of taking care of that puppy, the moment my pwBPD began to express his own needs and demands, I abandon that innocent baby animal. I abandoned my most deepest needs and sacrificed myself for my pwBPD instead. I ignored the cries and squeals. I put someone else first. As if that could fill the void inside. I'm not just a co-dependent, I'm also a co-narcissist to my mother.

For someone so afraid of abandonment like I was, I sure abandoned myself really quickly.

I wouldn't run to the rescue of someone else so quickly now either. I will do my best to show them the way, but I won't hold their hand for too long. It is not beneficial to me and it breeds codependency.

I feel that sometimes people have to feel the pain of their own decisions. In that same way, if my partner were to message me now, asking to break the NC, I wouldn't budge. This is best. For you. And for me. Nothing will ever change if we go back to old habits.

I am growing. Healing. Loving myself. I'm not abandoning my needs anymore.

I get why you saw that. Because I am a people pleaser. But it's not even a third as intense as it used to be.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest