Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 09:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend's Advice Really Made An Impact This Time  (Read 458 times)
daz_bpd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« on: June 06, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »

Ive been hearing the same advice from many sources family, friends and life coaches or psychologists all insisting how toxic this woman is I have in my life, and all letting me know how destructive she is. For some reason i have been ignoring their advice.

Well today, I saw another friend of mine, and when she told me to ask myself where i thought i would have been 5 years ago, had I not intersected with this woman (and another toxic woman before her), it really made an impact on me. Now, i knew this before, but I wasn't taking things seriously. ive been 'allowing myself to accept this new kind of reality' where i put myself second to my ex's demands, and allow the her to control- and manipulate me, to be emotionally abused. For too long this has been going on.

I do hope I am able to hang onto these emotions I am feeling because they really help to motivate me to make the changes I need.

Arcturus81

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:38:07 PM »

I am glad you are gathering strength. For me it was hearing from my expbdgf's ex husband. He and I met because they have kids together. We are actually still friends today. When the breakup happened he told me that he knew it was coming because she "has a pattern". It was then that I realized that I was not special to her. This was not intended to me individually. It was just something that she does because of who she is. It didn't make all the pain go away but it did help me to understand that these lonely damaged people just can't have an actual relationship with anyone.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find peace and happiness.
Inside

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »

ive been 'allowing myself to accept this new kind of reality' where i put myself second to my ex's demands, and allow the her to control- and manipulate me, to be emotionally abused. For too long this has been going on.

It’s taken me awhile to figure out the same, good for you.  Also, how (the hell) do I keep from repeating the same mistake... .?  I feel it’s a lack of self esteem on my part, but that stuff’s hard to build, especially on our own. 

Perhaps becoming instantly angry when coming into contact with someone who reminds us of someone who's taken advantage of us in the past might work... .?  I’ve finally developed an eye for such deceptive and controlling behavior.  But honestly, I’m shellshocked ... .almost fearful of reaching out ... .knowing my odds of latching onto another user/ abuser

So, I’m attempting to get all my S-t in order, first.  Then approach the next opportunity (for love) from a position of experience and, dare I say, power(!).  Tuff talk, hungh?  Well, if we don’t begin to view ourselves with some major worth we’re likely to repeat previous mistakes … thus making a lot of this crap our fault. 

And, if we’ve fingered the problem, we only need fix it Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

... .and again, I'm impressed with Arcturus81's insight.  The Thread likely exists, but you mentioning having formed a friendship with your BP's ex is something I find fascinating.  I've often wished I could have done the same ... .must drive the BP (further) insane, nice work Smiling (click to insert in post)
Arcturus81

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »

It does, Inside. I also helped her ex husband meet his current girlfriend. Drove her insane when I introduced them. They both were immensely helpful during the breakup and helped me see a lot of things I was actively ignoring. Wonderful people they are.
daz_bpd

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »

That is wonderful news, and Im glad you are able to have the compassion to interact with others in such a way. I also want to cultivate such love for others in my life, and embrace the fact we all looking for similar things, even when at times we are 'in competition' for each person when it comes to exclusive relationships.

Im re-reading the material from my new perspective.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest