Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 08:39:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruminating over the bad things the exBPD did  (Read 365 times)
Thegardiner

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 07, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »

I have picked this up from another post and it rings so true;

Part of the reason "splitting" is not healthy over the long run is because it doesn't lead to true healing. Over time, it takes a lot of energy to maintain and "all bad" view of someone; paradoxically, the energy expended keeps us very connected to the person who hurt us, and to the bad memories (which can become ruminations), rather than on the path of detachment. If we're experiencing black and white thinking, then by all means, let's bring it to the light.

I am in the rut of ruminating over the bad things the exBPD did. I think about it day and night and after reading the above, know that it is keeping me connected and preventing real healing. How do I stop the ruminating? It has been one month. I managed three weeks of no contact, fell back to contact as I wanted to know the truth of all the bad things she did (affair with another for past year, moved in with another for two months, a few randoms, the thing in common with all these men was cocaine and sex) and have found the courage to block her again and will continue to do so. Interestingly in that week of phone contact, she tried to resuscitate the relationship and was a master at explaining it was all my fault, I did X so she did Y... .
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »

hi Thegardiner  

sometimes i think ruminating gets an unfair rap. a lot of ruminating is the psyches way of processing the trauma and the grief, and it sounds like you have a lot of painful events that youre processing. thats not to dispute the notion that its not healthy over the long run, it can certainly become debilitating, and even self perpetuating (ruminating leading to more ruminating) and thats a sign that its time to at the very least, manage our ruminations. im just suggesting that at one month, its very common; try not to kick yourself too much. have you tried putting any of these thoughts to paper? i found that helped me.

we do have tools for dealing with ruminations that you might find useful: TOOLS: Dealing with ruminations  

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
HurtinNW

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »

I do this too, all the time.

Once thing that is helping is whenever I am ruminating I tell myself "I am ruminating." Simple but it stops it. Then I ask myself what is the feeling? Usually hurt, or anger. I try to let myself feel the emotion.

My therapist also has me looking for clarity. So say I am ruminating over the awful things he said. I look for clarity. I ask myself, is what he said about you true? I think of how it isn't true. That helps me find my reality a bit better after all the abuse. Which in turn seems to be reducing the ruminations.

I tend to wake up every night around 3am, ruminating. That's when it is especially hard. I am a little over one month out and some things are hitting me harder than ever. Sometimes I get up and read the tools here.

The tools one removed posted was really helpful for me. Keep reading all the tools, they help!

Thegardiner

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »

I am waking at 3am every morning too! It's comforting that you too at the one month point are the same. I too read as much as I can on this site, my post this morning was 3am (Au) I will certainly try as you suggested. Thank you

[/quote]
I do this too, all the time.

Once thing that is helping is whenever I am ruminating I tell myself "I am ruminating." Simple but it stops it. Then I ask myself what is the feeling? Usually hurt, or anger. I try to let myself feel the emotion.

My therapist also has me looking for clarity. So say I am ruminating over the awful things he said. I look for clarity. I ask myself, is what he said about you true? I think of how it isn't true. That helps me find my reality a bit better after all the abuse. Which in turn seems to be reducing the ruminations.

I tend to wake up every night around 3am, ruminating. That's when it is especially hard. I am a little over one month out and some things are hitting me harder than ever. Sometimes I get up and read the tools here.

The tools one removed posted was really helpful for me. Keep reading all the tools, they help!

MandyS

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »

My sympathy is with you. I found ruminating physically painful after a while, like my head was going to burst into flames. I like the suggestions above and have also found that time, strict

NC and a whole lot of self-care has helped. Best to you.
lingering

Relationship status: Married since 12/11/2009, divorce final 2-26-16

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »

hi Thegardiner  

sometimes i think ruminating gets an unfair rap. a lot of ruminating is the psyches way of processing the trauma and the grief, and it sounds like you have a lot of painful events that youre processing. thats not to dispute the notion that its not healthy over the long run, it can certainly become debilitating, and even self perpetuating (ruminating leading to more ruminating) and thats a sign that its time to at the very least, manage our ruminations. im just suggesting that at one month, its very common; try not to kick yourself too much. have you tried putting any of these thoughts to paper? i found that helped me.

we do have tools for dealing with ruminations that you might find useful: TOOLS: Dealing with ruminations  

I've been ruminating too … Just over six weeks in. I appreciate this perspective that it may not be pathological. Seeing a counselor tomorrow. Looking forward to that!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest