Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 05:48:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friends and family siding with BPD post discard?  (Read 420 times)
burton2070

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 03, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »

I posted a few days ago about the final discard happening two weeks ago. My parents were very close to her and they just don't understand what I'm going through right now. I tried to direct them to some reading on BPD tried to explain to them the way she treated me.  Basically, they have taken her side. Some of my friends have done the same. It seems everyone thinks my ex is a wonderful person who I somehow let slip away and I am the one losing my mind with all of this "psychobabble."  At this point. I'm starting to question whether they are right. Does she have BPD? NPD? Or am I losing my mind here? Has anyone else going through anything similar?
Leonis

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:44:43 AM »

From my experience, the only people that sided with my ex was her family.

My family, as well as my friends, all thought something was off about her. In addition, her friends/roommates only know that we've broken up and have nothing bad to say about me... not that I'm aware of anyways.

Then again, my ex doesn't really have anything beyond casual friends to be honest.
Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:12:49 AM »

I can relate. My ex had an affair and they broke up the family home with small kids. I was accused of emotional, physical and financial abuse and I lost all of our mutual friends, in-laws and some of my family said "you must of done something to deserve that"I got d myself defending my actions and trying to explain my side and my exBPDw's part and explaining BPD psychopatholgy.

She's not diagnosed and I told my sister that my ec mentally ill d she retorted that she's not mentally ill if she's not diagnosed. 60% of mentally ill people are not diagnosed and many people that are diagnosed don't believe that they have a mental illness.

That said mutual friends were sympathetic with exBPDw and I probably sounded crazy.

There are two sides to a story. All of our mutual  friends didn't ask me about my side of the story and some friends and family asked me about my side. I consider the people that listened to my side are people that really care about me and are understanding, people that I like to keep close and the others don't know better, listen to drama or were more friends with my exBPDw than me.

My advice is that you're not obligated to explain your exe's mental illness, don't JADE (Justify, Attack, Defend ,Explain ) Talk to people that have gone through it but BPD is an invisible disorder and directed at the people closest to them and complicated to understand if you haven't been on the receiving end of the behaviors.

The truth has a way of coming out on its own. When my ex fell pregnant after our separation with the other man'sbany, it's her fifth child and I had some family members say that there's something wrong with her when I gave them the news. I.didn't have to explain,my exBPDw actions speak for themselves. Take this time to self protect, from friends and family members if you need to and take care of yourself. The best thing to do is do nothing.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest